Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
bebook getting wifi, what about cybook ?

anyone think the gen3 has hope of getting wifi enabled SD card support in future firmware? do any signs point to yes ?
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Wifi has to be supported by the firmware (some driver is needed). So far there have been no indications that Bookeen is planning on adding wifi connectivity to gen3 cybooks. And I myself don't see it as very likely. It would be great though.

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-17-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does the SD card controller in the CyBook support SDIO? If not, no WiFi! I have to admit that it's not something I'd have any particular use for personally - I never used the WiFi on my iLiad when I had that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I personally see no use for it. It will be a heavy drain on the battery compared to the unit itself. So you will want to switch it off during normal use. And if you have to switch it on for the transfer of a book (once a week max) it will be faster to plug in the USB cable. You will have to do that anyway to recharge the unit. So for me wifi is only extra work, extra money end extra short battery life

Last edited by Ortep; 03-17-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I personally see no use for it. It will be a heavy drain on the battery compared to the unit itself. So you will want to switch it off during normal use. And if you have to switch it on for the transfer of a book (once a week max) it will be faster to plug in the USB cable. You will have to do that anyway to recharge the unit. So for me wifi is only extra work, extra money end extra short battery life
That might be true for a specific implementation but you can implement support for WiFi always being on and still have good battery times as seen in the Nokia internet tablets.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I was looking at the Netronix site and wondering the same thing. It looks like they've dropped the EB100 model (which is what the Cybook hardware is). If they keep with the same OEM you can see they have options for Wifi. They appear to have put in larger batteries as well.

http://www.netronixinc.com/product_e-book.htm
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherspin View Post
anyone think the gen3 has hope of getting wifi enabled SD card support in future firmware? do any signs point to yes ?

Sounds like a bloated warthog: waste of time.

How about PDF reflow and Folder options. That seems more realistic and useful.

hidari
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That might be true for a specific implementation but you can implement support for WiFi always being on and still have good battery times as seen in the Nokia internet tablets.
Even if highly optimized, there will always some power drain. As I remember you were the one complaining about the battery life. It will not improve when you add wifi.

Even if they redesign the complete GEN3 to a extremely energy efficient GEN4with wifi, the same device will last longer with the wifi switched off.

You won't get wifi for free
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherspin View Post
Personally, I have no interest. The current hardware (no touchscreen, no keyboard) wouldn't much lend itself to usability of a wireless feature.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Even if highly optimized, there will always some power drain. As I remember you were the one complaining about the battery life. It will not improve when you add wifi.

Even if they redesign the complete GEN3 to a extremely energy efficient GEN4with wifi, the same device will last longer with the wifi switched off.

You won't get wifi for free
It will not improve but I am not sure it will get much worse especially if they solve some other power drain problems. There is a low power consumption mode for WiFi and as I understand it it only consume power at some checkpoints if you are not using it. Very few devices implements this mode but it is used in e.g. N810 and the battery last longer than the Cybook even if you are constantly connected to WiFi.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #11
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I am not interested either on wifi.
What I want is a better screen (a 7 or 8 inch one, with better contrast), a better hardware (better buttons), a faster page turn, a better software...

How hard is it to connect the Cybook to a computer?

I want an excelent ebook reader, not a nice pricey gadget.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

[QUOTE=nelsonescorcio;401253
How hard is it to connect the Cybook to a computer?
[/QUOTE]

Pretty hard if you want to use the net connection to synchronize the page you are at with different reading devices because then you probably will notice that it is not synched when you do not have physical access to a computer and the Cybook.

A net connection can be used to enhance the reading experience.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
No use for wifi either for me!
faster page turn, folders, no delay on turn on...yes!
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Well said in a NUT SHELL
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Pretty hard if you want to use the net connection to synchronize the page you are at with different reading devices because then you probably will notice that it is not synched when you do not have physical access to a computer and the Cybook.
Is this really essencial to you? Even important?

Don't get me wrong: if I could get an wifi connection for free, I would want one. I'd probably use it now and then. But since it isn't free (it does costs some euros to integrate it in a device), I just prefer to skip it.

Off course it is natural that some people actually find it usefull (and not only "cool").
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote