Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Solari
Nameless Being

Is there a way to unarchive *all* books on Kindle?

I'd like to mass unarchive my books so I can make a backup copy of them using Calibre. Is there a way to do a mass unarchive at once? I have over 400 books and it's going to be very tedious if I have to click on them one at a time either via web or the Kindle itself.

Thanks!
Ray
Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari View Post
I'd like to mass unarchive my books so I can make a backup copy of them using Calibre. Is there a way to do a mass unarchive at once? I have over 400 books and it's going to be very tedious if I have to click on them one at a time either via web or the Kindle itself.

Thanks!
Ray
No easy way to do this but kind of futile unless you're removing DRM because it's device specific. So if you replace your kindle or get a new one. You would have to do it all over again.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No easy way to do this but kind of futile unless you're removing DRM because it's device specific. So if you replace your kindle or get a new one. You would have to do it all over again.
Not if you're acquainted with Apprentice Alf.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Not if you're acquainted with Apprentice Alf.
Exactly. The one time to do this is if you are liberating your books so in case something happens you have access to them. Otherwise downloading them all really isn't going to help if you change Kindles or your Kindle breaks or you want to read it on an app.

I keep a backup of all my books. Why? CyberReads is no longer, Lit books are no longer and soon Mobi is no longer being sold with DRM on it. I can't even get my Lit books from B.O.B after getting a new hard drive because it tells me my MS LIT account is not valid.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
That's scary. Last I checked I have over 1,000 titles...now mind you a lot of them are free, and I purchased them because they sounded like something I might be interested in, but not a definite read. Time to think about backing the interesting titles up, hm?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
That's scary. Last I checked I have over 1,000 titles...now mind you a lot of them are free, and I purchased them because they sounded like something I might be interested in, but not a definite read. Time to think about backing the interesting titles up, hm?
I'd definitely back up.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I back up all my titles once every three months. The first time I downloaded all of my titles I had over 300 and it was a pain in the butt. It is easier now. It doesn't take that long. I just have them saved to my desktop. Once they are all there I import them into Calibre and let Calibre work it's plugged in magic.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I honestly cannot imagine the pain of having to re-download every book each time I buy a new device. It is bad enough now but think what it might be like say ... 10 years from now when we will all probably have digital libraries of thousands and thousands of books.

I just put them into Calibre as I buy - it takes a couple of seconds for each book. Plus you have to consider that I, and many others, buy eBooks from several stores. It is way easier just to keep them all in one place in my Calibre database than to try and remember what store has my copy of each and every book.

Thank goodness for Calibre and it's plug-in, and the ability to mass select and click "move to device."
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Solari
Nameless Being

I do have the plugin that removes DRM with Calibre and it works well, just wanted an easier way to mass move out of unarchives.
Thanks!

Ray
Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
Solari
Nameless Being

Hmm I just remembered FireFox has this cool tool that lets you execute repetitive movements, clicks, etc. over and over like clicking through an entire Kindle archive to send to device. Will try it and see if it works.

UPDATE - It's called iMacro for Firefox, but it doesn't seem to work well with Amazon's weird AJAX interface, drat...

Last edited by Solari; 11-29-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
Wasp Woman
Wasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Do you back up all of your books in the same format? If so what do you use?
Are you backing them up on your hard drive or on a storage device?
Wasp Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Calibre not only provides secure backup, but with plug-ins it makes converting between formats as easy as dragging from Calibre to device.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I download books to my Kindle device as I need them. To put them in my Calibre library, I use Kindle for PC -- it's the quickest way to download a bunch of books all at once, IMO.

Last edited by whitearrow; 11-30-2011 at 01:13 PM.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari View Post
I'm going to guess that I had that many if not more when I started my backup project several months ago. I did them one by one, from the web, and imported them into Calibre. I also downloaded all of my books from Fictionwise and B&N, so, probably 700 or so books total. It took me about two weeks, with either a cup or coffee or a glass of wine nearby, and I listened to podcasts while I did it. I found the entire process rather cathartic. I think it is well worth the time and effort to do it right.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
So I'm halfway, or somewhere thereabouts, to doing this, but the problem is with all the holiday freebies it seems with every step forward it's about 1.5 steps backwards!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote