Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
eGraphic Novels

Got any reccomendations for me, guys? I have Sandman and Fables in DTB, I know about Watchmen, V, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and scanned my brother's copies of those but didn't care for them, especially no LEG as much as I thought I would). Anyway, Sandman and Fables are my favorite. I also loved Daytripper and liked the first volume of American Vampire (the only one in eFormat, both purchased via the Kindle App on my tablet).

So, given that, any reccomendations for me? No manga, no superheroes (at least not used traditionally). I want some instant graphic gratification and it has become so difficult to search through the dreck on Amazon.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
The Walking Dead, Batman The Dark Knight Returns, Y The Last Man
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
The Walking Dead, Batman The Dark Knight Returns, Y The Last Man
Oh, yeah. I forgot to say I did just read the first volume of the Walking Dead. It was good but short. Amazon says there is an issue with Volume 2 they are investigating. I have been thinking about getting Y The Last Man.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Dean Koontz has two or three graphic novels in the Odd Thomas series. I haven't gotten around to reading the series yet, let alone the graphic novels, so I can't comment on how good they are.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I just read "Joe the Barbarian" by Grant Morrison and Sean Murphy and highly recommend it. Published by Vertigo and all 8 issues are 99c each on Comixology.

EDIT: Just realized the title might throw you off a bit... the story is about a diabetic boy who goes too long without his medication and starts to hallucinate that his toys have come to life and his pet rat is a six foot-tall warrior. He embarks on an epic quest that takes place simultaneously in his house, and a fantasy realm that mirrors aspects of his house. For instance, he turns on the water in his tub and it overflows onto the stairs. In the fantasy world this becomes a waterfall. The whole 8-issue story is him trying to get downstairs to get medicine or call his mom for help.

Last edited by tecweston; 06-06-2012 at 10:27 PM.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
"Habibi" by Craig Thompson is beautifully drawn. It's worth browsing to see if it's what you might like.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I just read "Joe the Barbarian" by Grant Morrison and Sean Murphy and highly recommend it. Published by Vertigo and all 8 issues are 99c each on Comixology.

EDIT: Just realized the title might throw you off a bit... the story is about a diabetic boy who goes too long without his medication and starts to hallucinate that his toys have come to life and his pet rat is a six foot-tall warrior. He embarks on an epic quest that takes place simultaneously in his house, and a fantasy realm that mirrors aspects of his house. For instance, he turns on the water in his tub and it overflows onto the stairs. In the fantasy world this becomes a waterfall. The whole 8-issue story is him trying to get downstairs to get medicine or call his mom for help.
That actually sounds pretty intriguing. I might have to check it out. Thanks for the description.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
"Habibi" by Craig Thompson is beautifully drawn. It's worth browsing to see if it's what you might like.
I am buying the first Joe the Barbarian.

I have Habibi on my wishlist. It is not available in reformat, though.

Oh, I have a rec. Heh. I loved Elfquest when I was a kid. They can't be downloaded but they are free to view online http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics3.html
Old 06-07-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Nothing beats Sandman - a work of genius! However, there's lots and lots of great comics out there. Unfortunately I've no idea which ones are available in electronic form and which ones are not, so I'll just list my favourites:
-----------
Jean Giraud/Mœbius (usually spelled Moebius) is pretty much an absolute must for anyone interested in comics. He almost single-handedly launched comics for adults upon the world (along with Philippe Druillet and Jean-Pierre Dionnet) in the form or the Métal Hurlant series (better known as Heavy Metal), which ran from 1974 to 1987. His work is often a fusion of Sci-Fi and Fantasy and is extremely imaginative, dreamlike and often very intricate. And when it's meant to be, very funny.

Mœbius' collected works are available in volumes entitled Mœbius X, where X stands for 0 to 9 (plus volume 2, entitled Mœbius ½). These ought to be in every collection, if only in deference to the the man who started it all.
-----------
Enki Bilal is another shining pillar of the comics world, whose books are very well worth picking up. He is best known for The Nikopol Trilogy (La Foire aux Immortels, La Femme Piège and Froid Équateur, or The Carnival of Immortals, The Woman Trap and Equator Cold). Other titles to look for are The Hunting Party, The Cruise of Lost Souls and The Town That Didn't Exist.
-----------
Sandman isn't Neil Gaiman's only great comic, there's also:

Hellblazer (well over 250 issues), which will be familiar if you saw the movie Constantine.

Lucifer (75 issues I think), a spin-off from Sandman by Mike Carey.

Three short series (3-4 issues each) featuring the character Death from Sandman, one of which has Gaiman listed only as a consultant (predictably the weakest one, both story wise and artistically. IMO) and entitled The High Cost of Living, The Time of Your Life and The Girl Who Would be Death.

The Books of Magic (75 issues, plus 4 prequels and various annuals), where the four prequels feature Gaiman as a writer.

The Children's Crusade (a 7 issue series).

Black Orchid (an 8 issue series) is a re-launch of an older, more traditional superhero series, resurrected in 1987 and written by Gaiman.

If you like (or love) Sandman, all of these ought to be safe bets.
-----------
Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose (60 or so issues) is quite fun, if you don't mind the protagonist being scantily clad and imbued with the kind of voluptuousness one only finds in comics.
-----------
El Mercenario / The Mercenary (13 issues, 11 in English so far) by Vincent Segrelles is a wonderful story and one of the great classics of the medium. If it's available or you come across it anyway, you should pounce on it at once.
-----------
V for Vendetta and From Hell by Alan Moore and 300 by Frank Miller. Simply must-haves.
-----------

These are just few, from off the top of my head, and admittedly a mix of what I think you're most likely to enjoy given the few you listed and what I think is obligatory for a comic book enthusiast to own. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Belfaborac; 06-07-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'll second pretty much all of Belfaborac's recs. Some of Alan Moore's best work (which probably won't hit Amazon anytime soon) was Swamp Thing and Miracle Man in the '80s. Miracle Man is a superhero, but not handled remotely "traditionally." Moore's run on Swamp Thing pretty much launched DC's Vertigo imprint for adults, as well as inventing John Constantine (Hellblazer).

DMZ is another good one, sort of a more grounded but more political Transmetropolitan (which is also fun, but uneven). DMZ is set in a near future US civil war between the red states and the blue, where Manhattan is a demilitarized zone that has been left to fend for itself. The main character is a young reporter who gets dropped in as camera crew, but ends up being the only one who can get people to talk to (and not kill) him. I want to say DMZ had about a four year run, wrapping up a year or so ago.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Locke & Key, American Vampire, Planetary, Y the Last Man.

Swamp Thing and Animal Man from DCs New 52 are also phenomenal. Very trippy. Not traditional superhero in the slightest.

You might want to check out Comixology. They have routine sales; you can often pick up single issues for 99 cents, which usually works out to half as much as a trade. They actually had a Fables 10th anniversary sale last month, and a Grant Morrison sale (Invisibles, Joe the Barbarian, We3).

Last edited by replica145; 06-11-2012 at 05:17 PM.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
Locke & Key, American Vampire, Planetary, Y the Last Man.

Swamp Thing and Animal Man from DCs New 52 are also phenomenal. Very trippy. Not traditional superhero in the slightest.

You might want to check out Comixology. They have routine sales; you can often pick up single issues for 99 cents, which usually works out to half as much as a trade. They actually had a Fables 10th anniversary sale last month, and a Grant Morrison sale (Invisibles, Joe the Barbarian, We3).
Ooooh. My brother had some of those when we were kids. I might like to check those out on Comixology, which is an awesome website/app, btw.

Thanks for all the recs, guys. I ejoyed Joe the Barbarian from Comixology and might get Y the Last Man, too.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I would recommend Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross. It is strongly metafictional like Fables and well written. It is about people who manipulate fictional universes.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
For something a bit different, I would recommend Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but it is only available for online viewing, not for downloading.
It is a complete graphical conversion of the original book, including the entire text.

Oh, and even if you don't want superheroes, you might still want to check out Batman: Year One, and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. I would have the latter up there with Watchmen for the best graphic novel ever.

For online webcomics, Girl Genius (available as PDF downloads) and Megatokyo, which oddly doesn't appear to by buyable in e-form.

Last edited by murraypaul; 06-13-2012 at 03:54 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Got any reccomendations for me, guys? I have Sandman and Fables in DTB, I know about Watchmen, V, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and scanned my brother's copies of those but didn't care for them, especially no LEG as much as I thought I would). Anyway, Sandman and Fables are my favorite. I also loved Daytripper and liked the first volume of American Vampire (the only one in eFormat, both purchased via the Kindle App on my tablet).

So, given that, any reccomendations for me? No manga, no superheroes (at least not used traditionally). I want some instant graphic gratification and it has become so difficult to search through the dreck on Amazon.
All good titles! Walking Dead and Batman are also amazing. If ya wanna try something new, check out some emotobooks. Short stories with some art, but their not graphical novels though. I like em, some of the other members like em, some of the other members don't like em. Worth checking out though, might be your cup of tea
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote