Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #31
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
You can buy a stylus that works fine on iphone, however it has a large tip as its designed for the iPhone but the technology for a stylus to work with the capacative touch screens exists and I would be AMAZED if the 'iSlate' doesnt have a stylus.
We'll see. And if it does, will it be easy to write with since the screen will likely be mainly designed for finger touch?

I write pretty small and have terrible penmanship, so I need a tablet that has a high level of precision in writing with a stylus, and I'm skeptical Apple's tablet would be designed around a stylus to provide that. I need one that emulates writing on paper as closely as possible--something I've not found on any tablet devices I've tried--though I've not played with slate PCs over the past couple of years, so maybe they've improved.

I'd love to be proved wrong though, as I would prefer an apple based tablet to a windows one due to less risk of viruses and malware etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I'd be dumbfounded if it did.
Well ok if it doesnt go and buy one from here they are about £7???

Video review here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvnfXXulOIY

buy it here http://www.cdwow.com/home/4Mac-Essen...dp/pc/10930499
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #33
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
We'll see. And if it does, will it be easy to write with since the screen will likely be mainly designed for finger touch?

I write pretty small and have terrible penmanship, so I need a tablet that has a high level of precision in writing with a stylus, and I'm skeptical Apple's tablet would be designed around a stylus to provide that. I need one that emulates writing on paper as closely as possible--something I've not found on any tablet devices I've tried--though I've not played with slate PCs over the past couple of years, so maybe they've improved.

I'd love to be proved wrong though, as I would prefer an apple based tablet to a windows one due to less risk of viruses and malware etc.
Havent used a stylus with my iphone but Capacative is in theory MUCH more accurate than resistive so assuming apple want it and do release a tablet I imagine it will be better than anything else for this.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #34
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
  1. Too expensive
  2. No keyboard
  3. Battery life (if my iPhone is any indication)
  4. Display (if they intend for this to be an e-reader, it better be pleasing to the eye for long periods of time)
  5. Not different enough from what I already own.
  6. Portability vs. durability
Yes I agree there are issues with exactly where it sites in terms of product lineups. The way I see it, it's a multi-purpose household tiny computer.

My iPhone simply isn't big enough for some purposes. Yes a small laptop could do most of what the tablet could do, but it can't use iphone apps and for me, a physical keyboard isn't essential. A little tablet which acts as a nicely sized ebook reader and also does a LOT of other stuff would fit the mould.

I need a small device around the house still (iPhone and MBP are my smallest). Here's some of the things I would use a tablet for:

- Ebook, Videos, Music (obviously)
- Quick Internet while sitting on the couch or at the breakfast table without getting the thigh heating laptop out.
- Reading recipes while cooking (color screen, decent size).
- Email/Work when I am in the car stuck in traffic or mobile.
- Music player and media centre controller. Using the remote app I would control my hifi/itunes throughout the house with it. It would also be able to stream media wirelessly as well so I could send media from it to my 40" LCD via my PS 3 or Apple TV.
- Showing family photos to people. I'd have all of my photo albums digitised and sitting on my local network, say goodbye to getting out dusty old photo albums.
- Quick Video chat and skype without pulling the laptop out of the bedroom. I can pick up a tablet with one hand and use a touch screen with one hand pretty quickly with a beer in the other.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #35
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I received the following tweet today from TV's Andy Levy.
Quote:
The Apple Tablet is the Barack Obama of technology. It's whatever you want it to be, until you actually get it.
Well, they said similar things about the long-rumored Apple cellphone and then the iPhone was released and even topped all expectations and changed the way we use cellphones. In my opinion, the iTablet will either be revolutionary ingenious or it won't be released at all.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #36
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems inevitable to be released with Apple reserving a room for an event at the end of the month and all the other pieces of the puzzle lately with domain name registrations, asking App developers to get large screen apps ready etc.

So the only question is whether it will be revolutionary compared to the iPhone.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #37
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
It seems inevitable to be released with Apple reserving a room for an event at the end of the month and all the other pieces of the puzzle lately with domain name registrations, asking App developers to get large screen apps ready etc.

So the only question is whether it will be revolutionary compared to the iPhone.
I imagine the hardware will be pretty standard with an evolutionary operating system including truly revolutionary way of operating it.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nobody needs a tablet from Apple should they make one. In fact, it'll be overpriced, overcontrolled, and generally, not all that wonderful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #39
dmaul1114
Wizard

I'm interested to see what it can do for sure. I'm skeptical as I've never been and Apple guy (never owned any of their products). But the iPhone did impress me, having played with friends and relative's iPhones a decent amount.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #40
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nobody needs a tablet from Apple should they make one. In fact, it'll be overpriced, overcontrolled, and generally, not all that wonderful.
Time will tell.

Probably definitely overpriced.

I don't care about overcontrolled. I'm not a tech head, or a hacker. I buy gadgets and use them how intended. I don't mind DRM or that kind of stuff at all. So that's never dissuaded me from Apple (mainly price, and being wed to PCs for work), and I love my Kindle etc.

It's an issue for people who want to use all kinds of different file formats, be able to put any software on it etc. But it doesn't effect me. If a device doesn't work the way I want it to, and do everything I need it to, out of the box I don't buy it. I have no interest in hacking, doing much customizing etc. I like stuff that just works how I need it from the get go.

The wonderful part is up in the air--not just with Apple, but with tablet devices in general. I've very intrigued and interested. But it's one of those things you can't be sure on without actually using them. Totally random example--I though I'd dig the motion controls on the Nintendo Wii--but hated it once I got it and sold the console within a few months.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #41
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
I've seen the hype, read the speculation, and I keep asking myself..... who needs this?
Well, I would be interested! And for sure, there is a market out there for Apple products! And, yes, they are overpriced, especially when launched, but this is not a new strategy. As a matter of fact, Apple is known for using the skimming pricing strategy, whenever they come up with a new product.

I will definitively not be one of the first buyers, but the idea is interesting enough for me. After all, if this new product will be able to display PDF files properly, I think this is a major step forward! Although Sony claims that their reader can display PDF files, I am not very pleased with the results. Most of my files are in Letter format and they look like hell on the reader.
Plus, the iSlate (or, whatever they call it) will have colour display, so, that's another plus.

About the hype, that's another marketing strategy: create hype (or, 'buzz') and people will get excited. Plus, even talking about the product here - which is called 'viral marketing' - is another marketing strategy, meant to promote the product!

One thing is for sure: without Apple, we would probably still be looking at a black screen, keying in DOS 12.0 commands.

I am looking forward to see what will Jan 26 bring us!
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #42
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I see this all the time but what exactly are apple controlling that hobbles their devices for 99.9% of people?

I have both Pc's and Macs and an iphone and especially on the iPhone I can open pretty much any file and do much more than pretty much ANY other phone out there?

an example or two would be good.
OK, stand over there and I'll Bluetooth this Excel spreadsheet to your iPhone from my Samsung. Just open it up and ... What? FTP, why? Oh, OK, here, just load my microSD ... What? Oh, OK. ... I'll get back to you, someday.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #43
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Some problems I see (based on speculation about the product):
  1. Too expensive
  2. No keyboard
  3. Battery life (if my iPhone is any indication)
  4. Display (if they intend for this to be an e-reader, it better be pleasing to the eye for long periods of time)
  5. Not different enough from what I already own.
  6. Portability vs. durability
I really think it's unfair to complain that a tablet doesn't have a keyboard. That's sort of by definition.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #44
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
OK, stand over there and I'll Bluetooth this Excel spreadsheet to your iPhone from my Samsung. Just open it up and ... What? FTP, why? Oh, OK, here, just load my microSD ... What? Oh, OK. ... I'll get back to you, someday.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
But do that many people really need to do that kind of stuff?

I realize their products aren't probably suited for the tech heads and power users that do that kind of stuff, want to hack and customize the heck out of their devices etc.

But that's not the average user. The average user is more someone like me that buys a device and expects it to do what I need out of the box, and will seldom spend any time customizing anything, wanting to use different file formats etc.

I feel the same about the Kindle hate. Most people are like me and could care less that it doesn't support e-pub, has DRM etc. as we just get books from the Amazon store (and maybe free books from places like Feedbooks) and can find everything we want to read and don't need it to do anything else.

Point being, yes such devices are closed in a sense. But the tech heads go to far in bashing them because they don't fit their needs when they are a tiny fraction of the user base for such devices.

Apple would probably prefer the tech head/hacker crowd stay away from their products. They make them closed and easy to use for the joe six packs who just want simple products that are intuitive to use and just work.

And I'm no apple fanboy. Have never owned an Apple product of any kind. I just think the techies go to far in their hatred of Apple's products. They're simply not for them, they should go use the devices that suit them and shut up about Apple IMO. As it really boils down to them bashing a company to not catering to their specific needs and choosing to get rich focusing on the mainstream market--which is silly.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 01-05-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #45
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Work-arounds and fixes for the above would be welcome.
Hackintosh sounds about right. Or one of these.

JackTingle - No, tablets per the modern definition have a keyboard. Slates are the ones without. Silly, but that's how every other manufacturer uses the words...

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-05-2010 at 09:07 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote