Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Gagan
Gagan began at the beginning.

Device: epub
converting pdf to epub

I want to convert pdf files to epub format. I tried calibre but the epub generated is not good.
If anybody is using any other tool for the same conversion.Please let me know as well.
Gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan View Post
I want to convert pdf files to epub format. I tried calibre but the epub generated is not good.
If anybody is using any other tool for the same conversion.Please let me know as well.
First convert from the PDF into HTML and make sure you've fixed all of the errors in the HTML due to converting from PDF. I've never yet seen a PDF converter that does it 100% error free. So it could be the ePub is reflecting the errors in the conversion process from PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
PDF is the worst source format that you can use. Don't expect any good result with automatic conversions from PDF to ePub: you'll always have to fix a lot of things manually.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
If anybody is using any other tool for the same conversion
The only other ebook-centric converter I am aware of (which does not convert to images) is Windows MobiPocket Reader or Creator, which will convert from PDF to MOBI. Calibre can then convert the MOBI to ePub. This may be no better than Calibre's native converter, but it might be worth trying. Note that the source code for the underlying pdf2xml is available, see Mobipocket convert in mass?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
Gagan
Gagan began at the beginning.

Device: epub
I have tried both the conversions pdf>html>epub and also pdf>mobi>epub.
But both have some problems and html files have to be manually modified to get the required epub.
Where can I find the source code for pdf2xml ?
Thanx for ur time..
Gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Where can I find the source code for pdf2xml?
It is at pdf2xml homepage.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
alhaqpk
alhaqpk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Try this website: http://epub2go.com, it's free ;-)
alhaqpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
FWIW I've found the only way to get a good conversion from PDF is the labour-intensive one: export the PDF as text, load the .txt into your favourite text editor, use extensive search & replace to eliminate hard line endings etc (or perhaps less search & replace if you have any competency with regex, which I don't), convert quotes to “ etc., and finally turn it into a decent epub with Sigil. Loading into Calibre is then of course a trivial exercise.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I've tried most of these methods, but the best so far is to open the PDF in an OCR program and generate a new text file from that. Then manually delete any headers and footers, and fix any broken paragraphs. I haven't seen any common OCR problems yet, presumably because the text in a PDF will be perfectly straight and without any scanner or paper noise.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree, I usually use Abby Finereader to OCR the PDF. Still a lot of manual afterwork, but the results are quite good.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I haven't seen any common OCR problems yet, presumably because the text in a PDF will be perfectly straight and without any scanner or paper noise.
No OCR artifacts? None?

That sounds like your OCR program is "cheating" and using PDF tags, when and if they are available.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhaqpk View Post
Try this website: http://epub2go.com, it's free ;-)
This website, like as many others, uses Calibre to make the conversions. If you don't like Calibre, will not like even ebup2go.

Luke
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
Bluesteel
Bluesteel began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I have found the simplest way

http://ipadhelp.com/ipad-help/covert...s-to-the-ipad/

Simple as 123.
Bluesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesteel View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that site uses calibre for its backend as well, no?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:13 AM   #15
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesteel View Post
It uses Calibre's engine. Try a conversion, open the ePub ancd check it.

I release a new version of writer2epub, it corrects many issues unde Windows OS.
Look in my signature to download it.

Luke
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote