Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
For starters, where can you find a Nexus 7 with an aluminum unibody?
I fail to see why you are stuck on an aluminum unibody. Aluminum unibody is just a marketing phrase to cover up the fact that the mini is using left over parts for outdated iPads. As long as a tablet is reasonably strong and durable who really cares if it has an aluminum unibody or a flux capacitor?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #47
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi.. all I'm saying is the the Apple company is way far ahead of the competition.. way far ahead.. I bought a 27 inch iMac 1 yr ago and the new one is 8lbs lighter than the one I have at this moment.. go to the Apple website and watch todays video of the new announcements.. that is HUGE.. they spend $50 million dollars a month on RD around the world... no one can compete.. but I still like my Kindle.. the Fire HD is nice but... I tried the Nexus 7 as well..it's nice.. but no comparision to the iPad Mini.. just my three cents..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #48
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
The iPad Mini is going to put a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE dent in every tablet on the market.. including Nexus7.. all the competition is shaking heads today.. wow.. I just returned my Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD today.. they are Dinosaurs compared to the iPad Mini.. just my 3 cents.. Apple is so far ahead of the completion it's scary.. I will be at the Apple store on November 2nd to pick mine up..
Doug
Hope your kidding cause I would not return nor trade in the KFHD or Nexus 7 if I can get the IPAD Mini for free!!!!!!!!!!!
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #49
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Hope your kidding cause I would not return nor trade in the KFHD or Nexus 7 if I can get the IPAD Mini for free!!!!!!!!!!!
The Nexus7 and Kindle Fire HD are awesome.. no doubt.. I'm just saying they are in the rear view window of the iPad Mini..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #50
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Nexus7 and Kindle Fire HD are awesome.. no doubt.. I'm just saying they are in the rear view window of the iPad Mini..
Doug
I might concede for larger tablets maybe others already released may be in the rear view of the IPAD3. The large Nook and Kindle Fire HD should make a dent though given their specs however.

BUT no way do I concede for the smaller form factor tablets that the MINI is a better alternative and therefore something I could recommend others to buy over the N7 or 7" KFHD.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #51
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Doug
I understand what you're saying, what I don't understand is why you are saying it.

From what I can tell, the only real advantage the iPad Mini has over the other two that you mentioned is access to the Apple ecosystem. Both the Nexus 7 and the 7 inch Fire HD possess a higher resolution screen and much lower price point and the same amount of storage. The only spec it beats them on is screen size, and it trades off resolution to do that.

Combine that with the fact it costs more than half again as much as these 7" Android contenders and I really don't see where the superiority comes in.

That ignores the fact that the true competition for the iPad Mini is the Fire HD 8.9", which provides a larger screen at a higher resolution. Even with 4:3 aspect ratio content, the Fire HD 8.9" can still provide the same size image as the iPad Mini (its screen is 7.5"x4.7" against the Mini's 6.3"x4.7" screen). Sure it's no longer effectively a larger screen, but it's still higher resolution and the Fire HD 8.9" is less expensive.

The 4th Gen iPad with retina display is really top-notch. I just don't see the true value in the Mini.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #52
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm just wondering which guy in line MrDoug is in the Samsung commercials .
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #53
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Lower resolution, a slower processor,and more expensive than the Nexus 7.

...how has the Mini left the competition in the dust?
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #54
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
That is a little nasty -- but MrDoug obviously doesn't quite understand that the iPad mini does have some serious issues and is much less suitable for reading than either the Nexus or the Fire HD. And that this iPad mini is not a shiny example of R&D dollars well spent but rather an attempt to sell last year's tech for an inflated price.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-24-2012 at 12:12 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
The iPad Mini is going to put a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE dent in every tablet on the market.. including Nexus7.. all the competition is shaking heads today.. wow.. I just returned my Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD today.. they are Dinosaurs compared to the iPad Mini.. just my 3 cents.. Apple is so far ahead of the completion it's scary.. I will be at the Apple store on November 2nd to pick mine up..
Doug
quick, someone give me a reality check.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Who cares, you are attempting to turn irrelevancy into an argument.
^ this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
If it dents my tablet Apple will find themselves in court!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #57
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
quick, someone give me a reality check.
Somehow I get the distinct impression that MrDoug is pulling our leg Either that or Mobilread has moved the website to a server in the Twilight Zone!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #58
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I bought a 27 inch iMac 1 yr ago and the new one is 8lbs lighter than the one I have at this moment.. go to the Apple website and watch todays video of the new announcements.. that is HUGE..
Are you concerned that your desk will collapse from the massive weight of your older iMac?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Somehow I get the distinct impression that MrDoug is pulling our leg Either that or Mobilread has moved the website to a server in the Twilight Zone!
My bet is this