Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #136
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I like having one device you can read in dim light or in direct sunlight.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #137
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
My question is mainly directed toward members who now own a front-lit e-ink reader, but please feel free to jump in if you do not meet this qualification.

Would you ever buy another e-ink device that does not have this front-lit capability
Maybe. I have a shiny new Kindle PW (SO WiFi) that I bought to replace my dying K3 (3G). I didn't particularly buy it for the light, although that's a minor plus. I bought it for the reported faster response times, which it has. My suspicion is that the microprocessor and video controller have TWO mice on little wheels in them, as opposed to only one on the older generations*. The smaller size and lighter weight (due to the loss of the keyboard) was also a good thing.

If the price difference between the stock Kindle and the PW had been a little more, I'd have gone for the stock. The added features of the PW made the price difference just worth it.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

*IIRC the K1-K3 used a Dragon Ball processor! WTF? A Dragon Ball? Really? Did they come jumbled in big crates like Eastman Gelatin used to transport pig snouts?
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #138
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Processors have blitzin' names nowadays, such as Snapdragon (Qualcomm mobile device cpu), Bulldozer (AMD desktop cpu), Exynos (Samsung mobile device cpu) or Bionz (Sony camera cpu).

Didn't you know? Names are everything, so nobody knows what the things actually can do. Makes it simple
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #139
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
I might. I don't have a frontlit reader. In the last six months, we've purchased two Sony T1s at our house. The first was for our anniversary. It was on sale and my wife had expressed a desire. I was supposed to be allowed to use it sometimes, but she started loving it too much. The second was a Sony refurb for me for Christmas. It was only $80, with an unlit Sony case included. Both of these purchases were heavily influenced by price. Spending something like $220 on e-readers was already a big splurge. The price premium for the Kobo Glo could not be justified. Kindle Paperwhite was not available in Canada, but I'd never buy a Kindle anyway. I want EPUB and I want it to work with my public library, which the T1 does flawlessly.

I can see the value of the front light. I just don't think I could justify paying a lot more for it. If I want to read in the dark, my phone works well enough. Turning the screen to white on black text makes it much less tiring on my eyes. I also consider the frontlit technology somewhat experimental. Stories about the colour cast, uneven lighting, and possible problems with screen damage make me leery of jumping right in. My Sony should last for a while. By the time it needs replacing, the technology will be more developed and, hopefully, priced better. If I like what I see, I'll get one, if not, I'll see what else is available.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #140
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
I'm very curious about this.

I now have two front-lit e-ink devices (Kindlewhite and Kobok Glo) and I'm so happy with the technology, that I don't see myself ever buying another e-ink reader that does NOT have this as part of the built-in technology. My thinking is: It can only get better.

My question is mainly directed toward members who now own a front-lit e-ink reader, but please feel free to jump in if you do not meet this qualification.

Would you ever buy another e-ink device that does not have this front-lit capability?

Don
If my DX-G failed or was lost I would definitely try to find another one as I regard it as the most satisfactory reader in good light. I also love my PW for reading in bed, much better than any book light. Prior to buying a PW I used to clip a focused goose-neck lamp to the bedhead for night reading and it disturbed my wife if she was not also reading. She has no objection to the PW although she does not want one herself - she uses the external lamp.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #141
immutability
immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Last Friday I played with the friend's new Kobo Glo, and compared it to my Sony T1. I was excited about the front lit ePaper ever since I first heard about it. I don't use a clip-on light with my T1 but there are occasions when I need one.

I really liked the light. It's pretty uniform, and reminded me of the first laptops with BW passive LCDs back in the 90s. Also the improved resolution of the screen is nice. There are things I didn't like about Kobo, but that would mean comparing the readers and not the displays. If I was to choose again between the T1 and the Kobo Glo, it would be a difficult decision. If I was offered a T1 successor with a front lit screen, I'd definitely go for it. Even if I would use it 5% of the time, it would be nice to have.
immutability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #142
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
If my DX-G failed or was lost I would definitely try to find another one as I regard it as the most satisfactory reader in good light. I also love my PW for reading in bed, much better than any book light. Prior to buying a PW I used to clip a focused goose-neck lamp to the bedhead for night reading and it disturbed my wife if she was not also reading. She has no objection to the PW although she does not want one herself - she uses the external lamp.

I had to angle my gooseneck away from my wife. (Although, if we'd had an argument, I was inclined to do otherwise.)

It was a hassle angling it, dimming it, looking for the best sweet spot to illuminate the text in the best way I found to be favorable for my type of reading, etc., etc.

Goodbye gooseneck. One problem solved.

The other problem: I still have my wife.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #143
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I had to angle my gooseneck away from my wife. (Although, if we'd had an argument, I was inclined to do otherwise.)

Don
Had the same problem with my husband. I went through a gooseneck light, K3 Lighted case and a Kindle Fire. He complained about them all. He has no problems with the Paperwhite. I read on it all the time while he's sawing logs next to me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #144
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I don't sleep much (too little probably), and because of work and travel, if I do sleep, it's often at strange hours, like from 7:00 to 14:00, after being awake for 24 hours straight. Do you *never* sleep or something?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #145
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I don't sleep much (too little probably), and because of work and travel, if I do sleep, it's often at strange hours, like from 7:00 to 14:00, after being awake for 24 hours straight. Do you *never* sleep or something?
We sleep during the day. Hubby works nights. We have dinner after midnight and go to bed at dawn. I can never just fall alseep and reading helps me unwind. You will seldom ever see a post from me before noon.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #146
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I don't think so. It's wonderful to be able to read anywhere and anytime without worrying about having a light, particularly because I only use a cover when away from home. It makes for a very light, stream lined reading experience.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #147
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have, right now, a Kindle Basic and a Kindle Paperwhite. I've been reading with the Kindle Basic and my Kindle Keyboard, which is now dead, for two years or so but now that I have the Paperwhite I'm reluctant to read on the Kindle Basic. I doubt I will again. It's my "backup" device. I need a glass box for my Basic with a little hammer and a sign that says, "In case of emergency, break glass".
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #148
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OK - so I've used my PW a bit more now. Forgetting about the front light, I have to say I like the device better than my Kindle Keyboard. Some of the features I just really like.

Back to the front light, if I'm outside in the sun, I turn the light to the lowest setting because despite what is recommended there is absolutely no difference between a full setting and low setting that I can detect - so why waste the battery.

However, inside is a different story. When it is quite light inside, or I'm reading next to a window during the day, I find lighting the screen halfway improves the look of the screen considerably over my previous Kindle and if I light it just right it's not "glowy" at all, just crisp text on a much lighter grey background.

When the light is more dim inside, with the previous Kindle, I would turn on the main lights and sometimes a strategically placed lamp to make sure my view was always clear and comfortable. Not required with the PW. In fact, I can leave all the lights off and just slowly dim my screen as it gets darker inside. This is nice because it means I really don't have to move to adjust my reading conditions.

At night in bed, I would have a bedside lamp on and that would be OK on my previous Kindle, but I would often get complaints. On camping trips I would use a clip on light which I'm not overly fond of. I find lights that you attach really annoying and awkward in general. Additionally (with lights off), I would often read on my Galaxy Note mobile with black background and white text on a reasonably dim setting. With the PW, the only thing that's bothered me a little is that the "glowiness" of the screen bothers me a little. I turn it right down to the recommended level and I still find it a bit of a strange read. At this stage I wouldn't say it's bad - but something I need to get used to.

I believe there are some theories about the quality of your sleep if you're looking at a computer screen just prior to sleep. I'm not sure if this is specifically an LCD/backlit issue or would apply to any screen that glows brightly enough.

OK - anything else? Well yeah, I guess there is something. Sometimes I notice slightly less crisp, lighter text in patches on the screen. It may be my eyes that are at fault here rather than the screen.

In summary, I don't think at this stage I would want to go back to a non-front lit eReader. The benefits so far are outweighing any possible disadvantages. If things change I'll report back, but hopefully there will be no need.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #149
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

The lighter text is a bug for those who don't have the PW set to refresh every page.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #150
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The lighter text is a bug for those who don't have the PW set to refresh every page.
Interesting. I thought it might have been my imagination. I don't have a refresh every page, so perhaps that's it. I'll monitor the situation and experiment with the two settings and see if I notice any difference.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote