Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Charity Anothology looking for your short sotires!

Here are the details. I am not affiliated with them in any way, but they did ask me to help spread the word a little. I am submitting a short myself.

Quote:
Hi all
A new anthology is looking for stories. If you have some spare short stories in the hard drive then here is a chance to do something worthy with them, or write one especially for the anthology!
Basic details:
The good cause is Wallace and Gromits Grand Appeal, which is a children's hospital charity. They do so many different things to help sick children, you can check it out here if you wanted http://www.grandappeal.org.uk/
So obviously no one gets paid for their stories but you do get a marketing opportunity as each writer can add a tag line and a link to their other work at the bottom of their story if they want to.

The name of the anthology is “Something For The Journey” which is the second book of an intended trilogy of story collections with the endgame being an omnibus with all proceeds going to the charity. There is the possibility of an annual franchise series and every book is open to all writers so there are multiple opportunities to be seen. Everyone is encouraged to mention the book on their facebook and webpage as well as tweet the news so that, in theory, we cover a good deal of ground.

“Something To Read On The Ride”, the first book, is now on sale in paperback and kindle if you want to get a feel for what’s needed. The target audience is anyone in the world who likes to read while waiting for or riding on a train, bus or a cab to or from work. That’s potentially millions of readers from kindle alone! Now it's a known fact that anthologies don't sell as well as novels but we're still talking hundreds of thousands of short story fans out there eager to read YOUR stories.

The rules are simple.
1 All writers agree that Stella Wilkinson is the editor and has final word on all entries.
2 Stories to be roughly around 1,000 words, though a bit more or less is fine.
3 Any topic and any genre is accepted, though nothing too violent or erotic as it must have mass appeal.
4 Email submissions directly to me as a Word attachment to: swilkinsonauthor@gmail.com Any questions please do ask!
5 If you happen to have two stories please send them but just one each is fine.
6 There is room for a few excerpts from novels in progress as long as they are self contained though short stories are best.
7 While everyone will retain all rights to their stories, we’d appreciate it if you allow it to be exclusive to the anthology for at least six months before submitting it elsewhere- where of course you’ll need to let the new publication know it is a reprinted work.
8 NOTHING can be already published on your blog or webpage or even a critique group or as a first story/prequel reader enticement for a series.

Deadline is December 11, 2013 so start typing!
Any questions please do ask!
Stella Wilkinson
Cheers!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I did it. Wrote my first short story ever! It was right around 1,000 words and the random sampling of fans that happened to be on line at the time I was writing all said it was very good! Thats 100% 5-Star from all of them. Sent it in... might write another.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Hmmm. The short story is my natural form.

When you say you shared it with a
Quote:
random sampling of fans that happened to be on line at the time
- that doesn't collide with
Quote:
NOTHING can be already published on your blog or webpage or even a critique group
? I mean, how did you share it? Just through email? Might need to know!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Hmmm. The short story is my natural form.

When you say you shared it with a - that doesn't collide with ? I mean, how did you share it? Just through email? Might need to know!
They were pre-readers. So I made a PDF and let them read it and used FB messenger to chat about it and get their feedback. I told the people I submitted the story to that I did that, it fell under editing as far as I am concerned.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Short is definitely not my usual form, but strangely enough have recently written a few - but none so short as 1000 words - the closest I've come recently is just under 3000. What I've found odd (being so unaccustomed to short) is coming across ideas that actually feel like short stories - most of the time, in the past, any attempt at short has really just been a small part of something much larger.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Short is definitely not my usual form, but strangely enough have recently written a few - but none so short as 1000 words - the closest I've come recently is just under 3000. What I've found odd (being so unaccustomed to short) is coming across ideas that actually feel like short stories - most of the time, in the past, any attempt at short has really just been a small part of something much larger.
I think 1,000 words is a bit tricky... is basically a short scene, like 1/2 a chapter or so.

I wonder if you could get you 3000 words down to 2000 maybe they would take a part 1 and 2 since they are looking for 2 stories each? Dunno, you have to email and ask.

Just an FYI the lady that is running the email account is sick (as are her husband and children) so she is behind in email. She posted that last night, so if you sent anything thing in there might be a delay in a response.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I assume she's asking for that size for a reason, it would be unfair (IMO) to allow some to sneak through with double. Anyway it's not a story I want to split because it's just one scene.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard

Write a new one then!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I found this late, but it looks interesting. I'll see what I can do.

BTW, the first book, Something To Read On The Ride, is also available at Smashwords in multiple DRM-free formats.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I found this late, but it looks interesting. I'll see what I can do.

Deadline is December 11th... so you got plenty of time. Just as an FYI: You are allowed to add a tag line and link to you work if you like. I added:

Quote:
Vincent Trigili is the author of the Lost Tales of Power series. For more information, or to find his novels, visit his website: <my url>
Just as an example. They got back to me and said my story was excellent and definitely would be included.

Last edited by VydorScope; 12-01-2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: fix broken quote tag
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Congrats!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I imagine a good way of structuring a story of 1000 words would be to think of it in 3 parts.
250 words max for the intro
500 words for the body of the story
and
250 words max for the closing of the story.
That works out to 1 page to start, 2 pages for the middle and 1 page for the end if you go by the 250 words per page formula.
Sounds like it might be a fun project to try. Congrats on the acceptance VydorScope.

Last edited by crich70; 11-18-2013 at 03:01 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've never read a sotire. What is it?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Something that's peer-reviewed in a chat group?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Something that's peer-reviewed in a chat group?
Don

Took you long enough... was starting to wonder if you cared anymore