Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
jackdeth191
jackdeth191 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 (MIA @ sony laredo) / Kobo wireless (#2)
[Old Thread] unable to convert ebooks(rtf, txt,lit,html,pdf) to lrf in calibre .4.131

hi there, i've completely removed my previous version of calibre (including wiping the database folder) and installed calibre-0.4.131 on a windows MCE machine with service pack 3 installed. Now when I try to convert a book (I've tried lit, rtf, txt, html, and pdf books) the job window is updated with the job, but the status is "Waiting" and it never changes, the progress is listed as Unavailable and the running time is blank.

Double clicking on the job gives me no info other than:
"Job: Convert book: (book title)"

I then click stop job, and the job is removed from the list, however the job icon still shows one job and the hourglass is still turning. Double clicking on the icon shows no jobs. Control-q does quit the application (closes it anyways) but it's still running, to actually stop it I have to give it the three finger salute and kill the process.

I can of course just convert with a 3rd party app and send the txt files to the sony with calibre but in the past calibre's conversions worked much better with a better looking final product...

Also, if it matters when I successfully send a file, or do any actions, the completed % is 10000 which is a tad high but as it's always given the extra 00's it's not a new problem.

So, a few questions:

1) whenever i remove calibre, it remembers where the stored books/database is, so obviously it's not being fully removed (despite the folder program files/calibre being deleted) where are these settings stored so I can fully nuke and reinsall calibre to see if that fixes things?

2) are there known bugs with SP3, or the M$ .net 3.5 sp1?

3) any suggestions outside of those covered by the first two questions?

Thanks for any advice.
jackdeth191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre stores settings in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\calibre (or the equivalent depending on the variant of windows). With the latest calibre releases there is an option specify this via an environment variable but that is not set by default. This option was added to support mobile calibre installations.

I am converting all those format you mention without issues on XP Pro +SP3 which I thought was fundametally the same as the MCE variant, so cannot guess what your problem might be.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
jackdeth191

Ah ha, should have guessed that... Update: have now completely removed calibre (via the uninstall link), then deleted the database folder and the data folders \application data\calibre and application data\kovidgoyal.net. I then rebooted and reinstalled .4.1.3.1 and you guessed it, same problem (but as I deleted the config files it did ask where to store the library so apparently they weren't the problem).

*sigh* on the bright side, this version runs flawlessly on my xp box.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
so run it on your xp box
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try running a conversion from the command line with

Code:
any2lrf filename
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
jackdeth191

Oddly enugh running the command line to convert books that previously froze the program (both html and lit) works flawlessly. The resulting book can then be imported into calibre and passed on to the reader. The issue is only when the conversion is run from the gui.

I've verified I only have the single copy of any2lrf on my system as well if it helps.

This will around to allow me to continue using the MCE system for my library
Old 01-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case it is most likely an overly aggressive antivirus program that is preventing the GUI from launching worker processes to do the conversions
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
jackdeth191

Yup, looks like the culprit was outpost, once it was disabled things were back to normal.

Thanks much!
Old 05-02-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
jane
jane began at the beginning.

Device: sony e-reader 505
Also, this is what i get when i want to see the book in LRF Viewer, al Calibre:

error: unpack requires a string argument of length 8
Failed to render document
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 33, in run
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\lrfpa rser.py", line 28, in parse
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\lrfpa rser.py", line 56, in _parse_objects
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\objects.pyo", line 973, in initialize
error: unpack requires a string argument of length 8
jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

open a ticket and attach the file