Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #76
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Now that more and more form factors are available, is it time to remove the distinction between phone and tablet? How about just include voice call functions in all form factors and we are free to choose, without having to worry whether we can make calls or not?
I assume you only mean adding voice capability to 3G/4G tablets rather than increasing the cost of wifi-only models and while they could do this, it would require additional certification and testing before being approved for use by a carrier delaying a launch for limited benefit to most of its users or increasing costs.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #77
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
As a consumer, I actually don't want to know whether it's a phone or wifi connection. I just want to be able to make calls, do email, browse the Internet, etc all from the same device (preferably a 7" or smaller form factor). The simpler and easier it becomes, the better.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #78
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well, just wait about 3 years and you will get today's Note 2 for that price. Not the new model, of course. They must make money on some models. They can't give them all away. Just think how you will be helping the economy!
Well, it just happens that patience is what I have, so I'll wait.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #79
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I assume you only mean adding voice capability to 3G/4G tablets rather than increasing the cost of wifi-only models and while they could do this, it would require additional certification and testing before being approved for use by a carrier delaying a launch for limited benefit to most of its users or increasing costs.
That would only matter for carrier subsidized models, wouldn't it? Unless the carriers would take specific steps to block these from accessing their systems. Which, to my knowledge, nobody except AT&T has ever done. It definitely won't be a problem in most parts of the world.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #80
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
5" KOBO mini ereader for $80

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/k...mini-kobo-arc/

Quote:
Last and most diminutive is the Kobo Mini, the "smallest e-reader on the market," according to Kobo's calculations. The reader sports a 5-inch display and measures 5 x 5.24 x 0.41 inches, weighing in at 134 grams (4.7 ounces). Inside, you'll find an unspecified 800MHz processor and 2GB of storage. Battery-wise we're talking two weeks with WiFi off. Price-wise: $80. The Mini comes in black or white and features three interchangeable color backs.

NEXT STEP: a 5" Tablet

5" Amazon Kindle Fire
5" Google Nexus 5
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #81
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
5" KOBO mini ereader for $80

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/k...mini-kobo-arc/

NEXT STEP: a 5" Tablet

5" Amazon Kindle Fire
5" Google Nexus 5
I have carried a five inch tablet with me everywhere for the last three years.
Its made by Dell, is currently running Android 2.2 although I could get 2.3. Its called the Streak and its also a phone.

Back in the Windows Mobile Five days, HTC had one of those with a five inch screen and built in phone called the Advantage.

The five inch tablet market is nothing new in any way and it has always generated interest...its just that the prices had to drop out of the stratosphere before many people would buy.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #82
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon 7" Kindle Fire for $159 (upgraded specs from last year model too).

does that mean a 5" Kindle Fire for $129 very possible?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #83
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
does that mean a 5" Kindle Fire for $129 very possible?
No....it does not IMHO Amazon is clearly going to compete aggressively in the 7 inch form factor with this new pricing& better hardware it has made the nexus 7 not so hot all of a sudden
I see ZERO general consumer demand for a 5 inch screen to do tablet activities like reading and web surfing.

Just buy a galaxy note
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #84
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Just buy a galaxy note
Overpriced!

Even though the specs are gimped, the Galaxy Player 5.0 or 5.8 is more reasonably priced.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #85
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Overpriced!

Even though the specs are gimped, the Galaxy Player 5.0 or 5.8 is more reasonably priced.
They are just cheap. Lousy specs at a low price doesn't spell bargain to me. I wouldn't consider those if they cost $99.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #86
Top100EbooksRank
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
No....it does not IMHO Amazon is clearly going to compete aggressively in the 7 inch form factor with this new pricing& better hardware it has made the nexus 7 not so hot all of a sudden
I see ZERO general consumer demand for a 5 inch screen to do tablet activities like reading and web surfing.

Just buy a galaxy note
ZERO demand for a 5" Ipod Touch type device for $99? (it's very possible for Amazon to retail a 5" Kindle Fire Mini for $99 in 12 months).

Apple sells a lot of Ipod Touch still.

45 million + Ipods sold in 2011. I don't know how many Ipod Touch were sold but it got to be sizable chunk of that 45 millions.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #87
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They are just cheap. Lousy specs at a low price doesn't spell bargain to me. I wouldn't consider those if they cost $99.
I'd get one of those before I'd waste money on an overpriced device like the Galaxy Note.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #88
HansTWN
Wizard

To each his own, I see things differently. I rather pay a little more to get exactly what I want. And rather than just buy anything if nothing fits my wants I will just sit and wait. A bargain is no bargain if I didn't want the stupid thing in the first place. The real bargain is to get exactly what I want at the best price.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
To each his own, I see things differently. I rather pay a little more to get exactly what I want. And rather than just buy anything if nothing fits my wants I will just sit and wait. A bargain is no bargain if I didn't want the stupid thing in the first place. The real bargain is to get exactly what I want at the best price.
I have no problem paying a little more, but the price difference between a Galaxy Player 5 and an unlocked Galaxy Note is at least 2.5 times greater. That's not a little, that's outrageous.

And the problem with waiting for high spec'd 5" media players is that they'll never materialize.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #90
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'd get one of those before I'd waste money on an overpriced device like the Galaxy Note.
*is ready to pay for an overpriced device like the Note 2* just waiting for it to get here
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote