Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
I thought that had been got rid of? I bought a Kindle book just a couple of days ago priced at £0.70, and it cost me exactly £0.70...

"Kindle Price: £0.70 includes VAT* & free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet"
The $2 is charged in countries where Amazon do not have a deal in place with local telecoms providers. It used to be charged in the UK, but no longer.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I thought that had been got rid of? I bought a Kindle book just a couple of days ago priced at £0.70, and it cost me exactly £0.70...

"Kindle Price: £0.70 includes VAT* & free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet"
The delivery surcharge only applies in countries where Amazon hasn't done a deal with a local telecoms operator. It was abolished in the UK about a year ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #18
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Here is the company post about the deal:

Quote:
Einstein left us with a wealth of passionate, eloquent arguments against the weapons with which his work will forever be associated. His humanistic writings are among the 20th century's most poignant, and the best of these are collected in Out of My Later Years, a viable candidate for mandatory reading and, at the very least, a peerless addition to any library.

Out of My Later Years is just one of seven of Einstein's books that we're proud to announce are now available in exclusive, enhanced editions with new photographs, biographical information, introductions, and never-before-seen documents compiled and written by experts at the Hebrew University Einstein Archives.
The bolds are theirs, not mine. The books are $9.99 except for one thats listed as $7.59

http://www.kindlepost.com/2011/03/ei...xclusives.html
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #19
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:

For selected regions only. If I recall correctly that's the US, UK and Australia. All the rest still have to fork out for the extra fee.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #20
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Ironic that their name is open road media
Toll Road Media.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The $2 is charged in countries where Amazon do not have a deal in place with local telecoms providers. It used to be charged in the UK, but no longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The delivery surcharge only applies in countries where Amazon hasn't done a deal with a local telecoms operator. It was abolished in the UK about a year ago.
Ahhh... thanks. My error - I thought it had been more universally dispensed with.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Ahhh... thanks. My error - I thought it had been more universally dispensed with.
Nope but more and more areas are moving to the free means free as telecom deals are developed.

The books are not closed to people without Kindles. Amazon has many apps that can be used to read Amazon purchased e-books. If you chose not to use them then that is your choice.

Just like I can read library books as a Kindle user. There are apps I can use for my computer, cell phone, and the like to read books from Overdrive.

It is all legal and available. It might not be as convienent but it is available.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #23
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
For selected regions only. If I recall correctly that's the US, UK and Australia. All the rest still have to fork out for the extra fee.
.. and Canada. The additional fee was dropped beginning in May 2010.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
<tongue in cheek>

Amazon announced today that they had scored another ebook exclusive. Open Road Media have justed signed a contract with Amazon to provide 7 recently converted books written by Albert Einstein...

...here’s a guy who has been dead for 55 years, won’t benefit from this transaction, and yet his works are still under copyright rather than belonging to us all. How is that right?

...I can’t help but feel that some publishers are ghouls, picking over the bones of the dead.
These editions are specially created in Kindle format: "This authorized Philosophical Library ebook features rare photos and never-before-seen documents from the Albert Einstein Archives at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem."

Basically, the publisher decided it was not worth reprinting. Einstein died in 1955 making the body of these works public domain in some jurisdictions (Canada, for one). If there is enough interest, they can always publish in epub as well. I've never understood the flack about a publisher making market choices on which vendors to sell its goods.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #25
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Although I think some of this is a bit of an overreaction, I do have to agree that exclusives like this are not my favorite thing.

I also think this may be an argument for a shorter copyright term (life +50 still works best IMO). Total eradication is a bit of an overreaction, which as we all know never crop up on web forums.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #26
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Maybe they won't be DRM'd, then they can be converted to work on any reader.

(Amazon sells plenty of ebooks that aren't DRMd, leaving it up to the author/publisher.)
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #27
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Open Road Media are the same company which said that they'd like to break Amazon's usual 9.99 price threshold for e-books, in order to charge $14+ for theirs. And they mainly re-publish rather older backlist titles by semi-known-in-their-genre authors*, not new release hardcover-equivalent bestsellers by widely-known famous ones.

I think someone has a disproportionately skewed idea of what the likely actual market value of their catalogue is.

That said, these new Einstein editions are supposed to have extra bonus stuff that presumably wouldn't come with a transcribed older public-domain-in-Life+50-countries edition, so it's not like they're not adding any extra value whatsoever.

* Sigh. They just negotiated for all of Barbara Hambly's backlist. At least I'll always have my paperbacks & hardcovers to read from.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #28
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Nope but more and more areas are moving to the free means free as telecom deals are developed.
the sad thing is that i think it will be a LONG while before a deal here in my country is developed. people here hardly read, and i doubt that many have heard of ebooks or ereaders (none are being sold yet here). so looks like i'm stuck with the additional $2, which is unfair, considering that i'm not even using 3G. But that's a rant for another day
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #29
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
All your ebooks are belong to us.
thread over
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I don't know if I'd buy any of these books - but I can get them wirelessly delivered to any of four devices I own - so I'm not too worried about the Amazon exclusivity. I don't care for the exclusive nature, but I don't have a Kindle and I'm not locked out.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote