Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
daxmon87
daxmon87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Cover Art pixels

Hey all!

I just wanted to know if anyone knew what dimensions cover art should be to fill in the whole screen Kindle 3 screen. (So as to avoid white space on the edges of the cover art).

Thanks in advance!
daxmon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
600w x 800h
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
600w x 800h
That's the display size. However when looking at the cover inside a book you're going to have the Location bar at the bottom. And the title bar, if you've just opened the book. Not all of it will be usable for the cover image display.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
That's the display size. However when looking at the cover inside a book you're going to have the Location bar at the bottom. And the title bar, if you've just opened the book. Not all of it will be usable for the cover image display.
On my K3 the cover art displays on the entire screen and is thus taking up the entire 600 x 800 pixels. Which is a 3:4 ratio.

The DX has 824 x 1200 pixels, so if you want the cover art to be big enough for a DX without stretching, you need to consider that as well. This is appx. a 2.75:4 ratio. I'm not sure why they used a different ration than the K1, K2, and K3.

To be safe you could use a 900 x 1200 pixel cover art. It would rescale perfectly to a 3:4 ratio for the K1, K2, and K3. It would be resized a bit for the DX, but still look okay I think.

If you use a the Amazon DTP to create your Kindle book, good luck. The DTP does weird things with image sizes. (I'm talking about embedded images and not the cover art.) I used to know the size limitations but have long since forgotten. Below a certain size images are automatically doubled in size making them look crappy on the Kindle screen. Above a certain size DTP leaves them alone. It is some weird non-intuitive size, so Google for it or just experiment.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-09-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
daxmon87
daxmon87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Alright, thanks for everyone's replies!
daxmon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
On my K3 the cover art displays on the entire screen and is thus taking up the entire 600 x 800 pixels.
I had no idea, I just assumed that since the cover shows up within the regular 'reading' interface, it'd still show the location bar. Cool.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Yep, it's 600w x 800h...
Thank you!
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote