Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #151
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
Actually I wasn't casting aspersions at your good self, just speaking "out loud" in the forum Perhaps my enthusiasm for a return to normal battery life prevented me from expressing myself clearly?
Not at all. I didn't take your comment personally, I was just generally sorry that you now feel less confident.

Quote:
Obviously they are of the same opinion that the issue lies in software (possibly coupled with specific user settings) rather than hardware. Which is hopeful. It would still be nice to know this from their lips as it were so I don't unnecessarily return what would otherwise be considered a perfectly functioning machine.

[... from later in your post:] What would be nice is if Kobo capitalised upon this aspect by being more forthright about what is happening and what steps are being taken. Managing user expectations effectively goes a long way to keeping customers happy in the long run.
Sure, it would be nice to hear it from their own lips. But I do realise that time is precious and when you're fighting to find a culprit it's extra hassle to seek out a certain thread in a certain forum unrelated to your own company to go an explain all the steps you're taking – so I do understand their silence on MR.

Quote:
A sleep mode problem may also cover the original problem I had regarding not slipping from sleep into power-off and chewing through the battery when that happened. Mind you, I can't see how this would explain the disparity in overall battery longevity between the old & new devices. Hmmm.
Indeed. Have you contacted Sameer or exec care directly? If not, maybe it's an idea to do so and give them your findings and theories as well.

Quote:
You personally never "gave my trust a hit".

Quote:
We're fortunate that these devices are flashable and hence software problems are easily resolved.
Yeah
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #152
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm 12 full days in, 26 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and still at 51%...

I know it won't be popular with anyone having the problem, but look at it from Kobo's viewpoint. If they don't yet have a resolution, and may in fact still be searching for the actual problem beyond the symptoms and proximate cause(s) they really can't give you an update that's going to reassure you without stretching a point or outright lying. Start a support ticket with them and give them a chance. It's sort of unlikely they'll come here and post about an unresolved issue. The main things this thread will accomplish is an exchange of ideas between those with the problem, perhaps a place for Kobo to gather a little more user data, somewhere for anyone else with the issue to find out more about what others have tried and hopefully an eventual solution.

You have a warranty, it'll cover the problem whether hardware or software, so you'll just have to take a breath, relax and deal. They'll either find a resolution or make an exchange for a working unit if you press the issue. I'd give it a little bit, my guess is they'll probably figure it out and fix it in the next firmware release at worst.

It's been a while since this thread started, and frankly, I don't remember, but have any of you with the problem tried actually turning the unit off between uses? If it's just an accelerated battery drain while in sleep mode, then at least you'll preserve the ability to use the device with only the minor inconvenience of waiting on the sleep mode fix. It doesn't really take that long to boot the reader.

Hey, just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this with or without the sleepcover, or with the sleepcover shutdown disabled in the firmware? While I have it turned ON, I don't have a sleepcover.

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-07-2013 at 12:19 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #153
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Update: 7 days ago I upgraded my firmware to 2.4.0 then charged my Glo fully, and left it to sleep. This would have been the 3rd power cycle to calibrate the battery... before and during the first two when the FW was 2.3.2 the Glo would reach "please charge" after 3 days of sleeping. This time, however, I have left it sleeping for 7 days, the first "leave it sleeping and wait for the battery to run down" cycle since I installed 2.4.0. I got busy and forgot to check it on the third day. I didn't check it until today, the 7th day. It reads 90% charged still. Seems the new FW made a difference with battery power with mine. I understand that without calibration the battery meter may not be accurate but calibration or not it died in 3 days on sleep mode and now it's gone 7 and shows mostly full... something has improved somewhere.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #154
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
Update: 7 days ago I upgraded my firmware to 2.4.0 then charged my Glo fully, and left it to sleep. This would have been the 3rd power cycle to calibrate the battery... before and during the first two when the FW was 2.3.2 the Glo would reach "please charge" after 3 days of sleeping. This time, however, I have left it sleeping for 7 days, the first "leave it sleeping and wait for the battery to run down" cycle since I installed 2.4.0. I got busy and forgot to check it on the third day. I didn't check it until today, the 7th day. It reads 90% charged still. Seems the new FW made a difference with battery power with mine. I understand that without calibration the battery meter may not be accurate but calibration or not it died in 3 days on sleep mode and now it's gone 7 and shows mostly full... something has improved somewhere.
That's very weird indeed! Did you change anything else apart from the firmware? Did you leave it to sleep from the home screen (so, without it having a book in memory)? If so, I think that might be why the battery didn't drain so fast. I'm suspecting there to be something going on in sleep mode when a book is left open (so putting the device to sleep right from the book without going to the home screen first). I'm going to test that right after my current test with kepubs finishes.

Putting the device to sleep with an epub open so far has got me 3-5 days of battery life. Now, with a kepub open instead of an epub, the results started out the same, very bad:

Code:
4 Mar 2013 10:18	100%	kepub, sleep	
4 Mar 2013 16:46	100%	on, sleep	6h 28m
5 Mar 2013 00:02	82%	on, sleep	7h 16m
5 Mar 2013 10:35	62%	on, sleep	10h 33m
5 Mar 2013 22:35	49%	on, sleep	12h 0m
6 Mar 2013 09:29	48%	on, sleep	10h 54m
6 Mar 2013 11:43	44%	on, sleep	2h 14m
6 Mar 2013 22:32	43%	on, sleep	10h 49m
7 Mar 2013 09:19	43%	on, sleep	10h 47m
7 Mar 2013 16:23	0%	nothing	        7h 4m
But somehow the last two days the battery has decided to hang round 43% without dropping as much as it did. Weird. Still though, estimating 5 days of battery life (instead of the initial 3.3 days), which is better but certainly not what it should be.

Edit: added the last line to results. Apparently the hanging around 43% was all nonsense as it gave up soon after, leaving me with 78 hours (3.3 days) of battery life, sleeping with a kepub in memory.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 03-07-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added results
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #155
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
I have left it sleeping for 7 days, the first "leave it sleeping and wait for the battery to run down" cycle since I installed 2.4.0.
Are you leaving it to sleep just to calibrate the battery meter? You don't have to do that you know. To calibrating the meter you only have to make sure to let the battery run out completely and then charge it to 100% in one go without interruptions. You don't have to stop using the device or wait for it run down on it's own. You can use it any way you like during battery depletion from 100% to 0%.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #156
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm 12 full days in, 26 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and still at 51%...

Quote:
It's been a while since this thread started, and frankly, I don't remember, but have any of you with the problem tried actually turning the unit off between uses? If it's just an accelerated battery drain while in sleep mode, then at least you'll preserve the ability to use the device with only the minor inconvenience of waiting on the sleep mode fix. It doesn't really take that long to boot the reader.
Yes I think VelvetElvis has done that and confirmed that battery does not run down in off-mode. So that would indeed be a workaround until the problem gets fixed. However, I'm still purposely using sleep-mode to see if I can find when the drain does and does not happen. I have yet to find a "does not" situation, but I'm suspecting sleeping from the home screen.

Quote:
Hey, just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this with or without the sleepcover, or with the sleepcover shutdown disabled in the firmware? While I have it turned ON, I don't have a sleepcover.
I do not use a sleepcover, nor does VelvetElvis. I have the Glo set to not listen for a sleepcover. VelvetElvis used to have the function on, but switched it off recently when he found the setting.

In any case, no sleepcover and either listening for one switched on or off, both situations give quick battery drainage in sleep mode.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #157
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
That's very weird indeed! Did you change anything else apart from the firmware? Did you leave it to sleep from the home screen (so, without it having a book in memory)?
No, nothing changed other than the FW, I even put all the settings back to where they were right after putting the new FW on.

During these 3 cycles and when I discovered it died in 3 days before, I have left it sleeping on the carousel screen, not on a page of a book.

Quote:
Are you leaving it to sleep just to calibrate the battery meter? You don't have to do that you know. To calibrating the meter you only have to make sure to let the battery run out completely and then charge it to 100% in one go without interruptions. You don't have to stop using the device or wait for it run down on it's own. You can use it any way you like during battery depletion from 100% to 0%.
I know, but it was the easiest way to produce a controlled environment so I could see if calibration made any improvement on the accuracy of the battery meter. I also wanted to be able to accurately compare cycle length - how long it took each cycle to reach "please charge". I'm a bit OCD when I'm working with something or trying to figure it out. I was the kid with 3 control groups in science class, one for each type of control condition. LOL Anyway, I haven't been feeling well so I wasn't up to reading anyway (which is how I discovered the battery issue in the first place. Before, I just assumed I was running the battery down so fast because I read so much.)
Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #158
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
No, nothing changed other than the FW, I even put all the settings back to where they were right after putting the new FW on.

During these 3 cycles and when I discovered it died in 3 days before, I have left it sleeping on the carousel screen, not on a page of a book.
Hah good, that confirms my suspicions. I wonder, if you'd switch back to sleeping from the book instead of from the home screen / carrousel, if the battery draining will continue in the fast way.

Quote:
I know, but it was the easiest way to produce a controlled environment so I could see if calibration made any improvement on the accuracy of the battery meter. I also wanted to be able to accurately compare cycle length - how long it took each cycle to reach "please charge". I'm a bit OCD when I'm working with something or trying to figure it out. I was the kid with 3 control groups in science class, one for each type of control condition. LOL Anyway, I haven't been feeling well so I wasn't up to reading anyway (which is how I discovered the battery issue in the first place. Before, I just assumed I was running the battery down so fast because I read so much.)
Aaah yes I know what you mean. I'm OCD-ish like that too with certain things. Sorry you haven't been feeling well! Glad to see you're feeling better again (I think) And reading a lot shouldn't run the battery down that fast.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #159
Lily7
Zealot

Quote:
Hah good, that confirms my suspicions. I wonder, if you'd switch back to sleeping from the book instead of from the home screen / carrousel, if the battery draining will continue in the fast way.
I will try it and see what happens. It's at 87% right now. I'll try it after the next full charge too to test it from a full charge.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #160
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Yes I think VelvetElvis has done that and confirmed that battery does not run down in off-mode. So that would indeed be a workaround until the problem gets fixed. However, I'm still purposely using sleep-mode to see if I can find when the drain does and does not happen. I have yet to find a "does not" situation, but I'm suspecting sleeping from the home screen.
That's correct. My GF is currently using the Glo, and turning it off between reading sessions. Battery life when powered off is comparable to the Touch in sleep mode.

Unfortunately, it's a sub-optimal, annoying solution, but it beats charging it every 72 hours.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #161
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm 13 full days in, 27 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and still at 51%...

Interesting how it plateaus, but I've not read a lot the last couple days.

I didn't mean to suggest that having to shut down rather than sleep was a completely acceptable solution, merely a way to get by until a solution could be found. At least the reader can be used with a reasonable battery life expectation.

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-08-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #162
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Okay so, my first 24 hours of sleeping from the homescreen... went from 100% to 75%. Gah. There goes my theory.

(In more detail: the first 12 hours stayed at 100%, and somewhere between this morning and now 12 hours later, the battery dropped to 78%.)
Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #163
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Okay so, my first 24 hours of sleeping from the homescreen... went from 100% to 75%. Gah. There goes my theory.
I take it that's on your new replacement (sorry if you've posted before but I've been a bit busy to play catch-up)?
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #164
TechniSol

I'm 14 full days in, 27 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and still at 51%...

No reading today, just 24 hours further along. Going to make up for that now.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #165
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
I take it that's on your new replacement (sorry if you've posted before but I've been a bit busy to play catch-up)?
Correct. I don't have my original Glo any more.

Replacement even dropped to 68% after sitting on the home screen for 8 minutes. Bah. But, followed by reading for 45 minutes and then 11 or so hours of sleep: it's still hat 68% this morning. Weird.

Quote:
I'm 14 full days in, 27 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and still at 51%...

No reading today, just 24 hours further along. Going to make up for that now.
Nice!