Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #76
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Again wrong. A Wanted Man is $13.99 and the price was set by the publisher.

http://www.amazon.com/Wanted-Man-Rea...s=a+wanted+man
If you are saying I am wrong then you are wrong. Notice that I am in Sweden and obviously does not get the same information and price for the books that you get in the US.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If you are saying I am wrong then you are wrong. Notice that I am in Sweden and obviously does not get the same information and price for the books that you get in the US.
Sorry about that.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just to be clear: This was a U.S. judge ruling on a settlement reached between the U.S. DOJ and three publishers who chose to settle rather than go to a U.S. court. I'm not certain why you would expect this ruling to have any effect on ebooks published outside the U.S.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #79
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Books often have publishers in different countries.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #80
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just to be clear: This was a U.S. judge ruling on a settlement reached between the U.S. DOJ and three publishers who chose to settle rather than go to a U.S. court. I'm not certain why you would expect this ruling to have any effect on ebooks published outside the U.S.
Very true, this ruling will have zero effect on pricing outside the US.
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #81
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is not published outside the US. I buy my Kindle books from US amazon and the publishers are US publishers.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #82
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
From Politico:

Quote:
Court hands Amazon major e-book victory

A judge approved a massive Department of Justice e-book settlement. | AP, Reuters Photos
By DAVID SALEH RAUF | 9/9/12 10:47 PM EDT

Chalk up a colossal victory for Amazon in its ongoing war against Apple for control of pricing in the e-books market.

In a ruling that shakes up the entire publishing industry, U.S. District Judge Denise Cote on Thursday approved the Justice Department’s settlement with a trio of publishers accused of conspiring with Apple to jack up digital book prices.

With her ruling, Cote set in motion the termination of contracts between Apple and three of the nation’s largest publishers — HarperCollins, Hachette and Simon & Schuster — and placed control of pricing for e-books back in the hands of retailers, particularly Amazon.

“This is huge for Amazon,” said Paul Aiken, executive director of the Authors Guild, which opposed the settlement out of fear that Amazon’s pricing structure could put brick-and-mortar book stores out of business. “And a big blow for Apple.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...61.html?hp=r10
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #83
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
It is not published outside the US. I buy my Kindle books from US amazon and the publishers are US publishers.
and

Quote:
It seems hard to reconcile those two statements.
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #84
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Do you purchase through a VPN? Unless you appear to be purchasing from the U.S. or have your device registered in the U.S. and appear to be an American purchasing while abroad, you may purchase from Amazon.com and it show a different publisher. It's technically a different publisher even though "Transworld Publishers Inc. is a British publishing division of Random House." (Wiki) Different contracts, different pricing, etc...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #85
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Front page of the Kindle version of the book:
I've seen it on Amazon's page too. Taken from A Wanted Man on Amazon

Sold by: Random House Digital, Inc.
This price was set by the publisher

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #86
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Do you purchase through a VPN? Unless you appear to be purchasing from the U.S. or have your device registered in the U.S. and appear to be an American purchasing while abroad, you may purchase from Amazon.com and it show a different publisher. It's technically a different publisher even though "Transworld Publishers Inc. is a British publishing division of Random House." (Wiki) Different contracts, different pricing, etc...
This is then kind of absurd. I am not allowed to buy books from Amazon UK but I am allowed to buy books by British publishers from Amazon US. I had assumed that I bought US editions when buying from Amazon US.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #87
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
This is then kind of absurd. I am not allowed to buy books from Amazon UK but I am allowed to buy books by British publishers from Amazon US. I had assumed that I bought US editions when buying from Amazon US.
It made more sense when you had physical editions published in different countries. Same file from the same server published by essentially different companies depending on where the purchaser lives? Yes, absurd. Random House is owned by Bertelsmann, a German company. They aren't particularly American anyway.