Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
nikde
nikde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can't restore my K5 to factory default

Hi all.

I made some changes on my K5 (etc. install launcher, change Amazon Store icon to browser icon...) and now, I need reset it to factory default.

So, I follow debricking instructions (if I understand, that is only way although my Kindle is still working). At first, I followed method with Fastloader, but my Windows 7 had some troubles with drivers.
So I was following https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2202022 but there are some problems to connect to Kindle via SSH. When I try establish connection, in the putty there appear error "Network error: connection refused".

When I try connect to kindle via SSH in normal boot mode (not diags) it works well. But I have some questions about pass. I see here in many topics that root password is fionaXXX or mario but for me works everything. I can connect as root with no entering pass to, just press enter. But when I enable WiFi acces, I cant login as root neither with mario not with fiona noth without pass (tried via WiFi also via WiFi). With enabled Wifi access, there is some else screen too. Without there appears something like "Welcome to kindle..." when I logging. When Wifi enabled, this is missing.

Can you explain me, how that root passwd works? And give me some token to reset my Kindle to factory default?
nikde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Why not use the un-installer for each of the packages you added?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@nikde: That's an USBNet feature. When you use dropbear over USB (default settings, WIFI disabled), it doesn't check the root password.

TL;DR: Read the USBNet doc.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
^ this & ^ the one above

the jailbreak = one tiny file

your other apps = un-install launcher, just fixup the link the store and replace old image?

unless you noob-sprayed junk all over (doesn't read like you did TBH) a couple of hours wiping seems like mucho effort.

still - if you want to - fair enough - your password is bypassed (IIRC) so even just "ENTER" will work to get access via usb0.

depending on the CONFIG in usbnet (that's /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/config ) different types of authentication may be used... read the README in the usbnetworking package. probably just want to add an authorized_keys file (with the right junk in it) for what you EXPECT to happen to happen.

Wiping the device is always an option. but it couldn't hurt to give the docs one more eye-over before making that decision.

TL;DR?: /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/config

Last edited by twobob; 11-18-2012 at 09:38 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Diags SSH only works if you flash a diags+ssh partition and kernel. You can do that with "dd" from your working main SSH.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
askak
Enthusiast
askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Don't worry about the password, if you can ssh anyway you have it solved.
Just download a mmcblk0p1 image from here the one that matches your kernel and firmware. Descompress it and in normal usb mode put it on the main directory, like when using a hack (/mnt/us).

Now, acces the kindle through ssh and follow geekmaster's commands from the debricking post,
Quote:
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
Exit the ssh and reboot.

I damaged the filesystem and since I could access the kindle with ssh, I solved this way. I hope it works for you.
askak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askak View Post
Just download a mmcblk0p1 image from here the one that matches your kernel and firmware. ...
The "pastebin" and mirrors are in the first post of the "simple debricking" sticky thread. It is best to look there. But if you decide to post URLs to the pastebin or mirrors, the pastebin.com URL will not change, and the snipurl.com URL will not change. However, the sebsauvage URL pointed to by the snipurl will change every time its contents are modified, so it is perhaps the worst of the bunch to embed in a post as you did here.

The easiest to remember, which will always be current, is:
http://snipurl.com/debrick

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-18-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
nikde
nikde began at the beginning.

Yes, I can use uninstaller, but I still know, how can I debrick device.

I installed update_k5_diags+ssh.bin from here http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images.php, but I still cant connect to device via SSH in diags mode. Kindle allways refuse connection. Is there some thing what should I do expect install update and enable ssh in diags?

Thanks for explain me, that i cant know pass in dropbear mode . So, when I want use SSH via wiFi, I have to know root pass. Marios isnt it, so I can try some fionaXXX pass. It is normal that mario is not working?
nikde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikde View Post

I installed update_k5_diags+ssh.bin from here http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images.php, but I still cant connect to device via SSH in diags mode. Kindle allways refuse connection. Is there some thing what should I do expect install update and enable ssh in diags?

Thanks for explain me, that i cant know pass in dropbear mode . So, when I want use SSH via wiFi, I have to know root pass. Marios isnt it, so I can try some fionaXXX pass. It is normal that mario is not working?
Did you manually assign the IP address to 192.168.15.201, for your host PC RNDIS network device?

Did you start USB networking in diags, with menu items N) U) Z) X), then wait about 20 seconds for the network to start?

Did you flash the matching diags kernel for that diags+ssh partition?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikde View Post

okay - there was little niggle with that installer IIRC (the info I am talking about is on the thread)

I had an issue where it claimed to install but didn't. Another person (at least) reported the problem. It revolved around using the -C flag in kindletool or something at package time IIRC (from memory, something like that)

Don't know if Ixtab ever published a "final" version. I would imagine so but... yeah... can't hurt to check.

Also my version of Diags had a nasty little bit of code that wiped /usr/local/bin at reboot... but a complete and working flash of Ixtabs version should also fix that problem... (I just fixed mine by-hand in the end, the threads around that are all on here (MR)... err... Kindle diags accapella version https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=113 around there anyways)

good luck. In the end I didn't actually end up using my diags SSH access much. much could be done via other means.

Last edited by twobob; 11-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
geekmaster

SSH over wifi requires a change to /etc/iptables, to allow port 22 through. You should find information on that in the K4 hacking wiki, where it was commonly used.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
okay - there was little niggle with that installer IIRC (the info I am talking about is on the thread)

I had an issue where it claimed to install but didn't. Another person (at least) reported the problem. It revolved around using the -C flag in kindletool or something at package time IIRC (from memory, something like that)

Don't know if Ixtab ever published a "final" version. I would imagine so but... yeah... can't hurt to check.
Umm... yeah, sort of
The "final version" is here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...ssh_README.txt
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Umm... yeah, sort of
The "final version" is here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...ssh_README.txt
Ooh that is sexy. I'm glad I read that!