Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Kingpinx
Kingpinx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Using Calibre to stock my iPad kindle app - sorting question

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster

I'm using Calibre to convert my non-amazon files to mobi, then I drag and drop the files into iTunes under the apps/file sharing section. I'm using all the default settings in Calibre. It's working really well, except for one thing.

When I look at my library on the kindle app, the author sorting isn't right.

For instance, take James Ellroy. He should be appearing under E like this to match my kindle store purchases: Ellroy, James

Instead he appears under J as: James, Ellroy,

I've tried changing the author sort in Calibre to the following:

Ellroy, James
Ellroy James
James Ellroy
James, Ellroy

None of the above seem to work. Any ideas on what I should do? I've tried googling for the answer but no-one seems to be having this specific problem. I'm a bit scared to mess around in the 'tweaks' section for fear of messing something up.

Last edited by Kingpinx; 01-29-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Kingpinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Are you reconverting after making these changes? Simply changing the metadata in Calibre does not change the underlying ebook files. You either need to run a conversion or use a Send to Device/Folder to get the new metadata embedded in the file.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
itimpi most likely hit it on the head. You might want to use the Connect to iTunes feature for transferring your books to iTunes. Read this post for info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Kingpinx

Thanks for the replies.

The connect to itunes feature is optimized for iBooks though right? I much prefer the kindle app.

You were right about converting the files again. I changed the author name to 'Ellroy James' and converted once again. It now appears in the kindle app as 'Ellroy, James'.

The only problem now is my Calibre library looks a bit ugly with 'Ellroy James' in the author column
Old 01-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpinx View Post
You were right about converting the files again. I changed the author name to 'Ellroy James' and converted once again. It now appears in the kindle app as 'Ellroy, James'.

The only problem now is my Calibre library looks a bit ugly with 'Ellroy James' in the author column
The plugboard feature should work, check out this post.
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Kingpinx

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Hopefully it works for the kindle app as well as iBooks which is referenced throughout.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpinx View Post
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Hopefully it works for the kindle app as well as iBooks which is referenced throughout.
Plugboards work in many ways including save templates check out the first post.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Kingpinx

I figured it out. I think the key point was I had to delete the book from the app before transferring the new one in with the correct author sort. I have no idea why the meta data was screwed up to begin with but it's ok now. Thanks for the help.