Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Tethering Nook Color to Android phone?

I have a Samsung Fascinate that I have rooted. I have tried tethering my NC to my phone with no luck. My NC won't see the network that my phone is broadcasting.

I also have an iPad and tethering to my phone works just fine with it. I have tried Barnacle wifi Legacy, Barnacle wifi Tether, and Wireless Tether and none of them seem to work. Do any of you have any ideas why the NC doesn't see the network from my phone?

I have also tried configuring the network by hand by going into "other networks" on the NC and putting in all the settings, but that doesn't seem to work either.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
cwosigns
cwosigns began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor/Droid Incredible
I have a Droid Incredible with the Hotspot feature and my NC sees it just fine. That's weird that your NC doesn't see the wireless networks you're broadcasting.
cwosigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I thought it was weird, too. I just can't figure out what to try. At first I thought it was because I was running a custom ROM, so I switched back to stock. But that hasn't seemed to make any difference. Humph.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
I don't know what the issue is or how to fix it, but my personal opinion is that it is likely related to the use of an ad-hoc wireless network as opposed to infrastructure mode. I would advise trying to figure out what modes the custom Galaxy S ROMs use for sharing, and, if I'm right, look for suggested workarounds.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Baka no Kami
Baka no Kami is on a distinguished road

Device: Baka no Kami
What Android version is the custom ROM? The only options I saw for wireless tethering before 2.2 were programs like Wireless Tether that did set up ad-hoc networks like LoganK said. My original nook couldn't see my phone when I tried to tether with those programs.

Android 2.2 has a portable hotspot feature (as long as your carrier didn't lock it out in their stock version). I've used that to successfully tether with both my original nook and my nookcolor.
Baka no Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
sahmad88
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I don't know what the issue is or how to fix it, but my personal opinion is that it is likely related to the use of an ad-hoc wireless network as opposed to infrastructure mode. I would advise trying to figure out what modes the custom Galaxy S ROMs use for sharing, and, if I'm right, look for suggested workarounds.
You are correct, I believe. Thanks for your input. I had no idea where to even start looking for answers to this problem. But thanks to your post I did a little more digging and found my answers. Unfortunately, this also means that it looks like I am out of luck. At least for now.

I am running Android 2.1 right now. It sounds like 2.2 might support infrastructure mode (?). I am not sure about that. And even if it does, will it work when rooted or only with the paid 3G hotspot app that Verizon will include? Because then the Barnacle or Wireless Tether have to be rewritten to support that, right?

Or maybe B&N will update the NC to support ad-hoc mode? But for now, no wi-fi tethering to my phone. Oh well, no big loss. But at least my question has been answered. Karma to you.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
traponk
traponk began at the beginning.

Device: rooted e-ink Nook
I read somewhere, either on these forums or on BN Nook forums (sorry, can't remember), that Nooks won't recognize Ad Hoc networks, which is what tethering sets up. There's probably a work around somewhere, though I don't have a smartphone so I can't be of much help in that regard.
traponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
From my very quick look it seems the Verizon Hotspot feature does have infrastructure capability...and there IS a way to get that working on a non rooted phone. Send me a PM and I can explain further. It's not overly complicated if you are already rooting your phone and installing custom ROMs.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Which device (manufacturer, type)?
Samsung Fascinate, Rooted, Clockworkmod recovery

Which firmware is installed?

What version of wireless tether are you using?
I have used Pre5, 9, and 10
What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Start the tether. it only supports Ad-Hoc connections, but the phone will allow infrastructure mode in the 3g mobile hotspot app.

P.S. there is also a Barnacle Wifi legacy app and there is at least one review that says it works on Samsung Galaxy S where the regular Barnacle wifi did not. Have you tried the legacy version?

Last edited by French; 11-30-2010 at 12:29 PM.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
sahmad88
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
From my very quick look it seems the Verizon Hotspot feature does have infrastructure capability...and there IS a way to get that working on a non rooted phone. Send me a PM and I can explain further. It's not overly complicated if you are already rooting your phone and installing custom ROMs.
Which device (manufacturer, type)?
Samsung Fascinate, Rooted, Clockworkmod recovery

Which firmware is installed?

What version of wireless tether are you using?
I have used Pre5, 9, and 10
What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Start the tether. it only supports Ad-Hoc connections, but the phone will allow infrastructure mode in the 3g mobile hotspot app.

P.S. there is also a Barnacle Wifi legacy app and there is at least one review that says it works on Samsung Galaxy S where the regular Barnacle wifi did not. Have you tried the legacy version?
Great, thanks. I don't am at work and won't have time to send you the details until I get home late tonight. I appreciate your help. A lot! Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I have the Fascinate also. Did anyone figure out how to tether NC to it?
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I have the Fascinate also. Did anyone figure out how to tether NC to it?
Yes. You have to basically install QPST on your computer and then write a file to your Fascinate.

This information was originally posted on Android Central and I think someone else picked it up on Phandroid as well. I just added to it because there were a few points that weren't entirely clear to me when I went through it.

Anyway...I posted the fix with my updates here:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-fas...ml#post1898734

And now that I have a Nook Color I can confirm that using this method will tether with the Nook.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
sahmad88
Zealot

Quote:

And now that I have a Nook Color I can confirm that using this method will tether with the Nook.
I can confirm that this works as well. Thanks, French!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Yes. You have to basically install QPST on your computer and then write a file to your Fascinate.

This information was originally posted on Android Central and I think someone else picked it up on Phandroid as well. I just added to it because there were a few points that weren't entirely clear to me when I went through it.

Anyway...I posted the fix with my updates here:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-fas...ml#post1898734

Awesome! Thanks French, I'm off to give it a try, very excited!
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 AM   #14
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I don't know if the latest builds of Wifi Tether (.14 or .15) are available on Fascinate, but on my Droid Incredible, starting with .05 (I think) infrastructure mode was made available. AFAIK, the version on Google "The Market" is still .02 - you need to download the more recent builds from the developer page.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
French
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
I don't know if the latest builds of Wifi Tether (.14 or .15) are available on Fascinate, but on my Droid Incredible, starting with .05 (I think) infrastructure mode was made available. AFAIK, the version on Google "The Market" is still .02 - you need to download the more recent builds from the developer page.
The method I posted does not require you to have rooted your phone. In my case my work detected my device was rooted and booted me off their Good server (this means I couldn't get work email on my personal device). I was rooted ONLY for wireless tether so was very happy to have found the method using QPST. For people that are rooted I would definitely suggest trying one of the newer versions of wireless tether or barnacle legacy.