Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #121
irandamay
irandamay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad 3, iPhone 5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@irandamay - I have no idea how even installing "two copies" of the plugin is possible?
Me either! I attached some screenshots though... they are both there!

Quote:
You haven't been experimenting by writing your own plugin and copy/pasted in the Goodreads plugin name or something? Can you think of any other metadata download plugins you installed recently that were *not* by me?
Second question: No, I have only installed the Goodreads and the B&N plugins by you.

First question: Yes and no. Two years ago, I downloaded a Goodreads metadata plugin and was modifying it for some forgotten reason... it wasn't doing something that I had wanted at the time. I don't even remember if I installed it... I think I was still just testing it on the command line before I lost interest. Since that time, I restarted my Calibre library (did not uninstall the app, just moved the library directory aside, which is where I had the old copy of that plugin). I did not see the plugin in the step you had me perform below... only the Goodreads.zip and Barnes & Noble.zip. I pulled the old copy of the python file out of my Time Machine backup. The old plugin was called "goodreads" and was version 1.0.1 from author "tmcone". Both of the ones I have are listed are the most recent version of yours. They both only show up when I install your plugin from either the plugin manager or manually from the zip file, and they both go away when I uninstall one of them.

Quote:
Go to Preferences -> Miscellaneous -> Open calibre configuration directory. Bring open the plugins subfolder. Delete whatever Goodreads zip files you have in there (You can ignore "Goodreads Sync.zip" if you have it installed as that is a safely different plugin). Restart calibre and look at the list of plugins you have installed - does it still show Goodreads? If not, now install the Goodreads plugin again and you should be fine.
I followed these steps. The only things in there as mentioned above were Goodreads.zip and the B&N one. I deleted Goodreads.zip, restarted Calibre, confirmed that there was no Goodreads plugin showing, and reinstalled it. Now there are two again (the screenshots attached were taken after performing these steps).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120715-ep8tdubhcnew9g422wkqinq1hu.png
Views:	572
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	89183   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120715-gmhx8yr1fdcp5wxp514hwy2b6c.png
Views:	556
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	89184  
irandamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #122
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hmmm, there are two ways you can approach this I can think of, unless Kovid has a suggestion. Quite frankly the simplest way is to use a sledgehammer - close calibre, open your calibre configuration folder, delete the entire configuration folder (not just the plugins subfolder - the whole thing to include all your calibre preferences). It won't touch your library in any way, but it will mean you lose any tweaks, plugins, customised toolbars etc. Then Restart calibre, point to your library location, put back in your customised settings and reinstall the B&N and Goodreads plugin. That should *guarantee* no more issues.

Alternatively uninstall the Goodreads plugin and close calibre. Then go poking around in all the calibre configuration files looking for any occurrences of "Goodreads" and try to remove them from the file. However there is (1) a chance you will screw up and cause calibre errors, and (2) a chance that the file might be a pickle file which can't be edited in a text editor like a json/py file can. So you would end up having to delete the whole calibre configuration directory anyway.

Up to you, unless Kovid has any better ideas but the first suggestion above is the easiest. You can always copy any settings like tweak values, regexes etc to a text file to paste back in afterwards. Or take screenshots of your settings pages.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #123
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Deleting customize.py and the plugins folder in the config directory should be enough as far as fixing multiple plugin listings is concerned. As for settings from the plugins themselves conflicting, the safest way is to nuke the entire config directory.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #124
irandamay
irandamay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad 3, iPhone 5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Deleting customize.py and the plugins folder in the config directory should be enough as far as fixing multiple plugin listings is concerned.
Yay! Thank you both for your help... this did the trick.
irandamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #125
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
I'm currently working on my own master json file and thought this might be useful for anyone else attempting to map out their own list of genres/tags.

They're just meant as a starting point for anyone who wants to make a custom list of tag mappings from scratch. These aren't plug and play lists.
If you don't know how they'd be useful to you, they won't be

The genre genrelistnested.txt file is a list of all the tags (745 of them) currently on the http://www.goodreads.com/genres/list pages in nested form (minus a couple non-English tags that Notepad mangled).

Example:
Spoiler:
Genres > Fiction > Adventure
Genres > Biography > Adventurers
Genres > Cultural > Africa
Genres > American > African American Literature
Genres > Romance > African American Romance
Genres > Cultural > African American
Genres > Literature > African Literature
Genres > Science > Agriculture

The genres.txt is an unnested and unprocessed version of the same list of genres.

