Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #15886
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Meanwhile, I've started Mine by Robert McCammon. One of my favourite horror authors, I try to read one of McCammon's books a year under the theory that if I progress slowly I'll never run out of new McCammon books to read.
Well, that was a great book. It's what I would call relentless. It's tiring by the end, but very worthwhile.

Next up is an odd little indie number called Under the Looking Glass by Alisa Tangredi. I reviewed one of her books very favourably on my site last year and I was happy to look at another of her works.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #15887
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I just finished "Shadow of Freedom" by David Weber.

Now onto "The Alloy of Law" by Brandon Sanderson....i loved the original Mistborn trilogy.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #15888
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I am late to the party, but I just finished Wool (1). I loved it!
Now the omnibus edition is on my wishlist
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #15889
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I just finished "The Pines" by Blake Crouch. At first I was a bit dissatisfied with his constant reminder of how unsettling things felt, how sinister things seemed to be, etc., as if he couldn't come up with a better way of developing the mood. But for some reason, I wanted to continue reading it... and glad I did. This wasn't the best written piece I've ever seen, but it sure had a surprise ending! I never saw it coming! A quick read that I'd recommend to those who aren't too finicky about writing style but love good content!

Stitchawl
A good, fast and fun read, I thought, and a great "reveal" at the end. I agree it wasn't great literature, but I liked it enough to get another of his books, Desert Places, which I'll get to soon.

Currently reading Guilt by Kellerman, another in the psychologist Alex Delaware series. Good solid stuff, if not particularly exciting at the moment.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #15890
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
A good, fast and fun read, I thought, and a great "reveal" at the end. I agree it wasn't great literature, but I liked it enough to get another of his books, Desert Places, which I'll get to soon.
It was enjoyable enough for me to read more of his stuff, even though I usually don't care for the Horror genre. It was that, as you put it, "reveal" at the end that sold me. Mystery/Thriller is my main material as I love to try to figure out 'who done it?' "Pines" had me completely fooled.

Quote:
Currently reading Guilt by Kellerman, another in the psychologist Alex Delaware series. Good solid stuff, if not particularly exciting at the moment.
I really enjoyed the Alex Delaware series... for about the first 10 books. Then it started getting a little too 'dark' for me.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #15891
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Stranger in a strange land, Robert A. Heinlein. Good story!
(I don't grok why they wanted to ban this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Now onto "The Alloy of Law" by Brandon Sanderson....i loved the original Mistborn trilogy.
Tell me what you think of it when you're done, if that's not too much of a trouble. I too loved Mistborn (although it's predictable), but didn't like the setting of Alloy of law and the changes of magic abilities.

Last edited by maianhvk; 03-13-2013 at 09:32 AM.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #15892
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am about to start Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold. This is my first foray into the Vorkosigan Saga.

Quote:
Leo Graf is an effective engineer. Safety Regs aren't just the rule books he swears by, he'd helped write them. All that changes on his assignment to the Cay Habitat. Leo is profoundly uneasy with the corporate exploitation of his bright new students--'til that exploitation turns to something much worse. He has never anticipated a situation where the right thing to do is neither safe nor in the rules.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #15893
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am about to start Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold. This is my first foray into the Vorkosigan Saga.

Note that falling free is set in the same universe as her Vorkosigan books, but a few hundred years earlier and with no common characters. It is an excellent story. I hope you enjoy it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #15894
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Note that falling free is set in the same universe as her Vorkosigan books, but a few hundred years earlier and with no common characters. It is an excellent story. I hope you enjoy it.
When I was looking up the reading order, I found out that Lois actually recommends chronological order. So I'm going with that. After Falling Free (if I like it) comes Shards of Honor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #15895
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Masks of Time by Robert Silverberg.
Dated. A little dull. A little too earnestly 'literary' for my taste. I was a little surprised that it didn't have the obvious ending but instead just tailed off. I was disappointed that none of the characters in the story speculated about the obvious ending that there could have been to the events depicted.

Next up: Prophecy by Tianna Xander. I bought this back in April 2009. I'm not sure why. It doesn't look to promising so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #15896
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I have recently finished The High Place by James Branch Cabell. It is predictably a satiric fantasy--but that's about all that is really predictable in this very imaginative novel filled with the most mischievous turns of of plot--not least the cheeky ending.
If you insist on your fantasy being serious--Beware! Otherwise a wonderful bit of iconoclastic froth.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #15897
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been experimenting with different genre lately, with my read of '11/23/63' and 'Pines.' Now I've begun what I believe to be Fantasy with Robin Hobb's "Assassin's Apprentice." Just a few pages into the book, and so far it reminds me of the beginning of the movie "A Knight's Tale." If the book is half as much fun as that movie was, I think I may be in for some pleasant reading!

Stitchawl
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #15898
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Finished that up at lunch and time to move to the next one, Immune.
These have been quick reads. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the last one (3/5 stars or so for me), but it was still ok. If I didn't know it was a trilogy, I could have ended here since the main plot lines have mostly resolved (with several ways out of course) even though there are a couple large items lingering.

Since these have been so fast, I will go ahead and move onto the next one, Wormhole.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #15899
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Next up is an odd little indie number called Under the Looking Glass by Alisa Tangredi. I reviewed one of her books very favourably on my site last year and I was happy to look at another of her works.
I really enjoyed this novel. It was creative, quite surreal and also shocking. It jumps all over the place dropping bits and pieces of narrative and dialogue as it jolts and stutters onwards until I started pulling some of those pieces together. The final picture was a surprise.

It uses the side effects of insomnia, medications and various psychiatric practices/theories to take the reader and the main character "down the rabbit hole".

This is the second book I've read from this author and I've been impressed both times.

Now, another watery novel awaits. This time it's the classic adventure Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas by Jules Verne. I am really looking forward to this as it is, in some ways, a revisit to that time when my interest in reading was sparked - when my Mother bought me abridged versions of some of the classic adventure stories like Treasure Island. I decided late last year that I was determined to read the unabridged versions of all those books that started my reading passion and this is the first in that effort.

It's also the book club read for March - apologies to all those who didn't appreciate my nomination.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #15900
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've been experimenting with different genre lately, with my read of '11/23/63' and 'Pines.' Now I've begun what I believe to be Fantasy with Robin Hobb's "Assassin's Apprentice." Just a few pages into the book, and so far it reminds me of the beginning of the movie "A Knight's Tale." If the book is half as much fun as that movie was, I think I may be in for some pleasant reading!

Stitchawl

Let me amend this to read: 'A Knight's Tale Meets Game of Thrones.'

Stitchawl