Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #16
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I believe it
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
So, 83% had read a book in English the last 6 months. Jumping from that, to "80% of registered voters read a book [in any language] for fun in the last one month" is not such a big step.
Well, the title of the article claims "80 Percent of Californians", not "80 Percent of registered Californian voters", but okay. According to the 2011 California Voter Registration Report, 72.8% of eligible Californians are registered to vote in 2011. Which takes the actual percentage of book-reading Californians down to 58.24%. Which still seems a bit too high, considering that a number of polls like this one consistently show that about up to a quarter of American adults don't read books at all, or that the typical American only reads four books a year.

Also, considering 83% of Americans claim to belong to a religious denomination, it's worth pointing out that, in other surveys, of those who read, the Bible and other religious works are always the top choices, read by nearly two out of every three. The survey I linked claims that minorities (among other groups) are especially prone to reading religious literature, and 37.6% of California's overall population are Latinos.

The point is, let's not get overly optimistic here. Whatever the reason, the numbers in the poll still seem to be at least a little bit off.

Last edited by c861556; 05-04-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: URL typo
c861556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
Agreed. I take public transport every day (in Berkeley) and at wildly different times each day. In the year since I bought my nook (and the whole E-ink thing went mainstream), I have seen exactly ONE other ereader in public. Of course, it's more than likely that people are reading on their smart phones instead of getting dedicated ereaders, but still ...

Maybe we're just too poor for ereaders and our nieghbors across the bay have most of those 18% .
I never see ereaders in the wild. I think the last time I saw a Kindle in the wild was back when the first became popular.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote