Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
The ebook version of "Stranded on a desert island"

So, you're the only survivor of a shipwreck, and you're stranded on a desert island. Luckily, your ebook reader has survived the shipwreck, and you had took care to load it with all the books you love before leaving home.

But... there's no electricity on the island, so when the battery is out you will never be able to read anything again. Suppose that you have one week of reading time in total (supposing that the battery consumption for turning it on or off is negligible which is not true in reality), what would you do? Try to read one page a day and turn it off in the meantime, which should last for many days? Save all the battery for a later time when you'll be crazy of not reading?

I think I'd go Fahrenheit 451 and try to learn a book by heart.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'd try to read as much as I could, before dying with a smile on my emaciated face.

I think I'd read that all-time horror favorite, "Zombies with Zits," by Zelda Zasassparin. I'm sure you've heard of it?

Fortunately, before dying, I'd read quite a few more books - but I need to explain myself: You see, I bought next year's model, which utilizes solar energy and wireless transmission.

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring much food on the island, so I will die in about 62 days. My death will be agonizing, hurtful, and painful. However, my ebook Reader (ebookieuse) will continue to work long after my death.

Go figure.

Don
(The Prognosticator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Don, if your next year's model has wireless, couldn't you rig it to transmit an SOS to the outside world?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
And are there any zombies on the island with you?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Don, if your next year's model has wireless, couldn't you rig it to transmit an SOS to the outside world?
No. That would cut into critical reading time!
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Use your wireless to browse to these sites:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2318299_surv...ed-island.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_2358347_surv...rt-island.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Live-on-a-Deserted-Island
http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-on-a-Desert-Island (funny, read the warnings at the bottom )
Or download this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=yu3...age&q=&f=false

mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Honestly, I wouldn't care about my ebook reader, because I'm gonna die really really soon, because I know nothing about survival, and I only have my stick, which isn't going to do me a lot of good at this point.....

And I doubt my wireless would work either.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 AM   #8
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Why do you have a stick? You should trade it in for a towel. Didn't you read the HHGG?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Why do you have a stick?
Pray you never find out.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
mores
Guru

If stick = cane then boy did I put my foot in my mouth, there. Sorry about that, Desertgrandma!