Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #31
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Lack of library resource

Since getting my Kindle, I have always been curious about the device's ability to use library books. Thanks to MobileRead I have been able to rectify that problem. My problem now if finding a decent ebook library that I can check out books. I live in Delaware and this state is so behind in terms of ebooks. They have a very small collection and mostly they are audiobooks. If you live somewhere that has an extensive ebook catalog consider yourself extremely fortunate.

I was able to get a temp ID from D.C. which has a great online catalog. Was able to successfully add a library book using a few tools found here and after 21 days - poof the book was gone which is exactly how I expected it to work. Because I wasn't a D.C. resident the card was only good for 30 days (didn't have the chance to get to D.C.). So my access was removed. I am finding that a lot of states will allow for out of state access to their libraries for a nominal fee.

I went to the Overdrive site and found a library that is closest to my house in Maryland. Called them and they do offer out of state cards for $15/year which in my opinion is worth the $$$. Their catalog isn't great but there is a lot there I have not read and I look forward to using this service.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #32
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I haven't used the e-book option yet because of the various format wars. But I have downloaded audio books from my library system. They use both Overdrive and Ingrams MyiLibrary audio. I've had success downloading titles and even getting them to work on my Sony MP3 player. Heck, that's more than I can say for Audible.com as the one free title I downloaded from them can't play on my Sony.

However, sometimes the searches can be very frustrating, especially in the Ingrams audio catalog. For example, searching by category under the Ingrams audio catalog is a nightmare as there are many categories with no titles, while some general categories (such as Fiction) can have hundreds of titles. (Why can't they group the books under more than one category anyway? It's not as if they're using physical shelf space.) For example, there are something like ten categories simply called "Fiction" and even several called "No category" or something like that. There are also dozens of categories like "Fiction -- Ghosts" and "Fiction -- Cats" and "Fiction -- Coming of Age" and "Fiction -- Goldfish." OK, I'm kidding about the goldfish, but you get the idea. But when I search these categories, I find that they have no books listed. Sigh! If you search by author name or title, you're in better luck. However, I couldn't find anything by Stieg Larsson in a search, but that's because they had him listed as "Steven Larsson."
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #33
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
What I don't understand: How can a digital library have waiting lists for certain titles?
I know it seems like an issue where digital should mean an infinite supply, but it's a copyright issue. The library purchases a license for each title they want. Licenses are like a physical copy in that the license can only transfer to one patron at a time. More licenses equal more copies to lend. Fewer licenses equal wait lists for popular titles.
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #34
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pocketbook 360
In about one hour I managed to get an account to nlb.gov.sg

It's good to be a geek sometimes

Last edited by norciom; 12-09-2009 at 11:23 AM.
norciom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #35
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Another one for UK users - I've not tried it yet, but it looks like Hertfordshire Libraries have started ebook lending (EPUB (Adobe DRM) and Mobi).

http://herts.lib.overdrive.com/

Looks like any UK resident can join, though you may have to visit a Hertfordshire library to get your PIN (it isn't 100% clear).

/JB
I've since tried this, and it works very well. Getting hold of a PIN was as easy as emailing the "Contact Us" address on the website with my library card number.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I haven't used the e-book option yet because of the various format wars.
Overdrive eBooks come in three flavors, PDF, Mobipocket, and ePub. Mobipocket seems to be fading out. And as long as you have a reader that supports ePub with ADE for the DRM, you'll be able to borrow ePub format eBooks providing your library has them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote