Does this iliad come with a case/cover

So they tell us this is whats in the box:

CONTENTS OF THE BOX:

* 1 iLiad e-reader
* 1 Stylus
* 1 charger
* 1 travel hub
* 1 USB Cable (B)

Fair enough - but wait about a case or cover?

Anyone know if so any chance of a photo pls.

thanks

/stu
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:17 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
There is no cover or case for the iLiad available. And iRex said they will not provide one.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Nice they sell you an uber expensive gadget which can easily get mashed.. Ok so the hunt is on for the ideal cover/case. Any ideas anyone?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Sony gives you a case for that $300 - $400 So in other words I think for that Euro649,- they could have added some kind of case even if it was made of nylon.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
just come to think what the hardware costs:
  • 400 MHz Xscale CPU + PCB
  • E-Ink Screen
  • Wacom Screen
  • 802.11g WLAN-Module
  • 256 MB Flash (1)
  • Wacom Stylus
  • Battery
  • "Travel Hub"
  • Charger
  • Case
  • MMC/SD-Connector
  • CF-Connector
  • USB-Cable
(1) I think we will only see half of the embedded Flash in the specs, the rest would be used by the OS + Viewers.

I don't know, if i would be right with the prices for the components i think of, i sorted the components by estimated cost. But for me it would calculate out to something around 100 EUR under the price they sell it for.

Feel free to correct my thoughts.

But anyway you are right, even if they would be in the range of cost for the hardware i think of, they could have included a Nylon cover. (what would that cost? less than 15 EUR for them i think)
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I asked them about that a while ago...they didn't even want to consider it...an ereader without cover...is just plain insane. Even if the display is stable, it WILL accumulate scratches. Making a simple flip-cover should be possible. Sony has it, the Hanlins have it, so why can't iRex at least offer a poch for their device...plain insane.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
If a cover only costs 15$, then buy one. Maybe some 3rd party will offer nice covers for the iLiad. I personally think covers are overrated But thats probably just me.
Iirc, then Henry mentioned, that the device is actually well build, has a nice grip and a good screen surface. Will see, if an additional case is necessary, when i hold the bugger in my hand. I hope not.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Lightwedge case

Check out the Ligthwedge case on Amazon. Since the Lightwedge and the Iliad are both about book sized, this might be just the right thing. It is only $13 with shipping.

The dimensions:
Case: 11.0 x 8.0 x 1.0 inches
Iliad: 8.5 x 6.2 x 0.6 inches
Probably as close as you can expect to get, without a specially designed case.

The Iliad falls between laptops and pda/mp3 player cases, so this is all I could find.

I have ordered the case, and if one of you early orderers sends me their Iliad, I'll be happy to test it for you .

Seriously, I hope to get an invite for the Iliad soon, and will order it. Once both are here, I'll be happy to post pictures.
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
There was an article on Teleread where one of their staff visited Irex. The writer asked Irex about the cover, and they said that the screen surface was made of a heavy glass, rather than plastic, that would provide adequate protection from anything short of a direct drop. They really didn't think it was an issue.

But given the nature of the device, I disagree -- and I'm generally not concerned about screen protection (I don't have a case for my Treo). The problem with the iLiad lacking a cover is that if the device is placed in a bag with other books, the screen will be constantly rubbing up against other surfaces.

Aftermarket cases are a sub-optimal solution. The Sony Reader and Jinke are designed with mounts specifically for their covers. The iLiad was not designed to accommodate an attachable cover. There's just no excuse for this kind of oversight.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

I think Gameboy70 sums it up really If anyone see any covers which might be suitable please keep us updated.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #11
Azania
Azania began at the beginning.

Device: Palm E2; Nokia 770
Personally, I prefer no cover to some crappy piece of Nylon that distracts from the industrial strength specs of the device itself. Speaking of covers - I love the one on the Nokia 770. It automatically switches off the display (not an issue with e-ink of course) and the wi-fi when slipped on! For my Thinkpad, I use a padded envelope and then just slip the 'package' into my regular bag - I'm sure I'll do the same with the Iliad. Now if I could only get my hands on one...
Azania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #12
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

So we'll have an official cover soon

-----Original Message-----
From: iRex Shop account for online shop [mailto:shop@irextechnologies.com]
Sent: 30 June 2006 11:26
To: Stuart Young
Subject: RE: Enquiry from iRex Shop

Dear Sir,

We will start supplying covers shortly.
Unfortunately, we can not refer you to other company at this time.
Regards,
iRex Shop

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday 30 June 2006 12:17
To: iRex Shop account for online shop
Subject: Enquiry from iRex Shop

Hello please could you tell me do you supply any sort of case or cover if the iliad? If not can you recommend one?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 AM   #13
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
This is a great news.
mho: mp3-players & PNAs have specially designed "carrying cases" so the iliad "must" have one too.

But I got no invitation from irex. What a pitty!
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote