Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
icy
icy began at the beginning.

Device: none
footer removal help

Good morning,

i ve got my kindle dx yesterday and now i am trying to convert my old pdf collection to the kindle. ( former i used an old rocket ebook)

Calibre works very well, but i have an problem with the removal of the footers. Some years ago i used an freeware pdf software and this programm put an footer on every page.

I tried to remove this footer with the calibre wirzard, but no success.

If i join the wizard follwing code will be the footer
<br>
convert Software <br>
- 2 – <br>
digital converted by <br>
Band I <br>
<br>
icy <br>
<hr>
<A name=3></a>

Maybe someboby would be so honest to help me ? The regex code it´s all greek to me.

Best reards from Munich
icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
icy
icy began at the beginning.

Device: none
i ve just tried around 100 regex codes, but nothing worked. :-(
Now i will try to cut the footer with adobe acrobat 9. Maybe this will work better

to cut the footer with adobe acrobat off is no real solution, some footer will stay in the file, some pages are broken ( special signs)

Last edited by icy; 07-10-2010 at 11:06 AM.
icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy View Post
i ve just tried around 100 regex codes, but nothing worked. :-(
In the past when I had a footer I would use mobipocket creator to convert the file to html. Most of the time it would remove the footer while converting to html.

Now I just convert the file to epub (my preferred format) and use Sigil to find and replace what I don't want.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
donttrustben
donttrustben began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks dwanthny - hadn't heard of sigil before.
donttrustben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
schlonz
Enthusiast
schlonz began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-300
Hello

i also remove the footer with Sigil, but the only reason ist because (IMHO) the remove wizard in calibre did nothing.

I tried 100 times to use the remove wizard, testet the expession with PDF and EPUB, finding that my footers where found, but after converting they are still there.
fE in PDf preview is use :

<br>\d+<br>

and it finds me all page numbers in the book and marks them yellow.
But sadly does not remove them.

Maybe i did somthing wrong.

If someone knows what's to do please tell me.

CU
schlonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
donttrustben
donttrustben began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlonz View Post
and it finds me all page numbers in the book and marks them yellow.
But sadly does not remove them.
CU
This is my experience too.

We only need to specify the regex bit that defines what to be found, we don't need to specify what to replace it with, right?

..at work so can't test it out sorry.
ben
donttrustben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlonz View Post
i also remove the footer with Sigil, but the only reason ist because (IMHO) the remove wizard in calibre did nothing.
Sometimes, because of how the pdf2html works what you test in the wizard has little to do with the html code the regex is applied to. Yes this is a flaw in removing footers. Kovid stated his solution below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The solution for this is to run the conversion in debug mode and look at the actual HTML in the input subdirectory (for some files, it can differ slightly from the html in the wizard).
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
hmmm, how about saving the PDF as a Word Document (if you have the professional Adobe rather than the Reader) and form there on it's as simple as finding the specific text of the header/footer (a nice CTRL+F and copy pasting the text) and then replacing all with nothing so they'll poof... disappear

[if you only have the reader, i think you have the option to save as TXT, from where you'll have to copy-paste into a Word.]

from there it's easy to save as HTML and do what you want with it (use calibre or mobipocket creator <--- i'm really liking this one, moves lighting fast to convert to .prc--accepted by kindle--and it keeps your formatting specs)

i hope this helps even thought it sounds a bit complicated
you wouldn't happen to have Open Office installed, would you?
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote