Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #61
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I have to say the Glo looks pretty good in your pics. Better than what we're seeing with the PW and better than pics I have seen of the Nook too. I've been wanting to see photos of the Kobo glo, so thanks Jez terr.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #62
Jez_terr
Jez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

EDIT: Does the Glo have a capacitive touch screen, or is it infrared?
It's an infrared screen - no problems with page turns and cold hands. I have had accidental page turns by catching the edge of the screen with the duvet though
Jez_terr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #63
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez_terr View Post
It's an infrared screen - no problems with page turns and cold hands. I have had accidental page turns by catching the edge of the screen with the duvet though
My Touch is infrared too and small debris can cause unintentional page turns.

I'm thinking the lack of that capacitive touch layer which the Paperwhite has might help explain the better screen on the Kobo.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #64
jswinden
Nameless Being

I was just exploring (okay trolling) the B&N site and saw this photo:

You think she has the light turned up a bit there? Damn if that thing does shine that brightly it would definitely be a distraction to nearby loungers!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #65
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:

You think she has the light turned up a bit there? Damn if that thing does shine that brightly it would definitely be a distraction to nearby loungers!
Nay! Nay! It's her glow of happiness!
Reflecting off the screen!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #66
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The Kobo Glo screen looks a lot better than 95% of the Paperwhite photos I've seen. I noticed it does have a very slight blue hue, but not bad and definitely none of the dark shadowy blobs found on the Paperwhites.

EDIT: Does the Glo have a capacitive touch screen, or is it infrared?
It's hard to tell from the picture, but the kobo, like the nook, looks too glowy to me. By that I mean it looks too obviously like light under piece of glass, even though obviously that is what the kindle is too.

I think amazon has the best implementation so far. It's just the color blobs that ruin it. (hype doesn't help)

I think what amazon did was bury the light farther back in the bevel, so under "perfect" conditions, you can be tricked into not seeing the light under glass effect. The penalty is seeing those cone shadows at bottom. The color blobs, I don't know what causes that and whether it's inherent in the design or a manufacturing flaw that can be overcome in this year's model.

If I had the skills , I would try to rig up another row of 4 top LEDs, move them closer to the edge to reduce the cones, reduce the light output by about half b/c you have 8 now, and coat the LEDs with something to make the light warmer. That'd be interesting.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #67
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #68
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
My 2 cents...

While I admitted that the light it is not even at the bottom (even mentioned it at my Amazon's review) I am quite happy with my Kindle.

I do not know if mine is a good unit or maybe I am not too picky like others, but my Kindle PW fills a niche very well: ability to read in very dark rooms without external light and using a eink screen.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #69
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Oh dear, I have Kobo Glo envy now, especially since I just sent my Paperwhite back. If Best Buy doesn't get them this month I may pay one of my Canadian co-workers to bring one with him to our department meeting in November.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #70
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Scrapking, can you post pictures of the Kobo Glow? Is the screen an even color hue when the light is on? (jealous!)

I'm not much of a photographer. I think the screen lighting looks even more even in person. And there's no pink or other colour blotching. But the Glo seems to have very consistent results, the number of people complaining about it in the Kobo forums appears to be tiny compared to the people who seem to be happy with it.

I think the person who speculated that Amazon was trying to separate the light to make it more white might indeed be the culprit of the weird discolouration.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #71
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
My Touch is infrared too and small debris can cause unintentional page turns.
Had my first unintentional (and not immediately obvious as to why) page turn on the PW today. I was returning from lunch with a cup of iced tea in my hand and my fingertips were a touch damp [not wet]. The page turned back and forth a few times by itself before settling on the wrong page.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #72
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
I've been on Mobileread for a year now, but I'm new to posting photos. Can someone tell me what I could have done better there?
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #73
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
I've been on Mobileread for a year now, but I'm new to posting photos. Can someone tell me what I could have done better there?
Maybe scale it down to 600px wide, or you can attach it via the Addition options Manage Attachments button.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #74
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
The black bar at the bottom, where it says "Your Wishlist is Empty" obscures any potential shadowing like we're seeing on the PW. Any chance you could post another with just a page of text?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #75
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I'd be happy with either of those units -- I don't see color blotching.
Same. I am OK with the lights and dark places on the bottom of the screen. But the blotches (and in my case lines) are not OK.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote