Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Pinksugar
Pinksugar began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch and Sony Reader
Question Need help with book conversion

Good Morning Everyone,

Love this forum. I just got my Sony reader on the weekend and now am wanting to format some of my books for the reader.

This is where the confusion begins for me. I have searched and read the forum and still come away shaking my head. I am not new to a computer nor am I a novice user but for some reason I am confused on what to do or even how I should do it.

I understand the reader will read rtf and text as well as pdf and the sony format. Most of my books are in a prc format which I can easily convert to text. However I end up with a bit of a mess on some of my books and I would like to get them cleaned up some how. I have partial sentences that need to be joined together to make whole sentences. Not sure if that makes any sense or not.

I used to read my books on a palm handheld and then more recently my iPod touch. But I now want to use my reader. So much easier on the eyes.

For me it does not matter if I have them in the sony format. The most important thing is the formatting of the book.

Can someone please help me.

Ruby
Pinksugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What format are you attempting to convert from?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Pinksugar

I have them converted right now to a text format. I also have a few pdf's as well converted over to text.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDF conversion is always problematic because a PDF files contains no information about paragraph, lines, or even words, come to that. I'm afraid that really all you can do is to load the resulting file into an editor and clean it up by hand.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Harry is correct, alas.

Some PDFs need a lot of editing.

But you also mention mobi to text conversions: if it is merely the usual problem with hard carriage breaks at the end of every line (leading to line breaks in strange places) then inserting the text file into Word and running Stingo's macro can work really well.
You can find it here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8793

Also people speak very highly of =X='s Book Creator tool:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313

And on a Mac, I am told that you can use textmate.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
If you have your ebooks in txt format, half the battle is over.

Like HarryT says, you can load the file into an editor and clean it up by hand. That's the way I usually do it now. It can take an hour or two or more, but I end up with a file that looks just the way I want it.

Once I have the file in txt format I use a freebie program called "E-Book Tidy" to get rid of split lines, page numbers, blank lines, odd symbols and other annoyances. Then I use MS WORD and skim through the whole book to make any other corrections. When I've finished, I apply a font size of 16 to give a good reading size on the Sony, with larger sized fonts for title and chapter headings. Then I save it in RTF format.

While there are various programs to convert files automatically for the Sony, they don't always do a perfect job. I prefer to do it by hand. It's slow and labour intensive, but I watch TV or listen to music while I do it.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I believe that Calibre will convert from prc (Mobipocket) to lrf pretty well. Certainly a lot better than going through a text format first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinksugar View Post

Most of my books are in a prc format

For me it does not matter if I have them in the sony format. The most important thing is the formatting of the book.

Can someone please help me.

Ruby
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
jaffab
Enthusiast
jaffab is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
If you have your ebooks in txt format, half the battle is over.

Like HarryT says, you can load the file into an editor and clean it up by hand. That's the way I usually do it now. It can take an hour or two or more, but I end up with a file that looks just the way I want it.

Once I have the file in txt format I use a freebie program called "E-Book Tidy" to get rid of split lines, page numbers, blank lines, odd symbols and other annoyances. Then I use MS WORD and skim through the whole book to make any other corrections. When I've finished, I apply a font size of 16 to give a good reading size on the Sony, with larger sized fonts for title and chapter headings. Then I save it in RTF format.

While there are various programs to convert files automatically for the Sony, they don't always do a perfect job. I prefer to do it by hand. It's slow and labour intensive, but I watch TV or listen to music while I do it.
Hi,

There is a good discussion on converting PDFs (and the problems they have on word wrapping) to other format including a link to tools, and options here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30263

You will see a post from me, including how I convert a PDF to a RFT with the correct word wrapping and easy to read styles. It takes me about 5 minutes a book, from start to finish, and the results are a lot better than PDFs, or having to edit by hand.

Hope this helps

Jaffa
jaffab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Pinksugar

Thank you all for your kind replies ..It gives me now something to work with ..Hopefully I can do it
Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Good luck Pinksugar. Tell us how you get on.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #11
Pinksugar

I ended up using =X='s Book Creator Tool and then also installed calibre and have managed to fix a few books up quite nicely.

Thank you all so much for the assistance. I was so lost in wondering what to do. I had tried so many things and could not figure any of it out.

Have a wonderful day!!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinksugar View Post
I understand the reader will read rtf and text as well as pdf and the sony format. Most of my books are in a prc format which I can easily convert to text.
Since most of your eBooks are in PRC, download and install Calibre http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ and use the program mobi2lrf to convert your PRC to LRF without having to ruin your PRC by converting to text. Calibre does a good job converting and you should be pleased with the results.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
Ok instead of starting a new thread i might aswell use this one, with all the hassle of converting pdf's to the lrf format is best to just leave them as pdf's? i have yet got my ebook reader yet it is hopefully coming by tuesday but i would like to get some books ready to put on it. The books i want to put on it are computer books and so are quite large and i imagine it takes a long time to edit them so they make sense again after they have been converted.

Also does the prs505 resize pdf pages so that on page fits the screen?
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuliand View Post
Ok instead of starting a new thread i might aswell use this one, with all the hassle of converting pdf's to the lrf format is best to just leave them as pdf's? i have yet got my ebook reader yet it is hopefully coming by tuesday but i would like to get some books ready to put on it. The books i want to put on it are computer books and so are quite large and i imagine it takes a long time to edit them so they make sense again after they have been converted.

Also does the prs505 resize pdf pages so that on page fits the screen?
the latest firmware for the PRS505 reflows the text on the page for PDF files so that the font size remains the same but the page will extend to several pages on the device. See PDF in the wiki to understand reflow.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote