Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Feather_Qwill
Enthusiast
Feather_Qwill began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Make books appear in multiple locations instead of creating hybrid folders

Hi! I've just started using Calibre to organize my ebooks. I can't plug me ereader in directly (the ezreader pocket pro has issues ejecting from a Mac), so I use the Save to Disk feature to save to the sd card.

I've set the file structure to save as

Code:
{#genre}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index} - {title}
which works well for 99% of my books. Usually I tag them with the predominant genre in my custom column, and that organizes them well. But some books fit two genres equally well, so I tag them as both.

I would like such books to be filed in multiple locations (ie: "fantasy" folder and "romance" folder), rather than creating a new folder (ie: "fantasy,romance") which is less than ideal for navigation, organization, and tidiness. (Also I would like to be able to do this with books that have multiple authors.)

To me, the small size of ebook files mean it's well worthwhile to have a few duplicates here and there to make it easier to find and tidier things in my ereader.

So is there a way to set Calibre to save books to multiple folders rather than in a single hybrid folder when saving to disk?
Feather_Qwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
No. There isn't.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Feather_Qwill
Enthusiast

*sadface*

Aww. I like my things to be tidy. I can't believe that with the huge amount of customization available in Calibre, that there's no workaround for this.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather_Qwill View Post
*sadface*

Aww. I like my things to be tidy. I can't believe that with the huge amount of customization available in Calibre, that there's no workaround for this.
If the books with multiple genres are 'not many' then maybe you could copy the folder «Romance/Mary Smith/Highland Fling/1 - Scottish Mist» to «Fantasy/Mary Smith/Highland Fling/1 - Scottish Mist» on the SD card using your computers operating system facilities.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather_Qwill View Post
*sadface*

Most eBook readers work off the metadata stored internally inside the eBook so there is little demand for such a feature - or at least not enough to interest a developer to implement it (so far).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
As I see it, it would be much more untidy to have two copies of the same book, than using two tags to classify the book.

But then I can have Mantano browse, sort and search using tags, so a book can be simultaneously assigned to any number of genres, using tags, without any need for combined genres.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
Feather_Qwill
Enthusiast

Yeah, my ereader is pretty basic, and doesn't support those features. It might *sound* more untidy in theory, having multiple copies, but in reality, the hybrid folders end up being much worse.

IE:

30 in Literature
80 in Fantasy
70 in Sci-Fi
20 in Historical
30 in Romance
90 in Mystery

2 in Literature,Fantasy
1 in Literature,Historical
3 in Literature,Mystery
1 in Literature,Sci-Fi
3 in Sci-Fi,Romance
4 in Sci-Fi,History
2 in Sci-Fi,Mystery
2 in Sci-Fi,Mystery,Romance
6 in Historical,Mystery
5 in Fantasy,Historical
2 in Fantasy,Historical,Romance
4 in Fantasy,Mystery
2 in Fantasy,Mystery,Romance
7 in Fantasy,Romance

(Not my actual stats, just an example)

And in addition to that, my ereader can only show a max of 8 folders/items per page, so getting to anything that starts out higher up in the alphabet is tedious.

Last edited by Feather_Qwill; 06-02-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can use a template that stores the book under the first genre instead of a folder named with all of them. Try
Code:
{#genre:'list_item(list_sort($, 0, ','), 0, ',')'}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index} - {title}
This template in template program mode fetches the #genre column, sorts the items into alphabetic order, then returns the first one in the list.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote