Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Unless you absolutely must have the NYT, I can't see paying for it when apps like Pulse, Flipboard, and Currents provide free news content from major sources.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You can get the NYT as a Newspaper Subscription on the Nook. It is $.99 and issue or $19.99 a month. So you do not save any money.
Apache
Ah, thank you. That makes slightly more sense, since B&N has the whole "if you're a paper subscriber, you get the e-version for free!" thing.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Unless you absolutely must have the NYT, I can't see paying for it when apps like Pulse, Flipboard, and Currents provide free news content from major sources.
News sources like AP or Reuters are good for up to the minute news (not that the NYT doesn't have such news as well), but the trade off is that the articles lack depth. Proper newspapers let readers reap the benefits of actual investigative journalism. When it comes to quality and the amount of information presented, there is absolutely no comparison.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
News sources like AP or Reuters are good for up to the minute news (not that the NYT doesn't have such news as well), but the trade off is that the articles lack depth. Proper newspapers let readers reap the benefits of actual investigative journalism. When it comes to quality and the amount of information presented, there is absolutely no comparison.
For me, I don't need that kind of depth for the vast majority of the news I read. But when I do, I just Google for additional sources.

Currently, I use Google News on my PC. For my Galaxy Player, I use Pulse News and BBC News.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #20
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Same here. I get all kinds of the free news content delivered to Calibre daily via their recipe scheduling. (and my Sony T1 considers it a "Periodical" and its layout is just like a bought magazine)
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #21
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
That's great for the couple hundred people who still have subscriptions to the Times.
Paper subscriptions plus newsstand plus digital? More like a couple million, at least on Sunday.

A full subscription to the Times does make the most sense if you live in the greater New York City area. I expect that the majority of people who will go for this Nook offer live there.

I sense some kind of low-level hostility towards the New York Times in this thread that goes beyond politics. If someone wants to slam them for the new $2.50 weekday newsstand price, go ahead. And there are some foreign news gaps because of budget cuts. But as someone who reads a bunch of papers off and on (mostly via Calibre), this one is still the best.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
You can get a full subscription for the NYT (with the option to read other papers, too) at Newspaperdirect for $9.99 a month. I read the IHT every day, on Sunday's I read one of various other papers.

So this really isn't a "deal".
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You can get a full subscription for the NYT (with the option to read other papers, too) at Newspaperdirect for $9.99 a month.
Thanks for letting me know about this.

Googling, I find that they introduced for 6 inch eInk Kindles a year ago. I didn't see the New York Times offered per se, although the Internatlonal Herald Tribune of course has most of what you want if not a New Yorker.

Personally, I am more than satisfied with the New York Times Latest News Blog at $1.99 a month, with 10-12 mostly-well-chosen (I could do without the restaurant reviews) full stories updated once an hour or so. Maybe I'll want more if I make it to retirement, but now that's about all I have time for without pushing my book reading down to zero.

Your site does have a big selection of papers. I'll have to try some individual issues.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You can get a full subscription for the NYT (with the option to read other papers, too) at Newspaperdirect for $9.99 a month. I read the IHT every day, on Sunday's I read one of various other papers.

So this really isn't a "deal".
I looked at the site and NYT is not available for me. Evidently they aren't permitted to offer the NYT to those in the NY delivery area.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #25
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Thanks for letting me know about this.

Googling, I find that they introduced for 6 inch eInk Kindles a year ago. I didn't see the New York Times offered per se, although the Internatlonal Herald Tribune of course has most of what you want if not a New Yorker.

Personally, I am more than satisfied with the New York Times Latest News Blog at $1.99 a month, with 10-12 mostly-well-chosen (I could do without the restaurant reviews) full stories updated once an hour or so. Maybe I'll want more if I make it to retirement, but now that's about all I have time for without pushing my book reading down to zero.

Your site does have a big selection of papers. I'll have to try some individual issues.
You can also ask them for a one month trial membership -- back when I started they gave me a free month of the 29.99 version. That allows you to read an unlimited number of papers over that period. You can sample most you are interested in. Though now I use the 9.99 option. With the IHT most of the articles are of interest to me, so it takes quite a while to make it through even one issue.

Works great on PC, my Touchpad, and my Android phone.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-11-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #26
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Maybe this will inspire other magazines and newspapers.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #27
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
That is definitely true. No real background info, just the basics. Headlines with a few explanations. For that I prefer to watch the news. Besides, with RSS compilations you always filter the news in a certain way -- according to your preset fields of interest.

When reading a real newspaper you discover many interesting articles you would never get to see otherwise. Broadens your horizons, so to speak. For me it is definitely worth it spending a little money on.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-11-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The pay wall pisses me off so I go to BBC for my news. It is free and it has better, more comprehensive international coverage. That and I like to see how they view news in the US.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You can get the NYT as a Newspaper Subscription on the Nook. It is $.99 and issue or $19.99 a month. So you do not save any money.
Apache
If you are a print subscriber, like me, you save a bit more than 50% of the print subscription cost by going digital plus get a free ereading device. I originally bought my Sony 950 with the intent of changing my print NYT subscription to digital, but after a few issues, my wife objected and it was back to the print version.

For a NYT subscriber, it is a good deal.

Last edited by rhadin; 01-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
For someone that's already paying for full site access (like me), adding the cost difference isn't all that big of a leap, since this deal apparently includes the Nook version of NYT + full site access. I'd have to cancel my existing plan first, I think, because the info doesn't say anything about existing subscribers unless I missed it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote