Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 09-17-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
SMS finds Wi-Fi Hotspots

BBC runs a story how Totalhotspots.com has joined up with phone services firm Mobile Commerce to let UK people consult a directory of hotspots while on the move.

Anyone using the service can find their nearest hotspot by texting the word "hotspot" to the 84140 SMS short code number. In return they will get data about the name, address and telephone number of the nearest wi-fi locations

I hope this Wi-Fi finding service will soon become globally available!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:35 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Unfortunately in the U.S., thanks to recent changes in the anti-terrorism laws, accessing any computer system you do not own, without explicit permission (having an open WAP is not "granting" permission), will land you in jail, if caught. We've no-doubt all heard the story about the priest who was busted for accessing the public library's wireless network from the park bench outside the library.

Which is somewhat ironic, because Intel is pushing their "Centrino" technology hard, with advertisements that show exactly this kind of behavior. It also means that going into any Panera Bread location, Starbucks, or other spot where there is publically-accessible wifi, puts you in jeapordy.

If you do not have specific, explicit permission (i.e. with a username, password, login, or signed contract of some sort), to access the computer (and this includes "computing devices", such as routers, WAP routers, and other similar "computing devices"), you will be nailed.. eventually.

Title 18, Part I, Chapter 47, Section 1030 is pretty clear on the issue. There is also an enlightening article at SecurityFocus on the matter. What is ironic, is that the Washington office of the FCC provides their own public wifi hotspot, and even encourages people to use it! The City of Philadelphia is even considering turning 135 square miles of the city into a $10M public wifi network.

This may or may not be lawful, but it is happening quite a lot. Having your laptop or PDA confiscated indefinately, while they figure out what law to really throw at you, is not a productive use of time. Is everything on your hard drive 100% legal? No incriminating emails, images, software? The qualification of what is "illegal" and what is not, is much broader than it used to be. Its not worth the risk.

Our present government currently considers "Warchalking" to be a threat to national security so its best to play on the safe side for now, until the rest of this mess gets sorted out.
"Declaring things that clearly aren't terrorism as terrorism is terrorism!"
-Me, 2001
Old 07-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
dananos
dananos began at the beginning.

Device: sanyo
And how is "Access to" actually defined, for instance, if I type www.google.com into my browser, that's giving me "Access to" a file located in one of Google's web servers?, doesn't mean I have been given contractual consent to access a google server.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by dananos View Post
doesn't mean I have been given contractual consent to access a google server.
No, it means Google has granted you access to that resource. It matters when it comes to HOW you gained access to that resource. If you were using your own authorized network connection, or your neighbor's unsecured wireless, or a hotspot in a cafe for which you are not a paying customer, etc.

The situations are not cut and dry, and (IMHO), the penalties should not be either.

But our world is changing fast, so check back in 6 months, and this may all be completely different.