Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #196
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
okay, I've added a null check to get past the current error on a nook:

http://sonyprst1home.googlecode.com/...me-0.0.4.5.apk
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #197
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

okay, I've played around trying to get this to work on a Nook, but it looks like the android system has the database open exclusivly, so I can't even open it read-only.

I will need to get hold of the system apps, so that I can decompile them and see if I can work out wether I can get hold of the books information via a ContentProvider.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #198
met67
Connoisseur
met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
okay, I've played around trying to get this to work on a Nook, but it looks like the android system has the database open exclusivly, so I can't even open it read-only.

I will need to get hold of the system apps, so that I can decompile them and see if I can work out wether I can get hold of the books information via a ContentProvider.
Well, I can open that DB with SQLite Editor with NST and also modify field's value, so it should not be a problem of file access.
met67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #199
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by met67 View Post
Well, I can open that DB with SQLite Editor with NST and also modify field's value, so it should not be a problem of file access.
did you manage to open it from another application? (is SQLite Editor and app running on the Nook?)
Old 01-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #200
met67
Connoisseur
met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
did you manage to open it from another application? (is SQLite Editor and app running on the Nook?)
Yes, it is an Android app from the market which is normally used to edit files on the devices. And yes,I use it on the Nook.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #201
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

okay, I have updated my code so that I use root permissions to change the file permissions of the database.

I can now open the database

if anyone want to test out this version please download

http://sonyprst1home.googlecode.com/...e-0.0.4.12.apk
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #202
met67
Connoisseur

Quote:
okay, I have updated my code so that I use root permissions to change the file permissions of the database.

I can now open the database

Closer, but still no cigar

Now it starts, but shows a dialog saying that it failed to open /data/data... etc .....db.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #203
met67
Connoisseur

Speaking of root,

the other tests never invoked SuperUser to ask for root permissions, this could explain why you wheren't able to open the DB.

After running this latest APK, though, I checked permissions on the DB and it was the same as before:
Code:
# busybox ls -ln
total 404
-rw-rw----    1 10000    10000        48128 Jan 31 11:58 external-469fe3eb.db
-rw-rw----    1 10000    10000       357376 Jan 31 11:58 internal.db
where 10000 is the uid/gid of app_0
Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #204
met67
Connoisseur

After the last post (BTW, are consecutive posts ok? I have found nothing against in the posting guidelines) I chmoded 666 the DB (i.e. granted rw access to averyone) and now it opens the DB and shows the last read book.
It also shows the right number of books in the lower left icon, but I can't select it...: if I try, the screen flashes, SuperUser shows the dialog saying that it has granted root access and then falls back to the starting screen.

Last edited by met67; 01-31-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #205
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

the only thing that should work in this (at the moment) is showing books in the currently reading section at the top.

There is a "/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db" database on my sony prs-t1, but it doesn't have the docs table in it.
when I executed this code on my sony, it came up, asked for root permission, and changed the file permissions correctly, it then opened the database file.

Without a nook myself I'm not sure how to test this out, but I'll keep thinking on it.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #206
met67
Connoisseur

Quote:
the only thing that should work in this (at the moment) is showing books in the currently reading section at the top.

There is a "/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db" database on my sony prs-t1, but it doesn't have the docs table in it.
when I executed this code on my sony, it came up, asked for root permission, and changed the file permissions correctly, it then opened the database file.

Without a nook myself I'm not sure how to test this out, but I'll keep thinking on it.
I think that that DB is the standard "media" DB of Android, the one which is updated by the media scanner process and B&N just modified it...

How do you change permissions?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #207
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

yes, the database is a standard (it's on my HTC phone and Sony eReader), but B&N added the docs table (which contains the ebook data).

I would guess that there is a Content Provider to read books out of it, but I can't investigate without a nook myself.

Changing permissions is done with an 'su' command, which is why I need root permissions.

So far, only 1 person has donated, so there really isn't that much interest in Nook version.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #208
NotAPirate
NotAPirate began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Hi, i just found out about your launcher and it looks much cooler than the original nook interface. i'm trying to get a Nook Touch on ebay right now and as soon as i get it, i'll try your software. Maybe you should start a Thread on XDA if you need more help, advices and funds.
NotAPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #209
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:

With this version, once I navigate to the third screen then pressing the left button in the bottom left corner of the screen to try to navigate back to the first two screens appears to do nothing on my T1.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #210
rpelton
rpelton began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
yes, the database is a standard (it's on my HTC phone and Sony eReader), but B&N added the docs table (which contains the ebook data).

I would guess that there is a Content Provider to read books out of it, but I can't investigate without a nook myself.

Changing permissions is done with an 'su' command, which is why I need root permissions.

So far, only 1 person has donated, so there really isn't that much interest in Nook version.
Just to let you know, I donated 20 pounds. Keep on with the work !

Ron
rpelton is offline   Reply With Quote