Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Unhappy Any chance to enjoy those promo for new sony?

Hey, guys.

First of all, I'm very honored to join this productive forum site.

I ordered my prs 650 from Sonystyle.com on 18th Sep.and received it on 23th Sep. Today I realized that they offer several promotions for new purchasers from 17th Oct. ($50 gift card and a free ebook titled 'Designated Fat Girl'.
Although I really love my sony, this news kind of discouraged me since I felt I'm excluded from those benefits just for the reason I hurried my purchase (less than 1 month gap, huh?). It seems that nobody feels uncomfortable with this, but I have to express my disappointment on this concern.

I already sent an email to ask whether I am entitled to receive those benefit and am waiting for their reply. I wonder how you guys (early purchasers of 350 and 650) are feeling on this promo. Thanks for reading and I really am glad to join this forum and share any information on sony prs 650.

Katzki
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Edited by boxcorner

Last edited by boxcorner; 10-26-2010 at 02:39 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
I called sony about this today, they said that there was nothing that they would do. I saw that I have 30 days from the shipment day to return (mine shipped on sept 21) so I am returning mine and purchasing at Borders for the free lighted case (rather than the $50 sony is offering, I chose the Borders sale since I had purchased the lighted case anyways, its just $50 back in my pocket.)

I would have gladly kept it if they price matched themselves, but they refused.

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Don't feel too bad about being an early adopter. At least you've got one and had the use of it. Not all promos are plane sailing, especially for those of us who don't live in the US (see the Any suggestions? thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102901). It is encouraging to hear that you like your PRS-650 so much. I look forward to receiving mine.
I understand what you are saying. I'm also living outside US. My friend in Delaware purchased the reader on behalf of me and sent it to me here South Korea. It cost a lot more money when custom taxes, air mail delivery fee etc were considered. It also took a lot longer time since the first purchase to receive the reader at my home. That's one of the reasons I feel uncomfortable with the promotion as I poured a lot of time and money to get it. Maybe, simply I should've waited longer if some promotion is expected sooner. I just feel bad.That's all...
Old 10-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
katzki
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcross9818 View Post
I called sony about this today, they said that there was nothing that they would do. I saw that I have 30 days from the shipment day to return (mine shipped on sept 21) so I am returning mine and purchasing at Borders for the free lighted case (rather than the $50 sony is offering, I chose the Borders sale since I had purchased the lighted case anyways, its just $50 back in my pocket.)

I would have gladly kept it if they price matched themselves, but they refused.

---dcross9818
I envy you, dcross9818.
In my case, my friend purchased the reader in the US and sent it to me. I had to pay lots of money to process such all. It seems that it will be very costly to send my reader back to USA and refund the reader and pay other custom taxes to get the new reader. So, if SONY decides not to give any benefits to early adopters, I don't have any other option but to stick to my reader. Maybe, this will affect my next purchase on sonystyle.com. Definitely, this policy increased my dissatisfaction over the purchase experience at SONYSTYLE.com.
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
katzki
Zealot

It seems that, if everyone who purcased prs 350 or 650 within 30 days from shipment would like to return their products and get refunds, sony would rather offer the benefits to the early adopters too because the costs from the returns would be larger.

Just my guess.. hehe..

Last edited by katzki; 10-19-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
I ordered mine on Sunday 10/17. On Monday I learned of the Borders promotion. I called Sony and they sounded like they were going to price match, then they reversed and said they would not. I have already told them I would be returning my 650 and requested a RMA, and I would be purchasing one from Borders.

I wonder what kind of discounts or promotions they plan for Black Friday? (Their price structure is the only reader that has a buffer to offer a discount.) I also wonder how well they will remember those who were early adopters when the price drops?
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
katzki
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Pete View Post
I ordered mine on Sunday 10/17. On Monday I learned of the Borders promotion. I called Sony and they sounded like they were going to price match, then they reversed and said they would not. I have already told them I would be returning my 650 and requested a RMA, and I would be purchasing one from Borders.

I wonder what kind of discounts or promotions they plan for Black Friday? (Their price structure is the only reader that has a buffer to offer a discount.) I also wonder how well they will remember those who were early adopters when the price drops?
Thanks for your comment, Bro Pete. I cannot understand why sony decided such policy. I guess many 350&650 users purchased the product after 9/18. It seems that there will be many returns like what you did. Surely, returned products are big losses to a manufacturer. Maybe they guessed not many US residents would return their products to get promoted ones. That looks quite stupid to me. They are highly likely to lose money from many returns and also lost 'loyalty' from early adopters most of whom are sony lovers. Just stupid...

Last edited by katzki; 10-19-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
sithpuppet
sithpuppet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
For those of you doing the return/swap for the promo(s), how are you planning in going about migrating your existing 650's library to a new one?
sithpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Sony is stupid. They will not do anything for early adapters and would rather you return it then price match it. I made a mistake of buying it in the sony store, so if I return it, I will get hit with 15% restocking fee. Oh well lesson learned - Don't buy anything directly from sony
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
katzki
Zealot

I finally got a reply from sonystyle customer care.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear *** ****,

Thank you for shopping with Sony Style.

I checked the current promotion for the Reader Touch Edition and the details show that from October 17-30, Sony Style offers a Free $50 eBook gift card with Reader Pocket and Reader Touch Edition. This promotion however is a Bundle Offer and base on the information noted in the Sony Style Purchase Assurance Program, we do not price match bundle offers.

To learn more about the Price Assurance Policy, please click the link :
https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0551&langId=-1

I understand that your purchase is less than a month ago and since I cannot fulfill your request for a price match, I requested a $20.00 credit from my supervisor. You will be receiving another email for the confirmation of the credit I requested on your behalf.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for choosing Sony Style!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He says that he requested $20 credits on behalf of me. Surely, this is better than nothing. Anybody who thinks the promo is unfair can try same thing as I did. Or if you have an option of returning and repurchasing the promoted one, then go ahead. Any way, it seems that I have to be satisfied with the $20 credits that the customer care manager struggled to request on behalf of me. Not bad.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
katzki
Zealot

Another information.

If you purchased your prs 350 or 650 from www.abt.com, just call them about their special offer of lighted covers nowadays. My friend who purchased prs 650 on 25th Sep form them, just got a reply from them that they will send the lighted cover sooner.

What a fantastic case~!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
katzki
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
Sony is stupid. They will not do anything for early adapters and would rather you return it then price match it. I made a mistake of buying it in the sony store, so if I return it, I will get hit with 15% restocking fee. Oh well lesson learned - Don't buy anything directly from sony
Just a very valuable lesson which I've forgotten.
Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by katzki; 10-19-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
katzki
Zealot

My assessment on this promotion over prs 350 and 650 is as follows

- Timing: TERRIBLE
(There are still many purchasers who bought their readers less than one month ago. They will be disappointed at sony's attitude on early adopters who had eagerness for sony products.)

- Consistency: TERRIBLE
(Sonystyle has a policy that they do not price match on bundled offers. However, a retailer such as www.abt.com has a policy to price match over their special bundle offer. Quite inconsistent and unfair. Nobody would purchase from sony directly, especially from sony stores.)

- Promotion Level: not bad but the motivation is suspicious.
(It seems that sony had been pressured a lot by kindle3's lower prices. The $50 gift card effectively lowered the prices of new sony readers. (prs350<kindle3 wifi<prs650<kindle3 3G) However, they should've done it from the beginning when they introduced the products (last month). Kindle3 prices were already very low before new sony readers came out. Sony should be suspected to knowingly exploit more money from early adopters based on the fact that usually early adopters are less sensitive to prices. Does this conspiracy theory look plausible? )

Last edited by katzki; 10-19-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
AP2F22
AP2F22 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
After I found out about this promo today, I used the customer care link to ask for an accommodation for the 50 gift card. An agent just call me back and said that they will send me the gift card, however they will charge my CC $50 for the gift card, but will refund the 50 after it is shipped.

I purchased my 650 from sonystyle on September 21.
AP2F22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs 650, sony, sony prs 650