Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #3121
Gully Foyle
Gully Foyle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Gully Foyle: IIRC, there were a few over the years, but not recently (that I can remember). If someone manages to dig them up, we could probably aggregate all of them in a shiny new thread... That said, a good reason for the lack of such thread is probably the iffy copyright situations one can be in when sharing images on the 'net... .
I see your 'image sharing copyright issues' point.
As of my sphere of activity, I use tumblr platform for my blog --[sarcasm]which has a very strict policy and absolutely no issues on image copyright [/sarcasm]--, there are a number of blogs with some content, but long dead, and a few 2-3 active (mine included, plus one for kindle paperwhite higher res).
I have absolutely no info on the rest of the 'net, though, won't be able to help for a complete dig-up, I just wanted to share my part, as little as it might be.
Cheers
Gully Foyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #3122
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
@elchamaco: That's interesting, because there's indeed a bit of hackery in place for this exact thing (the first sleep cycle after a change in last book opened), at least on some models. Can't remember if I enabled it for the K3, but will check!

Which exact Kindle model/FW version are you using? And approximately how many books are there on it, total?
Welcome back NiLuJe. I have elchamaco's same symptoms. My Kindle Keyboard runs firmware 3.4
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #3123
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@PoP: Just to make sure you're both talking about the same thing:

* Open a book (A)
* Open a different book (B)
* Sleep

At this point, it's sleeping with cover A instead of cover B

* Wakeup
* Sleep

And now it properly shows cover B!

Provided you leave enough time to process the cover if those are both new books, is that what happens?

In which case, some more questions:

* How many books are there on your device?
* How's the surface temperature of the Kindle? Hot? Cold? In the usual range?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #3124
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@PoP: Just to make sure you're both talking about the same thing:

* Open a book (A) done
* Open a different book (B) done
* Sleep done

At this point, it's sleeping with cover A instead of cover B

* Wakeup after sleeping for 60 seconds, done
* Sleep done

And now it properly shows cover B! alas still on cover A

Provided you leave enough time to process the cover if those are both new books, is that what happens? after a reboot it now works again flawlessly, as you say. But once the problem starts, it doesn't generate covers for new books, and doesn't even display covers for old books it already had generated. Hmm maybe the process is dead?

In which case, some more questions:

* How many books are there on your device? about 75
* How's the surface temperature of the Kindle? Hot? Cold? In the usual range? Usual, htop shows 25% cpu busy.
Replies inline.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #3125
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@PoP: Huh. Okay, so, clearly, not what I was thinking of. Crap :/.

When you say it doesn't generate covers for new books, do you mean that it doesn't even process them (ie. nothing new pops up in linkss/cover_cache)?
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #3126
PoP

Exactly. Noting new shows up in linkss/cover_cache.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #3127
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@PoP: Is it systematic (works for one book after a reboot, then nada), or does it happen randomly, after a bit of time, or a precise event?

There's quite a bit of papering over weird stuff in the K2/3/4 version, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility . (That, and I mostly field tested this on a K4).

Do you have USBnetwork installed (more specifically, are you willing to check out what state the hack is in over SSH when it breaks)?

In the meantime, you can try enabling the verbose mode (drop a blank 'verbose' file in the linkss folder, then reboot), see if anything pops out on the status print on the bottom of the screen.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #3128
PoP

[/CODE]
Quote:
@PoP: Is it systematic (works for one book after a reboot, then nada), or does it happen randomly, after a bit of time, or a precise event? not systematic. works for a bit (quite long) of time.

There's quite a bit of papering over weird stuff in the K2/3/4 version, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility . (That, and I mostly field tested this on a K4).

Do you have USBnetwork installed (more specifically, are you willing to check out what state the hack is in over SSH when it breaks)? I do. Sure, quite willing to check.

In the meantime, you can try enabling the verbose mode (drop a blank 'verbose' file in the linkss folder, then reboot), see if anything pops out on the status print on the bottom of the screen. done :
Code:
Upon restarting:
killing... [screen update too fast to read]
unmounting custom screensaver (800x600)

As it is rebooting:
mounting... [screen update too fast to read]
S starting cover watchdog (ifnotifywait) [message everytime I reboot]
starting SS watchdog (lipc-wait-event) [in one occurence]
Replies inline.

Last edited by PoP; 06-25-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: add verbose results
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #3129
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@PoP: Okay! My favorite kind of seemingly random issue, then!

I'm done with the K2i, so my K3g is my next guinea pig for the next version, I'll try to take a closer look at what happens on mine, see if I can catch it misbehaving... (Which might happen sooner than I later, I just woke it up after its 4 months of slumber to find it in a semi broken usbnet state... >_<").

One of the things I did not test on legacy devices is whether this plays nice with Active Content (whether official, or custom Kindlets), so, if you do use some, that might be a hint.

Anyway, a few things to check over SSH:

* Look at the output of ps faux, and confirm that the three watchdogs are up (cover-watchdog, screensaver-watchdog & userstore-watchdog), and that each of them are still running their own lipc-wait-event & *-watchdog-helper instance

* Follow the log with showlog -f while opening books, see if you can spot the output from the hack

> Expected ps faux snippet:
Code:
root      1226  0.0  0.2   2656   768 ?        Ss   04:03   0:00 /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/cover-watchdog
root      1386  0.0  0.1   1572   476 ?        S    04:03   0:00  \_ /mnt/us/linkss/bin/inotifywait -m -e modify --format %e /mnt/base-us/system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref
root      1387  0.0  0.2   2656   756 ?        S    04:03   0:00  \_ /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/cover-watchdog-helper
root      1239  0.0  0.2   2656   768 ?        Ss   04:03   0:00 /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/screensaver-watchdog
root      1533  0.0  0.4  19316  1076 ?        Sl   04:03   0:00  \_ lipc-wait-event -m -s 0 com.lab126.powerd goingToScreenSaver
root      1534  0.0  0.2   2656   756 ?        S    04:03   0:00  \_ /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/screensaver-watchdog-helper
root      1247  0.0  0.2   2656   768 ?        Ss   04:03   0:00 /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/userstore-watchdog
root      1469  0.0  0.4  19316  1076 ?        Sl   04:03   0:00  \_ lipc-wait-event -m -s 0 com.lab126.volumd userstoreAvailable
root      1470  0.0  0.2   2656   756 ?        S    04:03   0:00  \_ /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/userstore-watchdog-helper
> What the hack might inject in the logs:

* Processing a new book:
Code:
130626:042959 system: I cover-watchdog-helper:def:reader settings changed, trying to extract the cover
130626:043000 system: I cover-extract:def:file extension is valid
130626:043000 system: I cover-extract:def:trying to extract cover for /mnt/us/documents/The Hunt-asin_B006JJPFU6-type_EBOK-v_0.azw3 . . .
130626:043012 system: I cover-extract:def:trying to convert /mnt/us/linkss/cover_cache/cover_raw_B006JJPFU6.jpeg . . .
130626:043023 system: I cover-extract:def:using B006JJPFU6 cover as active screensaver
130626:043024 system: I cover-watchdog-helper:def:reader settings changed, trying to extract the cover
130626:043024 system: I cover-extract:def:last read file didn't change, don't do anything
130626:043024 system: I cover-watchdog-helper:def:reader settings changed, trying to extract the cover
130626:043024 system: I cover-extract:def:last read file didn't change, don't do anything
130626:043025 system: I cover-extract:def:last read file didn't change, don't do anything
* A cache hit when switching books:

Code:
130626:043258 system: I cover-watchdog-helper:def:reader settings changed, trying to extract the cover
130626:043259 system: I cover-extract:def:file extension is valid
130626:043259 system: I cover-extract:def:trying to extract cover for /mnt/us/documents/The Hunt-asin_B006JJPFU6-type_EBOK-v_0.azw3 . . .
130626:043301 system: I cover-extract:def:cache hit for B006JJPFU6 :)
130626:043301 system: I cover-watchdog-helper:def:reader settings changed, trying to extract the cover
130626:043301 system: I cover-extract:def:last read file didn't change, don't do anything
130626:043301 system: I cover-watchdog-helper:def:reader settings changed, trying to extract the cover
130626:043301 system: I cover-extract:def:last read file didn't change, don't do anything

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-25-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #3130
PoP

Okay. Will do the monitoring. But later in a controlled new-book / old-book environment.

[EDIT 2013-06-26] 1day after boot. Normal behaviour. Processes & log as expected^^. Bug hiding

[EDIT 2013-06-27] Yawn. Still working as expected.

[EDIT 2013-06-28] Still going strong. Did I dream?

Last edited by PoP; 06-28-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #3131
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Thanks, hopefully we'll manage to squash the nasty bug this way .

I've updated my previous post with samples of what the hack wan throw in the logs, so you can recognize it in the flood of info that's the kindle log ^^.

(As for the stuff you mentioned in your previous post with the verbose mode, the stuff shown during boot/reboot looks okay, but then that was expected, since it works fine at boot . And, yeah, depending on the device/screen/fw version/temperature/moon phase/wind orientation, some of the messages override one another, or flash by very fast, or aren't shown at all, so, nothing to worry about ^^. On the other hand, it will now print, in the same way, some more stuff if a cover fails to be extracted when you open a book)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-25-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #3132
PoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Okay. Will do the monitoring. But later in a controlled new-book / old-book environment.

[EDIT 2013-06-26] 1day after boot. Normal behaviour. Processes & log as expected^^. Bug hiding

[EDIT 2013-06-27] Yawn. Still working as expected.

[EDIT 2013-06-28] Still going strong. Did I dream?
Ah, It stopped working this morning! The cover-watchdog-helper process is not running anymore :

Code:
root      2840  0.0  0.3   2656   792 ?        Ss   05:42   0:00 /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/cover-watchdog
root     26883  0.0  0.1   1572   476 ?        S    07:48   0:00  \_ /mnt/us/linkss/bin/inotifywait -m -e modify --format %e /mnt/base-us/system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref
root      2849  0.0  0.2   2656   768 ?        Ss   05:42   0:00 /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/screensaver-watchdog
root      3016  0.0  0.4  19320  1160 ?        Sl   05:42   0:00  \_ lipc-wait-event -m -s 0 com.lab126.powerd goingToScreenSaver
root      3017  0.0  0.2   2656   756 ?        S    05:42   0:00  \_ /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/screensaver-watchdog-helper
root      2859  0.0  0.2   2656   768 ?        Ss   05:42   0:00 /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/userstore-watchdog
root      2961  0.0  0.4  19320  1156 ?        Sl   05:42   0:00  \_ lipc-wait-event -m -s 0 com.lab126.volumd userstoreAvailable
root      2962  0.0  0.2   2656   764 ?        S    05:42   0:00  \_ /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/userstore-watchdog-helper
No other info, I wasn't following the log at the time.

All I did since yesterday, was 1) Wake up the Kindle 2) Look at a new book to take a screenshot for another post 3) USB connect it to retrieve the screenshot 4) *only then* did I notice the verbose messages had gone and the covers would not refresh anymore when I switching books.

[EDIT 2013-06-29 PM]

I just woke up the Kindle to resume reading a book and verbose messages + covers started to work again. There was no reboot.The cover-watchdog-helper process is back again. All happened automagically -- promise I didn't do anything special :

Code:
root      2840  0.0  0.3   2656   792 ?        Ss   11:33   0:00 /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/cover-watchdog
root     18479  0.0  0.1   1572   476 ?        S    14:43   0:00  \_ /mnt/us/linkss/bin/inotifywait -m -e modify --format %e /mnt/base-us/system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref
root     18480  0.0  0.2   2656   764 ?        S    14:43   0:00  \_ /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/cover-watchdog-helper
root      2849  0.0  0.2   2656   768 ?        Ss   11:33   0:00 /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/screensaver-watchdog
root      3016  0.0  0.4  19320  1160 ?        Sl   11:33   0:00  \_ lipc-wait-event -m -s 0 com.lab126.powerd goingToScreenSaver
root      3017  0.0  0.2   2656   756 ?        S    11:33   0:00  \_ /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/screensaver-watchdog-helper
root      2859  0.0  0.2   2656   768 ?        Ss   11:33   0:00 /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/userstore-watchdog
root      2961  0.0  0.4  19320  1156 ?        Sl   11:33   0:00  \_ lipc-wait-event -m -s 0 com.lab126.volumd userstoreAvailable
root      2962  0.0  0.2   2656   764 ?        S    11:33   0:00  \_ /bin/sh /mnt/us/linkss/bin/userstore-watchdog-helper

Last edited by PoP; 06-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #3133
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@PoP:

Thanks, that helps (And even the 'hey, it fixed itself' thing makes sense ^^).

I have a few ideas (and probably found one stupid copy/paste mistake that *might* be the cause of this), and a few things to check, so I'll probably PM you something to test sometime next week if I can't reproduce anything on my K3... .
Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #3134
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Updaaaates!

* Python 0.4.N:
Update to Python 2.7.5

* ScreenSavers 0.35.N:
Updated binaries, cover processing is possibly a bit faster
Try harder not to break the cover mode under certain circumstances (thanks to PoP for his help tracking & testing this!)
And a shiny new KUAL extension to help with the config!

* Fonts 5.8.N:
Updated binaries. Possibly better (or at least different) rendering for some fonts if you're using an FT override.
A shiny KUAL extension to help with the config!

* USBNetwork 0.48.N:
Updated binaries
A shiny KUAL extension to help with the config!

A quick note on the KUAL extensions: They've been developed to make use of some features not yet available in the current release, so, on your devices, they might look a bit messy. Know that it'll automagically get better with the next KUAL release . See this post for an idea of what it will look like .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-04-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #3135
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Errm, uhm...

* ScreenSavers 0.36.N:
Some very minor cosmetic changes, mostly to the doc, to help with support .

EDIT: The cross-compile stuff in the kinlde-x-tc tarball now bundles a ChangeLog, so you can see me rant about Python's buildsystem, or facepalming after a stray rm -rf, in the commit messages... .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-04-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet