Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo Rocks (reclaimed)

I actually enjoyed the original Kobo Rocks thread more when it was about why people were enjoying their devices. That thread has taken a turn and is now about font esoterica. I am staking a claim on a new Kobo Rocks thread and hope that it will be used to talk about the things we are enjoying on our Kobo eink devices.

I have owned all of the Kobo readers, and each time I get a new one, I do a happy dance. As a new Aura owner, I really like the hi-def screen. I like being able to have the book shelf I am currently concentrating on directly on my home page, and how the home page changes based on my usage.

I thought that the smooth plastic cover would bother me more than it does. It took a few days to get used to the change, but I don't find it at all slippery. I joke with a friend about buying those sticker things meant for the bottom of bathtubs, but I'm really fine with the plastic case.

Now when I pick up my Glo it just feels too small. Odd how that happens.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Could you do me a favor ? Could you switch your Aura on, and then hold a mini magnet (kitchen fridge magnet works perfectly well) at different spots around the bezel, and tell me where more or less you need to hold the magnet for the Aura to switch off ? This would help me and anyone trying to build their own sleepcover greatly. Thanks !
My Aura will take some more days to arrive, I want to be creative in the mean time
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
JSWolf (that name actually showed up in the keyboard predictions lol) is banned from posting in this thread! I'm loving my Aura too. I was concerned about the oft discussed hardware and firmware complaints especially because I live in Japan so I would have to return it on my own dime but everything is perfect! I'm confident that as of now I own the best ereader out there. Go Kobo!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ok if this is a thread to gush about Kobo ereaders, I'm in!

I've only had my Kobo Mini since Monday and I LOVE it. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but right now it's my favorite reader!

This morning I saw that Powell's was having a sale, Kobo glo + free sleep cover, so I ordered one! My will power evaporated instantly! So much for my plan to wait. Now here's hoping I can smuggle into the house unnoticed, as I did with the Mini
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
This morning I saw that Powell's was having a sale, Kobo glo + free sleep cover, so I ordered one! My will power evaporated instantly! So much for my plan to wait. Now here's hoping I can smuggle into the house unnoticed, as I did with the Mini
Beware! It's easier with the Mini

Every day, I'm asking the Mini if it wants its friend to be a Glo or an Aura. So far, no definite answer
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I was also having a lot of waffling between Glo and Aura. The sale made me make up my mind. Plus I have grave doubts whether I would like the back of the Aura. I had a Jetbook Lite and I hated the battery bump. Aesthetics, but still, I didn't like it. I don't know that I'll like the Kobo cover but I am looking forward to the quilted backing. And the SD card slot. And the light. And the ease of adding a font. ETC!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Could you do me a favor ? Could you switch your Aura on, and then hold a mini magnet (kitchen fridge magnet works perfectly well) at different spots around the bezel, and tell me where more or less you need to hold the magnet for the Aura to switch off ? This would help me and anyone trying to build their own sleepcover greatly.
The exact spot is the lower-right corner of the screen (not the bezel).
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
The exact spot is the lower-right corner of the screen (not the bezel).
Can't wait for my Aura to arrive...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I'm really enjoying my Aura. It just makes me want to read. Go figure.

Since last Dec. I've had a total of four Kobo devices. I did sell off my Mini & Glo (both great) when I just knew I was going to upgrade to the Aura. Between that and the Arc, I have all my reading needs covered.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The colour of my Glo screen is perfect. It is a warm white, and I'm going to speculate that Kobo was doing some testing of the warmer lighting on the latest generation of Glos before the Aura was released. The first Glo screen I had before an exchange for a different issue was bluer. I am so happy with my Glo that I don't see a need to upgrade. I love how configurable the font, justification and spacing is.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Beware! It's easier with the Mini

Every day, I'm asking the Mini if it wants its friend to be a Glo or an Aura. So far, no definite answer
If I were in your position, I'd definitely get the Aura, without even thinking about it - well, obviously if money is no object! But perhaps you can just savour the moment when you'll enter a FNAC and handle both Glo and Aura and choose at that point
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kobo Rocks (reclaimed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Ok if this is a thread to gush about Kobo ereaders, I'm in!

I've only had my Kobo Mini since Monday and I LOVE it. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but right now it's my favorite reader!
booklover6, do you like the Kobo Mini better than the Paperwhite? If so, what is it that you like because I've always thought it to be similar to the Paperwhite.

OP, I envy you and the many Aura HD owners, you guys are lucky
The screen looks gorgeous and I really want to get one but unfortunately I'm unable to since I won't be able to use it where I live. Anyway, enjoy your new device!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I had a look at the new Kobo SleepCover for the Aura, and I think Kobo have learnt from previous experience and their competitors:

The cover now has a "slim-fit" back, like those offered by Gecko for the Glo etc.
The magnetic closure is built into the front cover and is not on a separate clasp. This is much neater and reminds me of Sony covers.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I actually enjoyed the original Kobo Rocks thread more when it was about why people were enjoying their devices. That thread has taken a turn and is now about font esoterica. I am staking a claim on a new Kobo Rocks thread and hope that it will be used to talk about the things we are enjoying on our Kobo eink devices.

I have owned all of the Kobo readers, and each time I get a new one, I do a happy dance. As a new Aura owner, I really like the hi-def screen. I like being able to have the book shelf I am currently concentrating on directly on my home page, and how the home page changes based on my usage.

I thought that the smooth plastic cover would bother me more than it does. It took a few days to get used to the change, but I don't find it at all slippery. I joke with a friend about buying those sticker things meant for the bottom of bathtubs, but I'm really fine with the plastic case.

Now when I pick up my Glo it just feels too small. Odd how that happens.
for reclaiming this thread!!

The Aura is my first Kobo reader; prior to it I had the Kindle Keyboard (my fave Kindle), Kindle Touch & Kindle Paperwhite. I think the Kindle software is more mature than Kobo's; hardware maturity seems about equal; but for me 2 the discriminators that gives the edge to Aura over Paperwhite are the front light implementation & the user interface. The front light on the Aura is how i would assume Amazon intended/expected their Paperwhite light to be implemented. Kobo hit a grand slam with their implementation! And the fact that i can actually completely turn off the Aura light is a huge bonus as well! Additionally, Kobo gives me many more options to view info about what I'm reading than Amazon does, and it's visually presented in a much more pleasing way (to my eyes anyway!).

One thing I have noticed recently - that I absolutely love! - is that when you modify font type, size, line spacing, margins, etc..the Aura will update the number of pages remaining (chapter or book) accordingly! Not so with the Kindle.

Now for the reality check - if Kobo wants to go up against Amazon & be a relevant competitor they have got to get a handle on their very antiquated online ordering & tracking system (at least for those of us in the U.S.), as well as their customer service. Both of these factors are enough to turn buyers off, and rightfully so!

Last edited by 93terp; 05-02-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Correction
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Yes, Kobo rocks. Their devices may not be to everyone's taste, but for those willing to take the risk, they kept the back doors open. They've had their share of bugs but they've also been quick with fixes and feature upgrades.

Arc, with full support for GooglePlay and almost-plain-vanilla Android is one of the best 7" tablets around if you're willing to do without a few luxuries (ie. mic input and Bluetooth). They also released their JellyBean upgrade before almost anybody else.

My Touch stays at home these days but Glo and Arc are constantly with me. Glo for epubs and Arc for pdfs, casual browsing and Skype. And now that Aura is out, I'm trying desperately to keep my promiscuity under control but I know I'm weak.

Last edited by kumaryu; 05-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote