Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #16
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
So, going forward, do you all recommend converting to Azw3 instead of mobi? I still have a kindle keyboard, but I think it handles the azw3 as well. I don't mind doing a new backup all in AZW3, so long as that is going to continue.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
For many reasons azw3 is the better format. And your Kindle Keyboard with up to date firmware does support it. However, if you are happy with .mobi I see no need for you to go to the trouble of converting everything. In most cases I doubt .azw3 will give you a better reading experience.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you are currently buying EPUB and converting to MOBI, then you should definitely convert to AZW3 instead. (There is no reason to specifically convert to the inferior format.)

I don't see any particularly dire need to convert from MOBI originals into AZW3, and in general I like to say "the fewer conversions, the better".
There is certain information that MOBI is simply not sophisticated enough to know about -- that is already gone from the vendor's original conversion to MOBI, if it existed in the original sources. Converting to AZW3 won't regain, say, SVG images, or put all the styles back in stylesheets (something which only matters for the sake of further editing).

As darryl said, if your reading experience is not currently suffering from reading MOBI, then there is no need to convert all your MOBIs to AZW3 just for the sake of doing so.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-24-2016 at 06:45 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote