Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
astarus
astarus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3.1 update and Syncing non-Amazon books

Does anyone know is the new 3.1 update breaks syncing of non-amazon books over whispersync? I'm using mobi2mobi to edit the ASIN and record type 501. I know the recent iOS Kindle app update broke this type of syncing for side-loaded books and hope the same isn't true for the actual kindle.

Thanks!
astarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Daermond
Daermond has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Daermond has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Daermond has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Daermond has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I was worked for me. I can sync it with my Kindle for PC.
Daermond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astarus View Post
I know the recent iOS Kindle app update broke this type of syncing for side-loaded books and hope the same isn't true for the actual kindle.
AFAIK, the iOS update didn't really break it; you do now ensure that sideloaded books go into into the proper folder (i.e., not where iTunes puts 'em) so they are not treated as (non-synced) personal documents.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just want to clarify what side-loaded means. When I load a book on my kindle with Calibre, is that side-loading?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
astarus
astarus began at the beginning.

I'm referring to side-loading as adding a book to the kindle app for iOS through iTunes. With the newest kindle app update, non amazon books added this way will not sync via whispersync. To get these books to sync using whispersync you have to have a jailbroken device and copy the book to a "hidden" folder.

On my Kindle 3, I just copy books into the documents folder via USB instead of using calibre. Is there an added advantage to using calibre vs USB transfer?
astarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
You can do it wirelessly through calibre.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Sydney's Mum,

How does wireless transfer work? Is it using whispernet email delivery?
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
sarvold
sarvold began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am a brand new kindle user. What is the entire process to download a borders.com ebook to my Kindle?
sarvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
nevermind
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvold View Post
I am a brand new kindle user. What is the entire process to download a borders.com ebook to my Kindle?
The Kindle doesn’t read books from Borders. They use different formats, have copy-protection, and would have to have the copy-protection removed in order to be converted by a program such as Calibre.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
sarvold
sarvold began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you for the reply, I have so much to learn.
sarvold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.1, kindle, sync