Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Sarahb69
Sarahb69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ebook formatting resets Sony PRS-505.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to both this forum and using Calibre to transfer my ebooks to my Sony Reader.

I have most recently spent a whack of time adding all my ebooks into Calibre and adding them into collections. I used to use the sony software to load my Reader but about a month ago, that software stopped opening on my computer.

Anyway, my experience using Calibre was amazing, especially when comparing it to sony's junk. Calibre is so user-friendly, and it added all the books directly into the collections and even in the right order which impressed me to no end.

Last night, I decided I would start my next book, which I'd had keyed up next in the Reader, so I went in and tried to load it, but it reset my Reader. When it came back up, I was able to load the book and start paging forward, but when I tried to resize the font for medium height, it reset the reader and does it every time I try to format the font size.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so, have a solution? Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Sarah
Sarahb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Was this a LRF format book? If so the Sony is known to be susceptible to crashing using LRF format paticularily when trying to reformat to another font size. If you use EPUB then this is a lot less likely to happen.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Sarahb69

Yes, it is an LRF book. Funny thing is before I used Calibre to transfer a pile of new books on to my reader, this particular book was working fine. I'm not sure there is a connection. Was thinking of removing the book from my reader and re-transferring it over to see if that fixes the problem. This is the first and only time I've actually seen this problem with my reader.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think is something to do with the way the information that is used by the reader to support pagination for the different font sizes is set up. When using Calibre this is done on the reader. When using the Sony software this is done at the PC end, so it is a bug on the Sony for LRF handling. I find that after a reset a LRF file that failed often now works fine. EPUB does not seem to suffer from this issue.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahb69 View Post
Yes, it is an LRF book. Funny thing is before I used Calibre to transfer a pile of new books on to my reader, this particular book was working fine. I'm not sure there is a connection.
There is definitely a connection. I switched to epub because I was tried of LRF files rebooting my reader during font changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahb69 View Post
This is the first and only time I've actually seen this problem with my reader.
When you used the Sony software to send books to your reader the computer actually did the pagination for each book prior to transferring the book to the reader. Like itimpi I found that once the reader rebooted there was now space in main memory for the temp files needed to store the pagination info. If the book was really big though it might not be able to be paginated on the reader.

That was the main reason I switched to epub.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Sarahb69

I didn't know that my Sony PRS-505 even supported the epub files. I thought it only did the LRF, PDF and RTF files???
Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
505 does support EPUB provided that you have latest rom update installed.

I stopped using LRF as soon as this update appeared.

See:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PRS505
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I've had this problem with some ePubs as well; some ebooks crash on load. Most of them work okay on a second attempt; a few don't. (I believe ePubs that have images encoded as weblinks instead of included in the file are prone to crashing, but haven't done extensive testing.)

I've also had problems with ePubs where page turns take 3-5 seconds each; this is fixed by closing out of that ebook, opening a different ebook (which always takes a long time), and then re-opening the problem book. I suspect it's caused by HTML files that are split at near the maximum 300kb instead of being split by chapters; I've found it in a few Smashwords books.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I've had this problem with some ePubs as well; some ebooks crash on load.
I've been lucky and never had a epub crash on opening. When I have a epub reboot at a particular spot I use Sigil to locate and remove the offending code.

Quote:
I've also had problems with ePubs where page turns take 3-5 seconds each; this is fixed by closing out of that ebook
The only time I've had this happen since I started using Sigil the book was causing delay problems inside the first 50 pages. When I looked at the book inside Sigil it used <div> tags instead of <p> tags and there were many nested <div> tags. I used the find and replace feature and changed the main <div> paragraphs to <p> paragraphs and deleted the useless <div> tags. This took a couple of minutes and I didn't have any problems with that book after making the change.

Quote:
I suspect it's caused by HTML files that are split at near the maximum 300kb instead of being split by chapters
With the ADE epub engine used in the 505 the split size is all or nothing, either the epub works or it doesn't. The engine doesn't care if it is split on chapters as long as the book is in small enough chunks to handle, hence the 300k size limit.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
Sarahb69

Well, as it turns out, there must have been something wrong with that particular book file. I found another copy of that book, converted it with Calibre and uploaded it to my Reader and this one is fine.

Many thanks to you all for your help! :-)