Example:

Spoiler:
adventure
adventurers
africa
african-american
african-american-literature
african-american-romance
african-literature
agriculture
albanian-literature
alchemy
alcohol
algorithms
aliens
alternate-history
alternate-universe
Attached Files
File Type: txt genres.txt (9.4 KB, 721 views)
File Type: txt genrelistnested.txt (19.5 KB, 621 views)

Last edited by DedTV; 09-09-2012 at 03:31 PM.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #126
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Upload library data to Goodreads account

Hitherto I haven't been all that interested in Goodreads, however they have released an Android app that allows me to scan barcodes on my books and that way keep my library intact within the framework of Goodreads. This would be a great tool to shift format towards future eBook releases. But in order to do that I also need to upload data on the eBooks I have. Since they are all in Calibre, Iäm curious if this Plugin allows me to sync my Calibre library (that only contains eBooks) with Goodreads (that will also contain pBooks)?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #127
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Iäm curious if this Plugin allows me to sync my Calibre library (that only contains eBooks) with Goodreads (that will also contain pBooks)?
Not this plugin, but the Goodreads Sync plugin should work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #128
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
I keep my tags in lower case. If I let this plugin update tags, it changes the tags to be capitalized. Even if I make the mapping a lower-case tag. Is there a tweak or a setting I can use to keep my tags the original case?
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #129
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Having problems downloading metadata from Goodreads. Not all books are displaying this behavior, but, some are. For example, the following. Can anyone help?

calibre, version 0.9.2
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'Rob Thurman'], u'identifiers': {u'isbn': u'9781451652222'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'All Seeing Eye'}
Using plugins: Goodreads
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 3.79100012779
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=9781451652222
ISBN match location: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13260196-all-seeing-eye'
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13260196-all-seeing-eye'
Could not find title/authors/goodreads id for u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13260196-all-seeing-eye'
Goodreads: u'13260196' Title: None Authors: None

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 3.81 seconds
The longest time (3.791000) was taken by: Goodreads
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

Last edited by Japes; 10-19-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #130
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
nobody?
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #131
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
nobody?
No issue with 0.9.3;
Quote:
See at: Goodreads, 9781451652222
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #132
zoorakhan
zoorakhan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2
importing .json file in portable calibre for extended goodreads genre mapping

Any idea how to use the goodreads.json file DoctorOhh posts here [http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...&postcount=15]

I have calibre 0.9.9 portable installed with latest version of this plug in.
Step 3 he mentions is :
3. Find the plugins directory under your calibre configuration directory.

Which in my case must roughly translate to:
D:\Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings\plugins
I have windows 7 and I checked the appdata folder does not have anything by calibre (which makes sense since this is a portable installation.

It only has a zip file of goodreads and copying the file in the zip file or copy pasting the contents of file in "plugin-import-name-goodreads.txt" file in goodreads zip file doesn't seem to work.

Any solutions or an updated file (in case of plugin or website changes) would be hugely appreciated.

zoorakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #133
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoorakhan View Post
Which in my case must roughly translate to:
D:\Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings\plugins
This is the directory you want.

Quote:
It only has a zip file of goodreads and copying the file in the zip file or copy pasting the contents of file in "plugin-import-name-goodreads.txt" file in goodreads zip file doesn't seem to work.
The file in the zipped file is Goodreads.json not Goodreads.

Quote:
4. Rename your existing goodreads.json file to goodreads.json.org in case you feel the need to go back to it.
5. Place the new goodreads.json (from the zip file) file in the plugins directory.
6. Start calibre
If you follow the steps and replace your Goodreads.json file with the Goodreads.json in the zip and then start calibre you should have quite a few mapped genres ready to go.

If it doesn't work I'll be glad to upload the exact file I'm using currently.

Update: Upon review the file that is zipped is the exact file I'm currently using.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-08-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #134
zoorakhan
zoorakhan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2
Works perfect thanks. I think I understood all your instrctions but dunno, i think the first time i did not see the goodread.json file in the plugin directory of my portable calibre installation. Maybe I restarted calibre and that fixed it.

But i see now in in configure goodreads plugin 298 goodread genres instead of 50 or so default genres this plug in came with.

Thanks a whole bunch. It significantly reduces the time I would have put in (which would be have amounted to nothing, since i m pretty sure i would have given up after the job was half finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
This is the directory you want.

The file in the zipped file is Goodreads.json not Goodreads.

If you follow the steps and replace your Goodreads.json file with the Goodreads.json in the zip and then start calibre you should have quite a few mapped genres ready to go.

If it doesn't work I'll be glad to upload the exact file I'm using currently.

Update: Upon review the file that is zipped is the exact file I'm currently using.
zoorakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #135
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thanks a whole bunch.
You're welcome!

Tags
goodreads, metadata