Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Question Reading on the G1/Android phone?

Has anyone tried this? I know that FBReader has been ported to Android, and there are browser based book reader sites, but not having a G1 (or the upcoming "G2" HTC Magic) myself, I'm curious as to whether any one found the experience pleasant.

Obviously it's not going to be as easy on the eyes as a paperback or e-ink device, but that's not the point

So, anybody? Or is it all about the iPhone? ;-)
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am so excited about the rumor of the HTC Magic coming to Europe in April. I am so getting one. I was about to get an ipod touch for reading and media, but now I don't know what to do. I surely hope that there will be alot of good readers ported to Android soon. I am not to sure about the hardware side though since I haven't seen any of the android phones irl. They might be on the small side for reading. I feel that the ipod touch might be as small a screen as can be acceptable and the HTC G1 and Magic seem to have a somewhat smaler screen in width.
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Here is a review of the FBReaderJ for android:

http://www.androidandme.com/2009/04/...r-for-android/
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
mr_ed
Connoisseur
mr_ed began at the beginning.

Device: been e-reading since Handspring's first PDA
Done it; enjoyed it; will do it again!

Also, the G1 is a very definite "googlephone" and makes it easy to read ebooks on the google books site. G1s (and maybe iPhones) get automagically redirected to the mobile site, which seems to show only free books.

I started reading ebooks on the small screeen 9 years ago, when the Handspring Visor came out, and believe me - backlighting makes more of a difference than screen size.

The iPod Touch screen is sliiightly larger. Not enough for me to tell the difference when I'm reading. It's a good 'un too.

-- Ed
mr_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
QBColleen
QBColleen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I use the Adlika app on my G1...nothing hard about reading at all. And you can switch from white bckgrnd to black if in no light area.
QBColleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
KathyG
KathyG began at the beginning.

Quote:
Has anyone tried this? I know that FBReader has been ported to Android, and there are browser based book reader sites, but not having a G1 (or the upcoming "G2" HTC Magic) myself, I'm curious as to whether any one found the experience pleasant
At first I found it a little small but I quickly became adjusted and quite enjoy it now. I do use the white background--easier reading, for me at least.

Last edited by KathyG; 08-22-2009 at 10:42 AM.
KathyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
SeanO
SeanO began at the beginning.

So instead of getting an ebook I can simply make a choice to get either an Iphone or Google G1 phone and use that as an ebook? Didn't know that's possible. Is this a special application I need then?
SeanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanO View Post
Is this a special application I need then?
There are ebook aps for many phones. The traditional favorites are MobiPocket and eReader. However, ebooks have got more complicated recently. Amazon owns MobiPocket and seems to be killing it off in favor of the Kindle brand. Barnes and Noble owns FictionWise (which owned eReader), and is upgrading eReader but the B&N branded Reader only supports BlackBerry and iPhone (not the older phones). I expect B&N to release Android and (perhaps) Palm Pre reading apps, but they have not done so yet. Amazon Kindle supports the iPhone.

For Android there are a couple of good ePub readers, FBReaderJ and Aldiko. Both are for DRM-free (non-encrypted) ebooks. Many ebooks you buy at ebook stores have DRM. However, Adobe ePub, MOBI, and eReader DRM can all be circumvented. In the US, circumvention for personal use only is probably legal (never been tested in court though). Finally, for iPhone Stanza is popular and can read DRM-free ePubs but also DRMed eReader ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, fbreader, fbreaderj, htc g1, phone