Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Thumbs up Free (DRM-free multi formats) Tintagel by Paul Cook [Sci-Fi Future Medical Thriller]

For their June Free eBook of the month, Phoenix Pick Press offers a title I've technically bought twice from them. It's probably worth it, nevertheless.

Tintagel by Paul Cook (ISFDB, Wikipedia) is his Locus Award-nominated first novel, originally out from Berkley in 1981.

This is a futuristic science fiction medical thriller involving musical viruses and dream worlds, and I ended up buying it once on its own during a 50% off sale, and a 2nd time when it was included with an 8-book Paul Cook bundle for a dirt cheap price when the last freebie by him appeared. I still haven't read it.

The tie-in deal in an ePub/Mobi DRM-free bundle directly from the publisher is for your choice of any of Cook's 7 other PPick novels for $3.99 each, but quite frankly you get a much better deal if you buy the 8-book bundle regularly-priced at $19.99 on his front-page author section which works out to $2.50 per book, unless you already own a fair chunk of his work and only need a couple of fills.

I admit I do kind of wonder how they can offer Engines of Dawn at all since it seems to have been yanked for KDP Select exclusivity, but perhaps it's just coming out of that.

Out of the lot, I've only read Fortress On the Sun, but it's really good and I liked it enough when I read it last year to go pick up Tintagel and another Cook book during the 50% off sale last year, as well as buy the 8-book bundle when it was discounted later even though I technically already had more than half of it (mind you, it was a dirt-cheap $9.99 offer back then).

Anyway, free without DRM in the format of your choice for the next month @ Phoenix Pick Press' website (scroll down to Cook's author name and click the Free eBook link and enter coupon code 9991527 when prompted).

Description
Music can be many things, but when it is used as a medium to spread a deadly virus that transports listeners to a deadly world of dreams, it threatens the future of humanity itself.

But not everyone is susceptible to the deadly virus and there is a group of 'stalkers' who are immune to its effects.

Francis Lanier is a stalker who can walk through the deadly dream worlds of others. He spends his time rescuing others from their dreams and races to find a final cure for this deadly infection.

As you'll probably notice on the front page of their catalogue, PPick are also offering a pre-order deal for Michael F. Flynn's new short story collection at a discount of $2 off the $9.99 list price, for a sale price of $7.99. Up to you if you want to get it, but I'll note that Amazon and B&N usually discount by 20% off the list price for non-Agency books, so much as I liked Flynn's writing in the few things I've read, I'll personally wait for a better offer once it's been out awhile.

ETA: ozron points out that you can use the coupon MailingList to knock the price down by another $3, for a total of $4.99, which IMHO is a definitely worthwhile deal for quality stories in a new-release collection by a well-reputed author in a DRM-free ePub/Mobi publisher-direct bundle. You'll still need to do your own backups, since there's no "cloud".

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-02-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Much better price, which I'll be taking advantage of.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
As you'll probably notice on the front page of their catalogue, PPick are also offering a pre-order deal for Michael F. Flynn's new short story collection at a discount of $2 off the $9.99 list price, for a sale price of $7.99. Up to you if you want to get it, but I'll note that Amazon and B&N usually discount by 20% off the list price for non-Agency books, so much as I liked Flynn's writing in the few things I've read, I'll personally wait for a better offer once it's been out awhile.
Use the discount code "MailingList" to get a further $3 off...
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I missed that in the newsletter ( tiny squinty HTML font choice). For $4.99 it's definitely worth getting and I'll wait a couple of days to see if the Canadian dollar bounces up a bit.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard

Just a reminder that this is the last day to get the freebie, and probably also the pre-order deal with the MailingList additional coupon discount on the Michael Flynn collection.

I bought the collection just yesterday (nearly forgot!) and it's pretty nifty. There are only a half-dozen stories in it, but they're long stories and the author gives little afterwords for them. It's about 6000 Kindle locations, which works out to somewhere around 300+ pages, IIRC.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
Thanks for this freebie and info about that site! I just found mobileread and joined only two weeks ago, I wouldn't have known about this if you hadn't just posted this reminder and got it just under the wire too!
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert