Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #31
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
So OLPC doesn't have a Pixel Qi screen.
And the first horseless carriage wasn't a "car", because the word hadn't been invented yet.

You can change something's name but that doesn't mean it's fundamentally different. I guess that's the reason that if you go to the Pixel Qi website you can read all about their screen that was used on the OLPC XO.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #32
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
You can change something's name but that doesn't mean it's fundamentally different.
Except that it's a previous generation of the technology by a different company. Other than that, not fundamentally different.

Mostly, I was just curious if Pixel Qi was actually shipping a device with their screen since we've been waiting for that to happen for over a year now. Turns out they aren't, you were just talking about the OLPC.

Last edited by Shaggy; 10-01-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #33
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Mostly, I was just curious if Pixel Qi was actually shipping a device with their screen.
You're right they don't have a device with the screen already installed, but you can buy a DIY kit with the screen and it works in several netbooks. My netbook is compatible, but I haven't felt like doing the mod.

Don't know who will get to market first, Innoversal or Notion Ink. Assuming that they don't both go belly up before then.

I'm still planning on ordering an Adam if they ever make it to market.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #34
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Except that it's a previous generation of the technology by a different company. Other than that, not fundamentally different.
Same people, same technology, different name. <yawn> Since the newer displays are better than the old, I'll stand by my position that anyone who likes the older one will like the new one more.

Quote:
Mostly, I was just curious if Pixel Qi was actually shipping a device with their screen since we've been waiting for that to happen for over a year now. Turns out they aren't, you were just talking about the OLPC.
If you'd read the previous posts of mine when asking your initial question, you'd have seen I specifically referenced the OLPC as my current device using the Pixel Qi technology.

Pixel Qi won't be "shipping a device with their screen" ever, most likely. They supply parts to other companies who want to ship devices with their screens. When those devices actually do ship is up to those companies, not Pixel Qi. Do you also complain about Goodyear when Chevy hasn't shipped a car yet with their new tires?

The screens have been available for some time, as shown by their being sold as upgrade kits for several months now. I'm pretty sure I even provided links to that for you in another thread.

Last edited by RoboRay; 10-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #35
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Pixel Qi won't be "shipping a device with their screen" ever, most likely.
Will anybody else? That's the question we're still waiting to answer.
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #36
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Do you also complain about Goodyear when Chevy hasn't shipped a car yet with their new tires?
But then again, Goodyear is already an established brand in the industry, which is kind of the point. Would there be cause for speculation about BrandNewTireCompany making lots of announcements/promises when there are zero car manufacturers shipping cars with their tires on it?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #37
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Another weekend update: http://notionink.wordpress.com/2010/...t-iv-the-eden/

This one discusses the multitasking.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #38
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I'm done thinking about it until I see something more concrete. I'm still very much interested in it, but so far it really has been more talk than anything. I'm not doubting their sincerity or ability to bring it to market, I'm just tired of getting excited over blog posts and the like.

I'm waiting until some review units get out in the wild and people have put them through their paces. I'll keep reading the blog, but I wont be jumping up and down too much
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #39
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Well, if the Adam is Droid powered, it'll come with an already extensive app base that you can tap into. Then all they'll need to do is give access to the app store.
While the app store is very desirable and convenient, it is by no means absolutely necessary. I’m pretty sure that NotionInk wil not do an AT&T and disable the allow “Unknown Sources” setting.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #40
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
They have another couple blog entries - one on the logo change competition (boring!), the other on battery life (yay).....
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #41
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
Personally I think it is too early to successfully predict the Adams success or failure, but I will never bow down before Steve Jobs house of worship. I'd rather be the "Martin Luther" that posts a list of all of the faults of the church of St. Steve Jobs on the door of One Apple Way. But there are those that are completely satisfied with that religion and would defend it to their dying breath. I'm sure glad I live in a free country.

Etienne66
I've never liked Apple. The company was based on selling a cheap to build computer at a high price and did it by selling "sizzle". At a time when $100.00 bought you a good floppy with sectoring done in hard ware, they sold a cheap plastic device with software sectors for over twice the price.

However when the young Martin Luther, put his list on the door it was done to have the church fix it's act and he had no intention at that time to split from the One True Apple.
Better to be the middle aged Martin who said everybody should be his own Android App (minister). The old aged Luther said he was right and anybody that believed differently was doomed.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote