Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #31
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
I completely understand her wanting to write under a pseudonym (but that was a bit short lived). Especially if it's mysteries for adults. Yes I liked HP, but I was in still in junior high'. I tried to pick one up again, it's clearly written for teenagers (though not the worse). It's well written but the plot doesn't hold much surprise. And the last tome was... craming all she had forgotten to tell in a number of pages that could be published as one volume ^^.

Based on her "fame", I would only read one of her books if I was looking for something to recommend for teenagers. If I were looking for mysteries, I would probably dismiss her book if written under her name. Otherwise... I might read the reviews ^^
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #32
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I put a hold on it based on the reviews and melmac's wishlist (our tastes coincide often), not because it's written by Rowling. Even better, when I was looking at the reviews on Amazon I glanced at the "other books people bought" line at the bottom of the page and noticed a new book by Mick Herron (followup to Slow Horses, called Dead Lions). Turns out my library has that as well, so it's on hold too.
I follow your recs too

The book first came to my attention when it was featured in an Audible newsletter last month, then I looked it up on goodreads and it had strong reviews. Hence it made it to the wishlist I like to discover new authors although as it turned out he wasn't new to me after all Unfortunately due to the price tag down here of $16+ for the ebook I doubt I'll be getting it in the near future

I think releasing it under another name was the only way she was going to get fair feedback about the book but I am more than a little cynical about the unmasking. One would think keeping it under wraps a bit longer wouldn't have been all that difficult if that is what they really wanted.

Last edited by melmac; 07-15-2013 at 08:13 AM.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would be surprised if Rowling had anything to do with the actual unmasking. What would she gain. She already has fame and fortune.

Publishing under a pseudonym seems a bit "poor little rich girl who wants to be recognized for merit" to me, but having done that, why open herself to ridicule from the envious and cynical?

A lot of people are involved in her life and her publishing world, and I think that one or more of of them had something to gain by leaking the authors name, if only a fleeting moment of "I know something that you don't"

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #34
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
It was a smart move on her part. Her last book suffered from expectations associated with her name.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I think many readers, in general, once they find an author they like, want to read "anything" the author writes. I'm like that to a large extent. I like Rowling's, so I'll put it on my TBR list (not sure when I'll get to it, I still haven't read A Casual Vacancy).

Although the false bio has me thinking...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If sales were favorable, I'd have tried to keep that particular cat in the bag as long as I could.
Why? One doesn't work to be come a household name just to struggle in anonymity again.

If I were in her place, I might have done the same thing. "Let's see what people think of my writing when they don't know who wrote it. Getting decent reviews? Great. I feel better. Now, quick, let's not be stupid and throw away millions more dollars."

I would not have noticed this book were her name not attached, and while the Harry Potter books were not my cup of tea, I was impressed by the storytelling and richness of them, so now that I know this is hers, I'm actually interested in seeing what she does with a mystery story.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I think many readers, in general, once they find an author they like, want to read "anything" the author writes. I'm like that to a large extent. I like Rowling's, so I'll put it on my TBR list (not sure when I'll get to it, I still haven't read A Casual Vacancy).

Although the false bio has me thinking...
Maybe this is a double bluff...we'll later find out the bio is real, JK didn't write it, and she is pulling this stunt to help another author who might not have gotten a break because of lack of name recognition....

ApK
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Why? One doesn't work to be come a household name just to struggle in anonymity again.
Why? Simply because I'm trying to believe her when she said she wished it would have stayed secret longer. That's why.

It's clearly not about sales at this point for her, so I'm going with the assumption that she wants to break away from everyone's stereotypes about her and her writing. I'm sure she'd like to write something that turned out to be something other than "a book by that woman who wrote Harry Potter." That's probably best achieved using a pseudonym at this point. But I'm guessing that's at odds with the financial strategies of everyone else who makes a living off of her writing. "You mean wanted to stay unknown with regard to this book? Oops! I'm so sorry. I had no idea."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-15-2013 at 09:20 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #39
ApK

Quote:
"You mean wanted to stay unknown with regard to this book? Oops! I'm so sorry. I had no idea."
I'm reading this through the eyes of a PR machine. There are very few acceptable ways to spin:

JK: "I'm insecure and wanted more validation."
Her empire's minions: "Too bad. We have yacht payments to make."

Last edited by ApK; 07-15-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #40
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm reading this through the eyes of a PR machine. There are very few acceptable ways to spin:

JK: "I'm insecure and wanted more validation."
Her empire's minions: "Too bad. We have yacht payments to make."
I can see that as having happened, or someone saying "you got lucky with Harry Potter so now you can sell anything", and her trying to prove them wrong.

Not that I think she is insecure, I would have no idea about that, and have a hard time imagining it. Still the minion part seems fairly likely

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #41
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
If sales were favorable, I'd have tried to keep that particular cat in the bag as long as I could. Wonder how/why it was leaked/revealed so soon?

"We've noticed that you (Galbraith) share(s) the same publisher and editor with JK Rowling. Are you (is he) JK Rowling?"
"No, of course not. That's just silly."

"Are you sure?"
"OK, yes. It's true."
Actually, I think it's pretty impressive that the secret lasted as long as it did.

House authors know each other. Within a given genre, they often hang out together at conventions, online forums, and publisher-sponsored events. If a house comes out with an exceptionally well-funded title by a mystery author who fails to show up in any of the expected venues and who also isn't available for interviews or promo ops... seems pretty likely that people will begin to speculate.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Actually, I think it's pretty impressive that the secret lasted as long as it did.

House authors know each other. Within a given genre, they often hang out together at conventions, online forums, and publisher-sponsored events. If a house comes out with an exceptionally well-funded title by a mystery author who fails to show up in any of the expected venues and who also isn't available for interviews or promo ops... seems pretty likely that people will begin to speculate.
Guess who monkey really is
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #43
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Nora Roberts went against stereotype when she first started writing as JD Robb - as I recall, her books were successful before word of the pseudonym got out. On the other hand, I don't recall a false bio for the Robb pseudonym. I don't think that, on the first books, there even was an author bio.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #44
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A giraffe? Stephen King?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #45
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
One of these chaps?

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote