Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
ckole
Edge User

Library with external storage

It would be nice to have some of the features of having an item in your library without have to copy the file to internal storage. The main feature I want is to view a TOC on the LCD side. Only way to do this is add the file to the library.

It would be nice for enTourage to post what they are working on. That doesn't mean it will be in the next release but at least people can see what is coming.

Others already mentioned:
Landscape mode on e-ink
Better Power Management
Font Choices

Old 04-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
ckole
Edge User

One of the reasons I want Library features on external storage is for security purposes. When my eDGe had its library issue it wasn't deleting sensitive files from the Library folder. If they were on an SD Card it wouldn't have been an issue. If I want my wife to use the eDGe or loan it to a friend it would be nice to throw in your own SD Card and keep everything unique to each user. I would think schools might like this as well. I know the iPad has an issue with this. It doesn't support multiple users with unique settings.

Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
Chas
Edge User

I'd also like this feature. I have too many files to fit into the internal storage so I just leave everything on the SD card.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
ckole
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas View Post
I'd also like this feature. I have too many files to fit into the internal storage so I just leave everything on the SD card.
Obviously as needed we can add individual files to the library and remove them when finished but that isn't very convenient.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
rakista
Edge User

I have already run out of space on my internal storage for my library after less than a week of use, this is ridiculous. If 3 gigs is all I get for the library with access things like Table of Contents than this is a toy and not something I can use daily.

As a grad student I often have up to 100 PDF files I need to keep track of during a week or two period. At this point I am having to yank PDF files off the internal storage that I know I will need in the coming days and it is starting to **** me off. I never had this problem with my Sony Ebook reader with a 32 gig SD card and an 8 gig Memory stick.

Also the Library needs the ability to search by Title, Author, Etc. This is crucial as I imagine I will be getting a 64 gig card with perhaps 1000 PDF files on it eventually. I'm not scrolling through that.

Last edited by rakista; 04-17-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I totally agree, the library functions should extend to the SD card, along with the ability for apps to access the SD card. In an android phone, the SD card holds all the pictures, books etc that the apps use, in the Edge they store it on the internal memory. The way the Edge is set up the SD card seems to be only useful for storage instead of being integrated with the device. Hopefully this will be addressed in future updates as the Edge team learns what we need.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
ckole
Edge User

This also why I like folders. Yeah I am old school and I understand what tags do and I use them. Sometimes though you just want to see a simple list of your folders and pick accordingly. I am putting a bunch of work related stuff on the eDGe. We have tons of FIL's (For Your Information) Letters, flight manuals, and all kinds of other misc crap that I don't need on a daily basis but would be nice to have. Currently I have this stuff on my laptop and most of it would be fine on a tablet since they are 2-10 pages long and I don't need to do anything else but give them a quick read. It's been a long time since I was in school and it is interesting to hear how you "guys" use technology. Back in 1988 I bought a IBM XT Clone with a 10 MB hard drive and two floppy drives and I was in heaven. 10 Megabytes! I will next need more than that. Ha!

It is great that there are other people who have used other devices. I have a Nook and make comparisons a lot. This give enTourage a very educated user base to make this device better.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
VenturingSoul
Edge User

I absolutely agree with this. As a Windows system/security administrator, I cannot fathom handing my eDGe over for someone else to use, even just to check their email, if my Library is exposed. Very bad engineering, and should be addressed immediately.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Yes, I am aware (and was prior to purchase) that Android was not a multi-user system. However, it does not need to be IF the library function can be extended to the sd card.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #10
Chas
Edge User

It should be doable. I was poking around the file system and noticed the library database does contain full paths for files.