Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #121
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Ebookwise Emags
That is your best bet... Fictionwise also offers some magazines in IMP format.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #122
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Lord, I wish someone would put out a reader with the stability and features of the ebookwise 1150 but one that used a modern large SD card. ie at least 2 gigs. I am currently fighting the jetbook lite people. Its quit working totally 2 times in 2 months now. The delstar I ordered was hopeless. Was supposed to support a bunch of formats but anything other than text it just strips out the codes and makes it into a piss-poor text file. I mean I don't WANT wifi or any of the sony/kindle extra crap. My ebookwise still works well just smartmedia is the pits and I would love to have a reliable reader that would display html without conversions. Anyone have a suggestion for a reader they would consider an updated ebookwise?
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #123
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
Anyone have a suggestion for a reader they would consider an updated ebookwise?
It would be nice if ETI released their e-ink prototype already!!!

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the ETI website was getting weekly updates.

I mean, at first, the home page which used to show a Copyright date of 2007, now shows ©2010.

Then, the News Section got a new entry for 2008, a few more entries for 2009 and even one from 2010 about Garth Conboy being elected IDPF Chairman.

Now, I'VE starting hoping for a new device from them; only time will tell.

BTW, I just saw this YouTube mini-review

of the B&N Nook by Garth Conboy.

Let's hope they release something soon; I'd buy from them again!!!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #124
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Heck just an updated version of the 1150 with a more modern LCD screen and SDCARD storage with support for one of the modern DRM format's and you've got a winner for me.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #125
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yep. And especially if they put color back, like the 1200 had. (But the better color available now.)
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #126
david1150
david1150 began at the beginning.

Device: RCA REB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
Hey guys I am having a problem with my charger/adapter for the reader. I am having to bend the cord into unsual positions to get it to charge the batter pack. I expect there is a bad spot in the cord. Can I replace it with a standard adapter ie if its 12vdc output with 1000 milllamps. Is the plug that plugs into the reader custom? ie would have to break out the soldering iron and try tp splice the plug from the current charger onto the new adapter and cord? I dont see anywhere to buy just the adapter on the ebookwise site...

Thanks in advance.
You need a 12V, 1 Amp (or more) charger for best results. Smaller chargers won't provide enough juice. The connector is a bit unusual so it can be hard to find the connector. Radio shack has some universal adapters. You need a connector with center + voltage. Use Radio Shack's 273-1775 with tip "A" (comes free with purchase) and tip set to +.
david1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #127
david1150
david1150 began at the beginning.

Device: RCA REB1150
Have you tried Calibre? It allows you to convert .mobi files to .rb files. It also accepts just about any input format and translates it into anything else. I don't see .imp on the list, but this may be one of the few exceptions. Go to http://calibre-ebook.com/ and download it for free.
david1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #128
Randal6393
Ebook Addict for ten year
Randal6393 is on a distinguished road

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Bebook Mini as lbook, Dell Axim Pocket PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1150 View Post
Have you tried Calibre? It allows you to convert .mobi files to .rb files. It also accepts just about any input format and translates it into anything else. I don't see .imp on the list, but this may be one of the few exceptions. Go to http://calibre-ebook.com/ and download it for free.
A caveat on this comment. Yes, about any book-format (newer) may be translated into .rb but the line-length and spacing lacks control. And the eBookwise Librarian will convert .rb books into .imp format. But the line height may be too small to allow you to read the resulting document.

On the other hand, if you convert to .rtf format or a text format, you may drop the resulting file into an HTML editor or use GNU-Emacs to manually add HTML markings. And add a <style> section to set the line-height to a valid size. Then eBookwise Librarian will produce satisfactory output, readable and crisp.

I asked Kovid Goyal about the .imp format and inclusion into Calibre. No plans exist for adding the format. He implied that he is not interested in adding the format at any future time, either.

So often ereaders seem to be set to only use the "modern" formats and neglect the many books already out in older formats. That's one reason why I keep a Pocket PC around with readers for .lit, .pdb, and .mobi/.prc books. Especially since line spacing and looks often suffer a beating or require a major edit before conversion.

Enjoy,
Randal6393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #129
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
Was searching around hoping for Calibre compatibility with the eBookwise reader. It's too bad to see that its a no go, though I understand the decision- we're talking about a old legacy device after all.

It's too bad though- I like the screen of the eBookwise (like the old Sony CLIE SJ20), I thought it was a good compromise of backlight and battery life and legibility. If I could use Calibre to send books to it, I would definitely pick one up as a budget ereader. Instead, I think just get a Kindle 3 and be done with it...
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #130
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
RB is an output available from Calibre and it is trivial to convert RB to IMP using a tool supplied by eBook Publisher. I suspect it could be automated.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #131
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
Aaahhh....now that sounds really promising-

Even if RB->IMP conversion can't be automated, that still sounds like a very straightforward, pain-free process. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
RB is an output available from Calibre and it is trivial to convert RB to IMP using a tool supplied by eBook Publisher. I suspect it could be automated.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #132
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
[QUOTE=madmaxmedia;1251481]Aaahhh....now that sounds really promising-

Even if RB->IMP conversion can't be automated, that still sounds like a very straightforward, pain-free process. Thanks![/QUOTE

When I want to read a book on my 1150, I convert to RTF thru Calibre and then from RTF to IMP thru ebookwise Librarian.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #133
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately eBookwise Librarian is no longer available as a product so this is not too helpful to a new user.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #134
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Unfortunately eBookwise Librarian is no longer available as a product so this is not too helpful to a new user.
Hi DaleDe,

Check out this site:http://software.informer.com/getfree...rian-download/. I was able to download the Librarian software.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #135
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigreg View Post
Hi DaleDe,

Check out this site:http://software.informer.com/getfree...rian-download/. I was able to download the Librarian software.

Greg
But is it just in demo mode without a license? I think it is only good for 3 books IIRC. I have a license copy so I can't check this.

Dale