Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
LibraryCin
Connoisseur
LibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Touch
Charging Touch through an outlet

I've looked at a few threads on this topic, but I'm not seeing my issue, so I'm starting a new thread.

I took my Kobo on holidays with me for the first time (and luckily, took a couple of paperbacks with me, as well, just in case...). I have a charger that I bought when I bought my Kobo and it says it's supposed to specifically work for a Kobo e-Reader.

When I plugged it in, the light on the charger turned blue, so I thought it was charging. I left it overnight, but apparently nothing happened. I wondered if I had to power on my Kobo while it was charging, so I tried that, too, but my Kobo just powered off after the set amount of time I have it set for. Again, nothing charged.

So, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I kept reading, hoping it would make it till I got home, but that didn't happen. I switched to my paperbacks and thought I'd figure it out here at home.

Now that I'm home, I've already charged it using my computer, but I'd still like to figure out what went wrong, so it doesn't happen again. When it's about half-way, I'll try the charger here at home, but if anyone has any ideas, thoughts, suggestions as to what I need to do to make it work, that would be great.

Thanks so much!
LibraryCin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It could be a bad charger or a bad charger cable. I have never seen a wall charger that Kobo has advertised to work specifically for the Kobo, and I know that Kobo doesn't sell one. What charger did you use and where did you buy it.

I charge the Touch using the charger meant for my cell phone without problems. I have also used the charger for my camera without issues.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Yep - I also use my cell phone charger to charge my Kobo Wif thru the wall outlet. BUT - I need to remove the usb cable for my cell phone from the 'plug' that goes into the wall (it's removable) and then use the usb cable that Kobo supplied. Works like a charm - and was recommended to me by Kobo staff on this forum a while back...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
I bought a charger at Chapters that they have with all the Kobo accessories and have had no problem with it. The light on the charger turns blue when plugged in and charges fine. Maybe just a bad charger. One question its not the one with the car charger also is it. I have heard that that one does not work well for charging with the outlet part of it.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
larryt
Enthusiast
larryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I use the Apple charger that I use for my Apple nano. Works great.
larryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
LibraryCin
Connoisseur
LibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles View Post
I bought a charger at Chapters that they have with all the Kobo accessories and have had no problem with it. The light on the charger turns blue when plugged in and charges fine. Maybe just a bad charger. One question its not the one with the car charger also is it. I have heard that that one does not work well for charging with the outlet part of it.
This is the one I bought, too! Maybe I should return it and try another? I don't think I have the one for a car (I don't have a car, so I doubt I would have picked that one up).

To answer someone else, it looks like the brand is Hitfar. I bought it at Chapters at the same time I bought my Kobo. It was displayed with the other Kobo accessories.

It says on the back of the package:
"Universal Travel Charger
With Connector Tips

KOBO eReader
All Phones with/Mini or Micro USB ports"

I have no other type of charger to use. I don't have a cell phone, my digital camera runs on AA batteries, and my mp3 player on AAA batteries (I still use rechargeables). This is the only electronic item I have that needs to be charged.

Maybe I'll try it one more time here at home before I look for the receipt and see if I can exchange it.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Did you choose one of the options when you plugged it in (Keep Reading or Manage) - I know one time I forgot to choose an option, and it never charged.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
Did you choose one of the options when you plugged it in (Keep Reading or Manage) - I know one time I forgot to choose an option, and it never charged.
Mine charges even if I select neither option.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
LibraryCin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
Good question. Nothing at all came up. There were no options, the Kobo didn't come on, nothing. I didn't know if anything was supposed to happen. The blue light on the charger came on, but that's it. I left it plugged in overnight, hoping it would do something!

At least now I know that something is supposed to happen!
Thank you!

(And I love that I've found this site when I have a question. Everyone is very helpful!)
Old 12-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryCin View Post
Good question. Nothing at all came up. There were no options, the Kobo didn't come on, nothing. I didn't know if anything was supposed to happen. The blue light on the charger came on, but that's it. I left it plugged in overnight, hoping it would do something!

At least now I know that something is supposed to happen!
Thank you!

(And I love that I've found this site when I have a question. Everyone is very helpful!)
If you are just plugging it into a wall charger my Kobo Touch doesn't ask if I want to connect or not. I think the Wifi maybe used to. The only time my Touch asks is if I connect via USB to the computer. Not sure if it would make any difference to behaviour if you were using a USB cable plugged into an adapter rather than a phone charger cord.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
If you are just plugging it into a wall charger my Kobo Touch doesn't ask if I want to connect or not. I think the Wifi maybe used to. The only time my Touch asks is if I connect via USB to the computer. Not sure if it would make any difference to behaviour if you were using a USB cable plugged into an adapter rather than a phone charger cord.
Ah, sorry, I'm on the Wifi - didn't realize they'd changed it!
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
LibraryCin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Ok, thank you. That is what mine did (that is, it didn't ask anything). It does ask to connect when I plug it into the computer, though.

hmmm, I only have the charger and the adapter that came with the charger. I still haven't needed to try charging it again (yet), but will try again here at home soon.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Interesting... I found I had a Blackberry charger at home; I think it came with a BlueTooth headset I bought recently.

Plugging a USB cable into it results in the Touch charging but NOT displaying the message "computer detected".

RIM Part #: HDW-24481-001
Model: RIM-C-0004ADUUS-001
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote