Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Top Ten Reasons To Not Buy An iPad

In an article in the Wall Street Journal, Brett Arends lists ten reasons why he would not buy an Apple iPad:

Quote:

Apple's (NasdaqGS: AAPL - News) tablet computer is this year's hottest adult toy. Sales are booming. James Cordwell, an analyst at Atlantic Securities, expects the company to sell six million this quarter, half of them here in the U.S. It's driving the company toward what will probably be yet another blowout Christmas period.

But you can count me out. I don't want an iPad for Christmas, thanks very much.

Sacrilege!

Why? Here are my reasons.

For the full article, see here.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-23-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Edited by moderator to remove the full article
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
I dont disagree with these but then again I dont like Apple.
I don't agree with some points, but others, I can completely understand...

But this:

Quote:
Civilization, a role-playing game,
is completely wrong. Civ isn't a role playing game at all. It's a board game, turn-based and strategy.

(but it is highly addictive, I've lost many a night to that game!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I agree with most of it. Even the stuff I don't agree with is funny. However, like a lot of good advice, it'll go unheeded.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Heh, I like being part of the Apple cult. We're all just one big happy family. I would have waited in line to get an iPhone 4, but this thing called work got in the way

On a serious note, although I like Apple products for their design and their quality (and yes, I have used other products so I can compare), I don't want an iPad. I have a Macbook Pro and an iPhone, so why would I need it ? On the other hand, if someone gave one to me ... I wouldn't complain
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
I would love to have one for reading comics but after 2 i pods Im not buying ianything.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Not too many of those are actually criticisms of the device though. While I have one and like it - it is definitely not without its flaws. And many of the points I agree with even if some are general comments about consumer electronics.

My first generation iPhone is still in daily use so I don't recognize the paperweight description. Frankly I haven't had many phones last this long.

Last edited by greencat; 12-23-2010 at 03:21 AM.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
On the other hand, if someone gave one to me ... I wouldn't complain
Hey, you should never complain about things you get! Especially not gadgets!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
I won't buy an iPad chiefly because:

- You can't run anything on it that hasn't been vetted by Apple.
- Pathetic connectivity
- It won't print.

The iPad is a great device, but its software enslaves you to Apple and their narrow-minded, revenue-centric business model. No thanks...
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #9
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
- You can't run anything on it that hasn't been vetted by Apple.

You can if you want to, it's called jail breaking.

- Pathetic connectivity

What's pathetic about Wif and 3G, more than most laptops.

- It won't print.

I've printed since its launch, so your wrong there, yes it needs additional software, but then you need that for most PC's they are called printer drivers

As for Apples business model, show me one business, who is in it for anything but the money? The whole point of being in business is make money out of something other people want. Apple seem to be really really successfull at this, and other seem to be jelous their success!

This world is full of people who obviously have nothing better to do with their time and slag off companies or brands simply because they don't like them.

Linux people do it to Microsoft, Microsoft lovers do it to linux users and apple.

Me I just buy what gadget I find useful in my life and let others get on with the slanging match, except for today, because I'm bored and sat in Starbucks on my IPad!!!!
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
You can if you want to, it's called jail breaking.
You can't if you just want to be a normal user who just wants to use the device. I can goof around with computers as well as the next guy, and I'm aware the iPad has been jailbroken (which works until Apple decides to release a patch I suppose), but I just don't want to: it's a pain in the neck, it voids the warranty, and with a device like this, I just want it to work.

Same reason I'm not going to flash my Sony Reader to get a clock and slightly better fonts: I just can't be bothered. Some things I want to hack, some I don't.

Quote:
What's pathetic about Wif and 3G, more than most laptops.
Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant the lack of USB and ethernet ports. Those you get in a regular laptop, and (at least USB ports), in other tablets too.

Quote:
I've printed since its launch, so your wrong there, yes it needs additional software, but then you need that for most PC's they are called printer drivers
Printing without a Wifi-enabled printer, and without a USB port? Fat chance... I'm pretty sure the iPad can't print to an IR printer either. And no, I don't want to have a computer running and sharing its printer just to do that, or buy a new printer.

Quote:
As for Apples business model, show me one business, who is in it for anything but the money? The whole point of being in business is make money out of something other people want.
If people want to let Apple tell them what they can or can't run on *their* iPad, fine by me. I don't.

My idea of an honest business model is to sell the iPad, sell the possibility of buying through the Apple app store (better support, better integrated software, safe and PG13, yada yada), but also let iPad owners install whatever else they want if they choose not to.

Heck, they can even refuse to honor the warranty if I install unapproved 3rd party software. I'm a big boy, I can decide if that's what I want to do, but they should at least let me decide. Apple however behaves like daddy who needs to shield his slightly retarded child from the bad bad world of buggy or inappropriate software. Sure the Apple experience is slick as a result, but the price to my freedom would be too high.

Quote:
Apple seem to be really really successfull at this, and other seem to be jelous their success! This world is full of people who obviously have nothing better to do with their time and slag off companies or brands simply because they don't like them.
My friend, I hate to tell you this, but you really come across as something of an Apple fanboy. In the real world where I live, people don't give a toss about a company's success and aren't jealous of them. Me, I look at the value proposition of an iPad for 5 seconds, then I move on to the next aisle: that's how long I think about the Apple company when I pay a visit to my local computer shop.

I don't fondle myself thinking about Linux or Windows either: I just don't care about them, as long as they meet a certain number of technical and ethical criteria. Beyond that, I don't care, I have better things to do in my life really.

Quote:
Me I just buy what gadget I find useful in my life and let others get on with the slanging match, except for today, because I'm bored and sat in Starbucks on my IPad!!!!
If you're happy with your iPad, that's all that matters. I'm glad you are. I was just stating why I wouldn't be happy with it myself. I wasn't dissing Apple, no need to get your pants in a knot...
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I have one question - is the battery any easier to change than the one on my sons old ipod touch (with the now broken screen and the need to weld in the new battery in and replace said screen this coming weekend)? I can't imagine why they made it so hard to replace; unless they're disposable devices?
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Good reasons for me to not buy any product:

1. It doesn't serve my needs.

2. I can't afford it.

3. I can wait to see whether something better comes along.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my iPad. I consider it money well spent. I'm sure something better will come along, but I can always upgrade.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The first couple of point are true of everything electronic. Something better and cheaper is always coming someday. Many of his other points are negated by his claim the iPad will be boring. How can it be addictive and boring at the same time?

As for apps being vetted by Apple, 50,000 have gotten through making the iPad a fantastic platform. Then one can jaialbreak if there is something they are desperate to run.

But I give him props for stating these are his reasons, and not why NOONE should get one

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Mildly amusing.

As lee said, items 1, 2, 4, and 9 are reasons to never buy ANY electronics. Those are terrible arguments. Item 3 is almost as vacuous because competing tablet forms were MORE expensive. He should thank Apple for lowering the bar on device price, not complain about their margins.

Item 7? If you like games you want to play. If you can avoid games... you don't want to play.

Item 8, go hug a tree. You're not singing to most electronics consumers with that one.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I won't buy an iPad because I have an unreasonable dislike of Apple and Steve Jobs.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote