Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Kindle Update Released

The Kindle's first update was just announced. You can find out more here.

I forgot my Kindle today, so I won't be able to update it right now.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what does this new update fix, break, and add?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Kindle's first update was just announced. You can find out more here.

I forgot my Kindle today, so I won't be able to update it right now.
Interesting that they have a support number for outside the US.
Why don't they tell us what they fixed?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
I just updated my Kindle to the new update. For some reason I had to download the update to my computer and move it to the Kindle. Not sure why I couldn't get it wirelessly. Anyway...the update went smooth but I can't see anything new or different with the update.

If anyone discovers anything cool with the new update...let us know :-)

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Engadget is reporting that the update isn't... er.. complete, and managed to wipe their Kindle.

May want to avoid it till we know more.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is from the Engadget posting dated February 14, 2008.

Quote:
Ok, we just got off the phone with Amazon support, they're claiming the update was released too early and isn't the "real" update which is supposedly due out later this week. We're confirming with Amazon corporate what the hell is going on.
So basically do not update your Kindle just yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
I had no problems with mine and it is working great. Been using it since I did the update.

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Frak me! Well I am updating mine right now, so we'll see. It says not to stop during the update so too late now....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Post Kindle Update 1.0.4

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/14/k...te-now-v1-0-4/

Engadget says the first update is here (or maybe on the way).
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Well I am updating mine right now, so we'll see. It says not to stop during the update so too late now....
Ditto!! And I'm usually so paranoid about "wait till somebody ELSE reports about it...." But I have no pre-Kindle books, so I figured it couldn't break anything.

Done. It looks fine here. (First glance, anyway.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hasn't started to support folders in the directory.

It DOES appear to search within books for a search word now. Not sure if it did before or not --- somebody just today posted a message saying they wished it would, so I tried it earlier this morning, and it didn't. But perhaps this book hadn't been indexed yet. Anyway, it DOES find a word within books. Now, if not before.

Nothing else new, that I can see immediately.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Whew! Nothing bad happened. The update went fine. It's updated and shows the new version number, but I don't notice anything different either, so maybe it's a very minor update.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Hasn't started to support folders in the directory.

It DOES appear to search within books for a search word now. Not sure if it did before or not --- somebody just today posted a message saying they wished it would, so I tried it earlier this morning, and it didn't. But perhaps this book hadn't been indexed yet. Anyway, it DOES find a word within books. Now, if not before.

Nothing else new, that I can see immediately.
It does search inside files. If you have a book that wasn't searched, then it likely wasn't indexed yet.

P.S. My upgrade is running right now.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/14/k...te-now-v1-0-4/

Engadget says the first update is here (or maybe on the way).
You didn't beat me this time. (*maniacal laugh*)
Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
This site has a link to the update for USB users.

http://mobilitysite.com/2008/02/kind...update-to-104/
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote