Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Android and Kobo Wifi Sync

Ok up until now when using my Kobo I havent worried about syncing (unless I bought something) and with the Kobo app on my Android, but the other day I bought an ebook on my Android phone, read a little and thought I would sync my library with my wifi and continue reading. Quite successfully has the syncing worked for the Kindle app, so the Kobo should be the same?

Now my Kobo library isn't huge, 56 ebooks on my account. For whatever reason the Kobo loved to download all my ebooks and put them all in My Reading list, so I just "closed" them on my Kobo back months ago and used it as per normal.

When I synced yesterday to get my new ebook and current reading page my entire library downloaded again and stood looking at me in my Reading List.

What I think is happening is the Kobo Wifi is treating each ebook in my Kobo library a new, thus putting it in the Reading List. What options do I have so each time I sync the Kobo Wifi it wont update every one of my 56 ebooks in the library and re-add them to the Reading List (even after I have closed them).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
What do you mean by 'closing' the books on your Kobo?

Buying a book from Kobo on your phone (or other device) and then syncing to your Kobo reader should work. It sounds like something happened with that 'closing' causing your Kobo account to think those books were newly added to your account, and thus is synced them again. If you leave things as is now and just bring the books you're currently reading to the front of the my reading list (by opening them), syncs should't change anything anymore.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the Kobo Wifi to remove a book from your Currently Reading you had to "close" it.

Anyway each time I go to Update Library, my entire library is re-downloaded, rather than just updated with new bookmarks and ebooks. I sit here and watch it for damn near 10 min "Syncing your Library...." listing each and every ebook on my Kobo account.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is the date and time (and time zone) correct on the WiFi?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Is the date and time (and time zone) correct on the WiFi?
It is correct on the Wifi. In the off chance there was a daylight savings issue I put the time back an hour, and also tested making the date one day earlier (I found a post about making sure the device's time isn't ahead of the Kobo servers) to no avail.
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard

So I installed the latest desktop version and synced the ereader with it, downloaded the entire library no dramas. Reboot both PC and Kobo Wifi and connect, the Desktop does a quick sync and all good (doesn't re-download my entire library). So I do it again and same result.

Go to the Kobo Wifi on its own and select "Update Library" and the whole damn library re-downloads again. Argh!!!

Edit: I just did a factory reset and reinstalled the Desktop app. Kobo Wifi still re-downloads the entire library when syncing. Well there goes the option of using the sync functionality

Last edited by Solicitous; 08-13-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard

Well true to Kobo's form, a post on get satisfaction had a rep tell me to lodge a help desk request. Looks like this problem is going to remain unsolved
Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well true to Kobo's form, a post on get satisfaction had a rep tell me to lodge a help desk request. Looks like this problem is going to remain unsolved
Not necessarily. Some of the people at the help desk are actually really really attentive and good and know what they're talking about. If you're lucky to have one of those answer your request, it'll get sorted.

Of course, the chance that someone that only half reads your request and gives you an answer about something completely different is much larger... but still. Good luck
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I have had the same problems after buying books using my Kobo Vox when I go to sync the touch to continue reading I find that I have lost books and have had to go to my online library to download again. I have resigned myself to manually updating my library every now and again.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
There's a reason that I gave up using my PlayBook as an ereader. This is it.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard

Given that support acknowledged the problem and stated they are working on it, and that the problem has been present for who knows how many months, I have requested an RMA for the device so I can return it to the store.

Unfortunately it is not working as advertised and Kobo acknowledge the problem. I highly doubt it will ever get fixed, especially since it is an older device (mine still in warranty) and the new line-up now coming out.

Sad but does one risk buying a new Kobo and potentially suffer future issues?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am having a different problem with the Android App and sync. It started with the build on August 28 and continues with the Aug 30th build. Every time I get a download, for example, when I buy a new book, or when recommended reads load, my open kepub books are set back to unread.

I can adjust it by setting a bookmark on my Touch or on read.kobobooks.com and syncing. It's such an aggravation that I am reading on my Nexus 7 using the html 5 app on the chrome browser instead.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I am having a different problem with the Android App and sync. It started with the build on August 28 and continues with the Aug 30th build. Every time I get a download, for example, when I buy a new book, or when recommended reads load, my open kepub books are set back to unread.

I can adjust it by setting a bookmark on my Touch or on read.kobobooks.com and syncing. It's such an aggravation that I am reading on my Nexus 7 using the html 5 app on the chrome browser instead.
Sounds similar to my issue here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189351

losing bookmarks in the android app and reverting to page one is a known issue, kobo have confirmed, but cannot say when it will be fixed
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I was pleased to find that the chrome browser on both my phone and my tablet works with read.kobobooks.com, because it is a workaround that lets sync work across all of my devices. I have uninstalled the Android App until this is fixed. I read ePUBs on Aldiko and kepubs in my browser.

My husband reads on a Kobo WiFI. He reads all of his books in ePUB format. We made that choice because he only reads at home and i did not want kepub bookmarks changing on me . I am beginning to think that he is smarter than I am.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I forgot all about reading in a browser, going to give that a try on my Nexus 7

Do you know if it supports reading life? (I like the stats of books read), off to check kobo site for more info on this

I have currently been reading kepubs on my Vox and everything else on the Nexus, would love to get back to just picking up whichever is closest to hand and continuing any book on it
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote