Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
No wishlist for the Sony Connect store?

As I started to browse the Sony Connect e-book store, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a wishlist feature. Anyone find such a feature in the store anywhere?

Personally, I like to find "candidate" books before I buy one, and a wishlist is the perfect mechanism for doing that. No big deal to make a list somewhere else, but a shame you can't do that as part of the store.

I can also see that there is some weakness at the store for browsing books. Searches are also not very robust with respect to bad spelling.

It may turn out that the store is just going to be the store, i.e. used only for the actual purchases. We may end up mostly picking out books from other sites like Amazon. Of course, that might lead us to end up buying an actual paper book if the e-book is not available... yikes! ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Like the Connect software I've got my fingers crossed that the store was kept barebones to get it out the door and that we'll see significant upgrades.

To their credit, everything does seem to work pretty well for a first go.

Last edited by BobVA; 10-05-2006 at 07:02 AM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
vanker
vanker began at the beginning.

They should have a wishlist and a "If you like this book, you might like..." feature as well. That would help a lot while browsing...
vanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA
To their credit, everything does seem to work pretty well for a first go.
I've been very impressed so far at how well the basics work for the device, the Connect software and the store. All the discussions and concerns so far are all related to non-core issues. It's really solid. In fact, my production unit seems to even have a crisper looking display than the pre-production demo I used. And the reading experience is better than ever, and continues to be easy on the eyes.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
I'm sure they will add "Wishlist" and "You might like" functionality. It may be also a good idea to add "Excerpt" feauture to all the books.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
customer reviews of books.

Hell, just totally rip off amazons website.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd like to see "By Author" added to the list of sorting options.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #8
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
customer reviews of books.

Hell, just totally rip off amazons website.
I think you can do it already? There is probably no "Rating" thingy yet.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
The Sony store is soooooo slow. I really dislike the navigation. And the minimal amount of books available is shocking.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I agree. One of my biggest gripes about ebooks is that I can't find the books that I find at Barnes & Noble. BN/Borders both have these fantastic tables as you walk in, and I find a lot of good contemporary fiction there. In fact, a lot of times I'll go there to find the books I want to read, write them down in my PocketPC, and then go home to search for an ebook version.

With the lack of those more popular categories/genres, I'm afraid I may have to resort to doing the "buy the paperback and go home and scan it" trick. That should be a nice little time sink.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

It's pretty much up to the publishers as to what books get included. I'm sure the selection will expand. Especially if the store is successful.

I saw on eReader (the most popular ebook store, isn't it) that they have "17,000+ books" and they have been around a while. So 10,000+ at Sony on rollout seems pretty good.

And remember that success with Sony Reader, Sony Connect, and ebooks in general equals more book selection, and eventually lower ebook device costs also!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I'd like to see them have the same sort of success iTunes has enjoyed. Starting out with almost nothing and escalating to its current heights. It'd be great to just browse there and pick up a new book in the middle of the night. Something I've wanted to do far more than I ever felt the need for a certain song.

Nothing worse than reaching the end of a novel only to realise it's part of a series and you can't get the sequel for a few days.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Bob - I think my dismay is that there are so many books out there that are already in digital format. How long could it take to transform these books? It is also a little frustrating. I mean, there are hundreds, literally, of romance books in every genre that are available in ebook format but at Sony, I get maybe 120? That's just crazy to me.

There were only a handful of new releases there. I counted maybe 6 when the ebook release for romances for the month of October from major publishers that are all "working with" Sony exceed 50.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I love eReader -- I've used them since 2000. I love that they still have the first books I bought back in 2000 as well on their library. I also love their DRM. No way will I give a book to someone else.....that's my name and credit card number!

But over the years I've been able to use those books on all my devices with no problems. I only wish I could convert them to BBeB now
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote