Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
cjny
cjny began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
Reader locked at "starting up"

My reader has hung up at the "Starting-up" screen, like so many others. The cause probably was related to operating with a low battery condition, again as others seem to have reported. The fixes at: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...g_Instructions
don't seem to work, though. The battery should be fully charged by now. Many soft resets result in no change. The hard reset procedure never gives the described "blue flash" and does nothing. In following the unbricking instructions the unit never gets to USB mode - just that maddening "Starting up..." with flashing orange charge light.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?
cjny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried charging it using the AC adapter? Using the USB port when the battery is low doesn't always work if the battery is too low for the USB port to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
cjny

Yes, should have mentioned that. As far as I can tell without seeing the battery bar graph indicator, it has been fully charged using the AC charger. At this point the red light extinguishes after about 10 minutes when the charger is attached.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would have to say, give Sony a call. Looks like it may need to go in for repair.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
cjny

Thanks for the input. At first Sony customer service told me to take it back to where I bought it (a local Borders store). Store management said "No, it has to go back to Sony." I shipped it and they returned it Fed Ex overnight with a new motherboard and battery. So far so good.

Now that I see what a properly working unit is like it is obvious the original battery in my reader had never been able to fully charge, for whatever reason.
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Excellent! I'm glad to hear they got it worked out for you!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Glad it's working now.