Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #106
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

The program "scrivener" is designed with that methodology in mind ....
Yep. I plan to use the ideas as outlined in the first few chapters to build things up a bit. They have the goal of 20k words which comes to some 666.666 words per hour so I figure 50k is well within reach as 50k should come to the goal of 1667 words within that same time. I mean if you figure 250 words per page that's only 6.668 pages an hour which is certainly a reachable goal I'd think.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #107
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I've been lurking and reading here for quite some time and have found this forum a tremendous help. Seeing others set and realize goals is quite inspiring for me.

My goal is to finish the novel I began approximately a year ago. It's a YA sci-fi, fantasy, futuristic-type novel and will likely be the first of a series. In the past two months I have picked the novel back up after a six to eight month hiatus and am writing like a fiend. I think I've discovered that sweet point where you fall in love with your own book. I can't stand to be away from it and I'm anxious all the time when I'm with it. I guess my biggest fear is that what I'm writing will bear no resemblance to the vivid images in my mind.

I hope everyone goes through this when they write as well. Otherwise I'm probably going crazy. My husband found me up writing at one in the morning last night and I felt like I was creeping around behind his back.

So my writing goal is to finish this book by summer and publish it on Smashwords. I have approximately 65,000 words written so far and the plot is just starting to heat up. Like most of you, my biggest challenge is finding time to put the words on paper while working full time in a non-writing field.
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #108
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
I've been lurking and reading here for quite some time and have found this forum a tremendous help. Seeing others set and realize goals is quite inspiring for me.

My goal is to finish the novel I began approximately a year ago. It's a YA sci-fi, fantasy, futuristic-type novel and will likely be the first of a series. In the past two months I have picked the novel back up after a six to eight month hiatus and am writing like a fiend. I think I've discovered that sweet point where you fall in love with your own book. I can't stand to be away from it and I'm anxious all the time when I'm with it. I guess my biggest fear is that what I'm writing will bear no resemblance to the vivid images in my mind.

I hope everyone goes through this when they write as well. Otherwise I'm probably going crazy. My husband found me up writing at one in the morning last night and I felt like I was creeping around behind his back.

So my writing goal is to finish this book by summer and publish it on Smashwords. I have approximately 65,000 words written so far and the plot is just starting to heat up. Like most of you, my biggest challenge is finding time to put the words on paper while working full time in a non-writing field.
I remember a feeling like that when I did NaNo in 2009. Of course I had the added feeling of having kept up to the daily goal as well since I had to reach a particular word count on a given day.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #109
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, at least I'm not going crazy!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #110
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Excellent! Good Luck!
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #111
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...] I guess my biggest fear is that what I'm writing will bear no resemblance to the vivid images in my mind.

I hope everyone goes through this when they write as well. Otherwise I'm probably going crazy. My husband found me up writing at one in the morning last night and I felt like I was creeping around behind his back. [...]
Yep. During the first novel of the series I'm writing I generally described myself as schizophrenic: some days I thought I was doing well, other days ... far from it. It wasn't until I finished that I was finally able to make some reasonable assessment.

As for 1am, that's about when things are heating up for me. Though it's now approaching 3am here and I've definitely cooled off again - but it's been a good night, a good day actually, so at least I'm going to bed happy ... though it's anyone's guess when sleep will actually happen.

Best of luck with it. Getting excited about your own work is a good sign I think - if you can't do it for yourself, how can you expect to do it for others.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #112
mbelec
Addict

Thanks for the encouragement.

Schizophrenia described it exactly. Sometimes I read over what I've written and hate every word. Then I pick it up a day later and it seems pretty good after all. Some parts flow out of me like they're writing themselves and I feel like I can't get the words out fast enough. Other times it just drags along and I wonder why I'm writing at all.

3 am? You are dedicated! My day job gets me up at 5 am, so last night has to be an aberation for me. Otherwise I'll be useless during the day.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #113
cathalmc
cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Good luck everyone with your goals! I just published my first novel to Bookbaby last week which is very exciting. I'm gonna publish 100 paperback copies to sell to friends and have a small book launch party in March. Then I need to get back to finish off that travel book I've had lying around for two years ... It *will* be done by the summer. And then I've got another idea in the pipeline.

Ideas are easy (especially bad ones), finding the time to do them is the hard part!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #114
RaphaelOKeffe
RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My writing goals for this year? To publish as many information products as possible.

I want at least 20 books posted up that are of quality content and I plan on conducting a lot of interviews and constructing all of that information together to create some solid products.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #115
RaphaelOKeffe
RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I feel this is a pretty solid goal for this year. Excited!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #116
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
20 books???? I hope you do not mean WRITE 20 novel length works this year?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #117
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[...]3 am? You are dedicated! My day job gets me up at 5 am, so last night has to be an aberation for me. Otherwise I'll be useless during the day.
I work for myself from home, which has two good advantages: the boss understands when I'm a little late, and there's no travel time so I can afford to sleep in. Also, even for my day job, I've always kept some pretty strange hours, so my clients have grown used to the idea that they should only phone early if it's an emergency, which is good, but they also know they can phone very late, which is not so good.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #118
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement.

Schizophrenia described it exactly. Sometimes I read over what I've written and hate every word. Then I pick it up a day later and it seems pretty good after all. Some parts flow out of me like they're writing themselves and I feel like I can't get the words out fast enough. Other times it just drags along and I wonder why I'm writing at all.

3 am? You are dedicated! My day job gets me up at 5 am, so last night has to be an aberation for me. Otherwise I'll be useless during the day.
I forget where I read it or how the quote itself goes but I remember reading something somewhere where if most people hear voices in their head it's a sign of mental illness but it's a sign of the muse helping us along if we're a writer.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #119
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I forget where I read it or how the quote itself goes but I remember reading something somewhere where if most people hear voices in their head it's a sign of mental illness but it's a sign of the muse helping us along if we're a writer.
Reminds me of a line from the movie Speed: NO! Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

I'm still hoping for my promotion from crazy to eccentric.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #120
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Reminds me of a line from the movie Speed: NO! Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

I'm still hoping for my promotion from crazy to eccentric.
All you have to do is win big at the lottery. The rich are eccentric by default.
Closed Thread