Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
tarisea
Zealot
tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iphone
Custom Column Icons?

I have been trying very hard to figure out how to create a custom column very much like yes/no only with a third option. I like the green check mark and red x, I would like a exclamation mark if possible as the third. Is there a way to do this?
Thank you so much for your help.
tarisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarisea View Post
I have been trying very hard to figure out how to create a custom column very much like yes/no only with a third option. I like the green check mark and red x, I would like a exclamation mark if possible as the third. Is there a way to do this?
Thank you so much for your help.
There is no direct way to do what you want -- have a third icon in addition to the check and the x.

There is a way that might get you much of what you want. Create a text column with a fixed set of values. Make the values be "Yes, No, !" (without the quotes). Check the "Show checkmarks" box.

If a book has "Yes" in the column it will show the green check. If it has "No" in the column it will show the red X. If it has an exclamation in the column it will show the exclamation as a letter. Clearly this isn't as pretty as three icons, but it might be good enough to solve your problem.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
tarisea
Zealot
tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.

you are my hero. thank you so much! for bonus points where can I find a list of colors I can use. The ones I've tried are so faint so far. I'm trying to find a dark color or a way I can bold. Either way I'm pretty happy right now. Thank you again
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I believe you're asking how you can color the text within a column in response to certain criteria.

This feature is located at Preferences>Look and Feel>Column Coloring tab.

You will need to set a rule and choose a color:
Set column <custom column> to <color>
If the <custom column> has <condition>
Your choice of colors can be seen here Wikipedia: Web Colors

Setting the variables is pretty straight forward. The column names and colors are from a dropdown list; the condition is whatever you're looking to test or match.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 01-21-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
you are my hero. thank you so much! for bonus points where can I find a list of colors I can use. The ones I've tried are so faint so far. I'm trying to find a dark color or a way I can bold. Either way I'm pretty happy right now. Thank you again
I assume that you are using the box on the custom column definition to set the colors? This is a good way to do it. Of course, you can also use the coloring rules that Sabardeyn pointed you toward. Your choice.

A list of color names can be found here.
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
tarisea
Zealot

Thank you again. You have been such a huge help. I have been fighting with this so long. I love this program. It never ceases to amaze me what it does.

May I ask a question out of pure curiosity. Why doesn't the left alignment of the checkmark or the x match the left alignment of my "!". It so doesn't matter, I'm just curious.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
May I ask a question out of pure curiosity. Why doesn't the left alignment of the checkmark or the x match the left alignment of my "!". It so doesn't matter, I'm just curious.
It is one of those weird development toolkit things.

In Qt, the graphics toolkit that calibre uses, the cell that contains the information is divided into (at least) two areas: one for an icon and one for text. The text is to the right of the (possibly empty) icon. The result is that all the text is left-aligned just to the right of the icon's slot.

There is a way to remove the empty icon cell so that the text would align left under the icons. I don't trust my UI credentials enough to say whether or not this would be better.

Edit: here is an example of what it would look like. The first is what it is today. The second is what it would be if the "empty" icon was removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	434
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	99885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	424
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	99886  

Last edited by chaley; 01-22-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
tarisea
Zealot

Ahhh that makes sense. I would love to fix it but, like I said, it doesn't really matter. And I don't have any credential for any kind of programming. Thank you again for all of your help. I appreciate the time it took.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ahhh that makes sense. I would love to fix it but, like I said, it doesn't really matter. And I don't have any credential for any kind of programming. Thank you again for all of your help. I appreciate the time it took.
Are you looking for a column that looks like the second of the images I added to my post (#7)?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know if Tarisea is, but I imagine that almost anyone else using a similar column would be interested in correcting the displayed data - it just looks cleaner.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
tarisea
Zealot

I would love to make it look like the second column, I just have no idea how. If someone could offer me very simple instructions that would be terrific.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
tarisea
Zealot

I would love to make it look like the second image I just have no idea how. If someone could give me very simple instructions that would be terrific.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
My second column is Title, what is your second column? What exactly are you trying to do?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #14
Sabardeyn
Guru

DoctorOhh,
Tarisea was refering to the 2nd column image shown in Chaley's message #7. Where he's mocked-up custom formatting to shown a Y/N/Unset custom column result.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
DoctorOhh,
Tarisea was refering to the 2nd column image shown in Chaley's message #7. Where he's mocked-up custom formatting to shown a Y/N/Unset custom column result.
This is what I get for responding from a mobile App. It looked to me as if Post 11 was the first post of a new thread. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-24-2013 at 06:19 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote